Yikes! Whats up with the Ikes?

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
Yikes! What's up with the Ikes?

I always ask for "large dollars" when I pick up my coins. Recently I have noticed that Ike dollars are really becoming popular. I've been able to pick up hundreds of Ike's (at different banks) just in the last week. Has anyone else discovered this?

Also, has anyone been successful selling Ike dollars on Ebay? I have noticed people are selling lots of Ike dollars and appear to be making some profit on the lot. Is it worth while or should I continue to dump them at my bank where the teller collects the Ike dollars?

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Re: Yikes! What's up with the Ikes?

I've stumbled upon a few too myself of late, not in the numbers you have though. As for Ebay ain't looked into it, the wife asked me to save them for her, guess you'd have to get that ritght buyer who will pay you enough to make it worth while to do it guess.

People will buy anything have seen those new Lincoln cents sell for Big & I do mean BIG bucks, not sure why myself. :dontknow:

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007

When I was hitting the banks hard a few months ago I came across a lot of them. I bought them and they just sat there. Then about a month ago a dealer - friend (a coin dealer but a great personal friend) called me and said he had some guy at his store looking for Ike's and knew I had a bunch. I ended up selling 400 Ike's for $500, made $0.25 each, I was happy as heck. But I think that was a one in a lifetime thing. Psss... I still am sitting on another 700+ Ike's. I just figure it is like money in the bank, and it is paying about the same zero interest that the bank pays!!! :thumbsup:

I think after the fee's and such I dont think it is really worth the time to sell on Ebay... If you have a teller that collects them, dump them there and maybe karma with pay you back in the future.

Good Luck,
Jason

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Try selling on Craigslist.......i've seen some items go for outrageous prices on there.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

alpha105 said:
Try selling on Craigslist.......i've seen some items go for outrageous prices on there.
That's right, they are advertised as "silver dollars", I have seen them listed at $5 ea., (PT Barnum)....I have seen them go at country auctions for $3-$4 ea. ffd

bmanofnbc

Dec 20, 2004
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SSII & Fisher F75

I sold some Ikes at our yard sale this past weekend for $1.50 each.
I also sold several "Bicentennial sets" with a 1976 quarter, half and Ike for $2.50 per set.

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga

I got 80.00 dollars worth at a CU few months ago in rolls. Ended up with 65.00 BU condition and around 20.00 GEM BU Perfect without any scratches or contact marks. That was the time I ended up with the morgans and peace dollars that was mixed up in there. I wouldn't sell them on ebay after the fees you don't get squat. No matter if you sell them by the rolls or individually.

bocephus

Aug 10, 2009

I have never seen an ike at my bank ,my man, i cant belive that you can sell them for that much nice going my man

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500

not much demand for them around here right now. pawn shop is not interested in buying any. i like them though and i keep everyone i find. i dont go looking for them but if i am offered one at a bank i always get it

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've noticed a lot of Ikes in my area too.I think it's possible that someone is ordering a bag or box of large dollar coins thru the bank, searching them and splitting the returns to a lot of the different banks in the area.The coin counting machines don't take them so they have no choice but to return them to the teller. Just a possibility.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350

I ask often. Picked up some silvers now and then. Got a bag of 40 from a teller a while back. Had 10 silver proofs in it :icon_thumright: - Never gotten a Peace or Morgan yet but if you search long enough it is bound to pop up.There are a few varieties of Ikes that are worth keeping. Here is a link for the 72 variety. Picture is from a great day I had with 10 silver Ikes and a 1834 Capped Bust I got from a teller. (I always like looking at this picture ;D )

http://www.supercoin.com/iketypes/

Maine_Jim

Attachments

• CappedBustand Eisenhowers.jpg
    CappedBustand Eisenhowers.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 334
  • CappedBustand Eisenhowers.jpg
    CappedBustand Eisenhowers.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 312

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

i have quite a few i'm holding onto. only because they are not found in pocket change and many people never saw one before. i think in the future they will be worth more than face due to the simple fact that they are "unusual " and most people have no idea how to acquire them. i feel one day there will be a demand for them. just my opinion.

OP
OP
Ifyndit

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50

Shake-N-Bake said:
I think after the fee's and such I dont think it is really worth the time to sell on Ebay... If you have a teller that collects them, dump them there and maybe karma with pay you back in the future.

Good Luck,
Jason

I took your advise and cashed in all of my Ikes to the teller that collects them hoping that Karma would notice. Well Karma did notice and in return provided me with numerous silver halves (close to record numbers for me per box) and threw in a 1955 Franklin as a nice little bonus. Excellent suggestion!

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007

Ifyndit said:
Shake-N-Bake said:

Good Luck,
Jason

I took your advise and cashed in all of my Ikes to the teller that collects them hoping that Karma would notice. Well Karma did notice and in return provided me with numerous silver halves (close to record numbers for me per box) and threw in a 1955 Franklin as a nice little bonus. Excellent suggestion!

Well I am glad it worked!!! I always try to "FEED" or support the tellers in any way. I truelly think they can make a CRHers life easy or hard if they want. I just sold a bunch of GUAM quarters to one of my supply banks because the tellers and office people there were missing them for there books. Some reason that bank didn't get any Guam quarters so I sold them at face, then friday I get a call saying that an older person just brought in a bunch of old looking rolls of pennies, I will be picking them up Monday!

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread