Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might help
http://www.federalreserve.gov/OTHERFRB.HTM

As far as who delivers to which bank. Just ask your teller. Or If your box is double stacked, ie $250 on top of $250 there is a good chance it's a Brinks box. If its a flat box with a single layer 5x 10 rows it's a fed/loomis/gadra/etc.

I think there was a thread back in April/may with pics of different boxes

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Silversound said:
Perfect, that helps a lot, thanks!

Uh hold on now.... It just ain't that easy.

In my area it would be very hard to determine that.

But I suppose if you get your local map out and pinpoint the sources of coin. Brinks, Loomis, Dunbar and so on and draw a circle 60 miles out from their facility you could pretty much narrow it down.

For me the 4 processing centers in Michigan are Detroit, Lansing, Flint & Grand Rapids. With Toledo to the South of me But those 4 center cover Michigan as a whole. Lot of ground to cover for so few sources. So where does one district end and another begin? :dontknow: My closest source is downtown Detroit but Loomis and Brinks are in the same Neighborhood. there Flint is an hour north and Lansing about 1 1/2 hrs west. so I guess you could assume that if I drove to Lansing of Flint I would be in another District. Wish I knew for sure than I wouldn't have to drive so far.

Mojo

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
This was easy for me to determine. Knowing which branches are supplied by which carriers helps. Unless it is a small local bank that might fluctuate with carriers, the big corporate banks stay with the same carrier throughout a region. It is a negotiated contract to supply all the branches in the region by a specific carrier. For example, BoA is supplied by Brinks from Jacksonville to Melbourne to Orlando to Gainesville. I'm sure it is state wide, but this region I know for certain. Now, on roadtrips, I would speak with the bank manager and query them as to where they get their coin from. Most would reply Jacksonville. I kept moving south until the one branch was supplied by the Daytona/Ormond Beach Brinks facility. Bingo. I now order from the Daytona/Ormond district and dump in Jacksonville district. Daytona is fed from a central vault in Orlando. Orlando supplies the Melbourne district also. Coin is not brought down from Jacksonville until the central vault is bled down. When that happens, I'll go north into Georgia.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Interesting post ! I finally found out what a brinks box was.
I've ordered halves from three or four different banks, and have gotten unordered boxes from at least ten different banks all over the State , but have never aquired the double stacked box.
Personally I don't order enough boxes to worry about getting my same coins back. I think it is all a crapshoot, hit or miss.
Now if I were ordering 30 boxes a week that would be a different story.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
My Brinks Boxes come outa Nashville TN Fed and (get this) are in Boxes that say they contain Quarters, anybody else get'em like this?

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
To futher add to my statement.

It's easy to distinguish which distributor I get the boxes from. Brinks are dbl. stacked 5 x 5 x 2 high the Fed / Loomis boxes are flat 5 x 10 rows.

But the question is how far does the Detroit distributors deliver or pick up.

It doesent matter which I buy from and dump in I end up getting my own dumps back. from both distributors. I would have to dump outside of Detroit's reach to avoid getting my own dumps back.

Ironically just yesterday I talked to the truck driver / security guard that picks up those metal boxes from the coin counter at my dump bank, and he verified my suspicions. He does in fact deliver those bins to both Loomis and Brinks. Which is why I get my own dumps back no matter who I buy from.

So the key is to dump outside your local distributors district.

Mojo

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006
Mojo I have one source bank here in north central ohio that gets its coin from detroit, and in a town 15 miles eat of me i i have a bank that gets delevery from cleveland which is also 2 hours away.The detroit delivery is brinks and i know of at least 3 brinks facilitys much closer.Also if i go south to another little town they get there coin from cincy...3 hour drive for them,i talked to head teller at all 3 of these locations and found they are all serviced by the same distributor as the main branch.The sad part is 2 of them are garda and niether will order boxes of halves.1 is now my primary dump bank the ther is 2 far away but they have boxes of halves most times i go in so i continue to visit.Is very strange i can go in and buy a box,sometimes 2 boxes with no problem but they will not specifically order for me...ohhh well ill take what i can get lol...hh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread