Ok looks like were going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• SDC11460.JPG
    SDC11460.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,018
Upvote 0

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

The marks in the photo look like someone actually used those for Poker Chips and were not intended as tags. IMHO

Mojo

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

coinmojo said:
The marks in the photo look like someone actually used those for Poker Chips and were not intended as tags. IMHO

Mojo

Although they may appear as poker chips in the photo, they are not used as such. What happens is the CRHer marks the whole roll at once with a stripe with a marker down the side of the roll. When the coins are dispersed back into rolls they are not lined up exactly as they were when the CRHer marked them, so the marks seem like poker chips and the marks appear more spread out.

I imagine each coin only has one "notch" mark each, unlike poker chips that have spaced out marks all around the sides.

I have seen coins marked like this quite often in my area with a black marker, as well as coins that were marked with a sharp object and have an indention cut onto the side, much like the ones in the photo that were marked with ink.

Just another way some CRHer with too much time on his/her hands can mark up coins that others may want to put into a Dansco or other folder.

Jim

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

Anthony....i just noticed your avatar is on the banner.....now i gotta go read it. :thumbsup:

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009

...or this crap that is popping up in the PNW with 1974's only...

Attachments

• 0810092256.jpg
    0810092256.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 650

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is something I have never heard of before.

Why are they marked then? Is color a specific thing? I have found ones that are all red or all yellow (both sides of the coins), but I know they are because someone used them in a street coin game.

I'm curious, especially since, last week, I opened a roll of quarters (machine wrapped) that had an X (in black) across both the face and the back, the full size of the coins. About 10 in one roll, and I think 5 or 6 in the second roll.

Does that mean something?

B

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

Does that mean something?
yes it does.....it means some inconsiderate person who searches coins is marking them so he can save time by not having to check them again and/or because he just wants to see if he is getting his own coins back. he does not care that someone may want or need that coin for a collection. it is purely a selfish act if you ask me.

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town

CC marks all of his coins. Just ask him, he'll tell you.

~ phrostie

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the info. I still learn something new every day, though this is the first time I have found the X's across the entire coins.

That it definitely inconsiderate - heck, just because it might even be a common coin, it doesn't mean it isn't needed in a collection. Collections consist of both common and uncommon coins.

Geesh :icon_scratch:

B

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

This #*!! must have marked many many boxes. I've opened eight straight boxes with the same large red edge mark on multiple coins in just about every roll. Only found 2 40s in those eight boxes. Very dicouraging to see in the first roll from a box.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fredness said:
...or this crap that is popping up in the PNW with 1974's only...

With the 1974's it is likely an error collector marking off coins that were searched for the error so they are not looked at under magnification again. Although I still don't like it, I at least understand it much more than just blindly marking thousands of coins with no gain.

LastLuke

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2009

I've been a lurker here for a couple of years now. I've only done small amounts (one box a week at most). And maybe it's because I don't see this often enough to get annoyed, but I don't really mind seeing a few marked coins. I say this for a couple of reasons;
1. It can give us some rough information (how many coins are being checked, where they are traveling, how many of us there are, etc.)
2. When I see a marked coin I think "Well, that just means the unmarked one that I have will be more valuable" Let's be honest: We all want our own coin collections to be worth as much as possible when we pass them down to the next generation of our families.
These "Markers" are doing us a favor. The fewer nice coins out there, the more our unmarked collections will be worth.

LastLuke

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2009

Sorry, that was a bit confusing...
I was referring to the guys who mark/scratch coins as "Markers"
They are ruining the numismatic value of the coins they write on.
Each coin that they destroy is one less coin to compete with mine on the open market when I decide to sell.
It's like when farmers used to burn a portion of their crops to keep the prices up.
A rare coin is a valuable coin.
If someone is going to make the value of my coins go up, I don't mind. :wink:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

LastLuke said:
Sorry, that was a bit confusing...
I was referring to the guys who mark/scratch coins as "Markers"
They are ruining the numismatic value of the coins they write on.
Each coin that they destroy is one less coin to compete with mine on the open market when I decide to sell.
It's like when farmers used to burn a portion of their crops to keep the prices up.
A rare coin is a valuable coin.
If someone is going to make the value of my coins go up, I don't mind. :wink:

Although I agree with your logic, I think it will be at least another 50 years or more before clad Kennedy halves will be worth more than 50 cents (not including errors, etc).

I still hate to see all the marked up coins and in my opinion the type of people who do it are the same ones who would throw trash out of their car window as they drive along the highway.

Jim

LastLuke

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2009

I still hate to see all the marked up coins and in my opinion the type of people who do it are the same ones who would throw trash out of their car window as they drive along the highway.

Jim
[/quote]

Well put Jim. It is a very self-serving act to mark coins.
Then again, it could be said that CRHing is a selfish act since we each take out as much silver as we can get our hands on. I guess it's morally ambiguous territory.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

LastLuke said:

Jim
Well put Jim. It is a very self-serving act to mark coins.
Then again, it could be said that CRHing is a selfish act since we each take out as much silver as we can get our hands on. I guess it's morally ambiguous territory.

I would differentiate between CRHing and Marking coins as in the below analogy, although it does not fit 100%.

A CRHer would be akin to a hunter who kills a deer and takes it home to eat. The coin marker would be like the hunter who shoots the deer and leaves it to rot.

Yes CRHers take silver for their own gain, but they don't "waste" like the coin marker who by marking coins ruins the numismatic value needlessly (let's assume there may be some someday) for those who may want the coin for their collection.

I am not an absolutist on the marking issue though. I can see if somebody really, really, really wanted to see if they were getting their rejects back, they could mark only a couple of the super crappy coins that are already damaged or one of the millions of 1995 and 1997 coins out there. It is still not a great thing to do, but it would be better than the markers who like to mark EVERY coin that goes through their hands, even the AU/BU 70's and 80's.

Jim

OP
OP
47thelement

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This as always will remain the 2nd most hotly discussed topic on the CRH forum.

CC will remain in 1st place until we all user ignore him :hello2:

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta

Selling silver half dollars, which end up melted kind of ruins the numismatic value as well :-\. None of you guys have ever sold your silver for melt,,,,have you??? Gpurs....

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

GPURS said:
Selling silver half dollars, which end up melted kind of ruins the numismatic value as well :-\. None of you guys have ever sold your silver for melt,,,,have you??? Gpurs....

Melting would definitely ruin any numismatic value. ;D I believe that most 90 and 40 percent silver you sell to a dealer will get bagged and sold that way as long as the premiums for such are higher than what a refiner pays, as they are now and have been for a while. The smoothed out ones would get melted, but they would not have any numismatic value at that point anyway.

But if the silver coins are yours, you should be able to do what you want, melt them, mark them. But if you don't want them and toss them back into the wild, maybe somebody else would want them for their collection?

Not an important world issue or anything but it seems kind of wasteful in a sense to deface nice AU/BU coins. I would gladly take marked silver coins though. I did find a 90 percent kennedy with a hole in it that somebody marked as a reject. The whole was over the 6 and the genius could not figure out it was a 64. Rim was obviously silver.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread