Ok looks like were going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• SDC11460.JPG
    SDC11460.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,018
Upvote 0

wirebender

Sep 11, 2007
California
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

I get that in my area all of the time. I have seen a ton of people doing red and green lines here in california.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I get a bunch with red fingernail polish on them! drives me nuts

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro

Hey, Piercesdad!! Hey, Wirebender!!
I was also getting a lot of rolls heavily-marked in red and green on the edges a few months ago. Been seeing them again just lately. Highly annoying!!!
- Grizz

Silversound

Jul 11, 2009
SoCal

Yes, I think it's a very inconsiderate habit - especially considering that you may be marking a coin that has no value to you - but in the meantime destroying a coin that would have otherwise had great value to someone else's collection. It may not be silver, but it could have numismatic value beyond what you're interested in (or aware of). Or, it could be the one coin that someone was looking for to complete their Dansco album, but because it's marked it has now lost its value. I agree - keep the marks to yourself.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here in Chicago I would get a ton of halfs with a date writen with a black or blue or red sharpe rigt across the face. I hate seeing that crap!!!!! >:(

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey treasurefiend, like the new avatar. :icon_thumright:

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac

You don't get the Kennedy's with the dirty ear? Some nut in Pittsburgh has nothing better to do than put a black dot on Kennedy's ear. Not a CRH'er, cause I'm getting silver out of these boxes. Gotta winder tho

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

davew0710 said:
You don't get the Kennedy's with the dirty ear? Some nut in Pittsburgh has nothing better to do than put sablack dot on Kennedy's ear. Not a CRH'er, cause I'm getting silver out of these boxes. Gotta winder tho
So, you mean that you are searching non-sealed boxes of someone's dumps? ffd

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another one that I got a ton of was someone would use a purple marker and put a solid box right over the date...... >:(

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac

Fistfulladirt said:
davew0710 said:
You don't get the Kennedy's with the dirty ear? Some nut in Pittsburgh has nothing better to do than put sablack dot on Kennedy's ear. Not a CRH'er, cause I'm getting silver out of these boxes. Gotta winder tho

NOPE...sealed boxes and getting silver out of them.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

davew0710 said:
Fistfulladirt said:
davew0710 said:

You may not be aware of this, but some crh'ers mark clad coin, dump them, then silver gets into the mix before they are machine-rolled and then boxed. Not sure how you know this is not a crh'er marking these coins, unless i'm missing something.

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac

Fistfulladirt said:
davew0710 said:
Fistfulladirt said:
davew0710 said:

You may not be aware of this, but some crh'ers mark clad coin, dump them, then silver gets into the mix before they are machine-rolled and then boxed. Not sure how you know this is not a crh'er marking these coins, unless i'm missing something.

really don'y know who or why....but don't care since it doesn't affect my silver average

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

davew0710 said:
You don't get the Kennedy's with the dirty ear? Some nut in Pittsburgh has nothing better to do than put a black dot on Kennedy's ear. Not a CRH'er, cause I'm getting silver out of these boxes. Gotta winder tho

Probably is a CRHer. What happens at Brinks, and other courier companies, is that the coins are dumped into the "hopper" to be sorted and rolled. More than one bag of dumps get put in at the same time. So you might be getting the marker guy's coins along with a bag of machine coins where grandpa's coin collection was dumped.

It seems from my boxes that the dumps do stay pretty much together in the process though, because I can often see consistency throughout the box, such as the same CRHer mark may be on a large percentage of the coins, but sometimes there are some silver keepers mixed in.

If you are getting boxes in a locale where someone is CRHing 20+ boxes at a time, and he/she dumps the rejects at the same time at the same bank, you can see how it is possible for all of those to be sorted and rolled at the same time and thus produce a several skunk boxes which will be shipped out and the process starts over again.

PS While I have found some keepers in boxes with a lot of marked coins, all of my "dream" and "semi-dream" boxes have been virtually devoid of any marked coins.

Jim

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500

the marker in my area uses a green sharpie and puts a line across the face ???

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac

It seems to me that most of the movement of the halves in circulation could be done by CRH'ers. After all, how often do you get a half in change or even see any at the tellers window?

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250

Thats why when ever I can I buy gas an any other quick items i need like fast food with them to disperse them. Plus i dont do the numbers most do.

OP
OP
47thelement

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I try to get rid of them anywhere I can. I love the look on people's faces and how fast they look for silver in my dumps :laughing7: :laughing7:

I often tell them that there is sense in keeping half dollars because the value of them is not worth the effort. I also make sure to mention that I'm a coin collector so I should know so If they have been holding on to halfs they should just dump them at the bank or give me a call. If you notice I never mention silver that would be misleading. If they dump the silver that is their fault.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

i found a few this week where the %##@ marked the entire edge of the coins. this guy is a genius :sign13:. i'm guessing he is a rim checker and does this so he doesn't recheck his own dumps. now bear with me, if he looks at a coin to see if its silver and sees one of his marks, isn't he already rechecking his own dump :icon_scratch: ;D

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac

You mean you guys dont like my color coded coins? Should I just mark them all the same color next time, or just all black?
Anthony

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread