Roman Coin found in some pennies!

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
After my son went to bed last night I searched 9,500 customer rolled pennies. I thought I was doing really well when early in the batch I found a 1901 Hungary 2 Filler. It's one of the oldest foreign coins I've come across and is in great shape. Things got way better towards the end when in a roll that might have been from the same person (same, common wrapper) I found what I first thought was a smashed penny, but on closer inspection looked like some sort of ancient coin. I could hardly believe it! Could it be? I've dreamed about finding something like this. It's taken me a lot of research, but I now believe I've found a Roman coin from the usurper Postumus, 260-268!! In a roll of pennies ... hard to believe. It's a got a lot of greening, but there's some good detail on the front of it. (I might consult some experts about cleaning it, but won't do so before.) I can definitely read the whole obverse legend. Here's a picture of the coin I found, plus a picture of a similar one in better condition. (I can't find a better picture of the same coin just yet.) Please no one tell me it's some sort of fake! ;)

Happy hunting!

Brian

Attachments

• hungary_2_filler_1901.JPG
    hungary_2_filler_1901.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 503
  • postumus_260-268.JPG
    postumus_260-268.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 517
  • post.jpg
    post.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 516
Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
yeap, looks like a roman coin to me :icon_thumleft:

I don't thing cleaning would do much! You could put boot polish on it, or renaissance wax if you have any!

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Congratulations Kestrelia! I hope it's real. It's got to be kinda cool holding a coin that old and just thinking about the people that might have carried it, and what they may have purchased with it :thumbsup:!! Every old coin found can be a history lesson.. Good luck, Gpurs...

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
"Veni, vidi, vici" 8)

mucho kudos there K................good luck on having it authenticated.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so cool,a coin over 1700 years old.Makes Indian Heads look like recent pocket change.Good luck with the authentication.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Roman coin found in US circulation club. Unless I am forgetting someone, I think we are the only two members on this board... :)

If I remember right, I think yours may be older than mine.

If you want to verify your ID, put in the forum section for ID'ing stuff. Those guys are pretty good. They helped me confirm my ID. They also can probably give you some indication to its value and if cleaning would have a detrimental effect. In my case I used water, soap, and a toothbrush with the bristles cut down and a lot of elbow grease to get most of the gunk off. I needed to do it, just to get an ID which is different than your case.

Either way, congrats on a well deserved odd find!

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Absolutly Awsome.

A coin Roll Hunters Dream find. At least this CRH's dream.

Congratulations on a fantanstic find. Well deserved.

Mojo

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
id just contact crusader... he's the roman god of the forums imho

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome find K. It amazes me how this coin was still in circulation. Bigtime kudos to you.

mountainman 2 said:
That is so cool,a coin over 1700 years old.Makes Indian Heads look like recent pocket change.

Well said!!

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. That coin actually looks more ancient Greek than ancient Roman.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
unbelievable.....you never know what you'll find in this game :thumbsup:
id just contact crusader... he's the roman god of the forums imho
ditto.....Crusader is from the U.K. and him and his father have some unbelievable finds. they have been on the banner like 7 times. you can find him in "todays finds". i would p.m. him and ask his opinion. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread