Post Your Skunks

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I enjoy reading about great finds, and drooling over those fabulous photographs. I look forward to them. I anxiously await the weekly report from Silvercops 20 boxes.
But there are some people getting some stupendous skunks that we never hear about.
I think it is a good idea to post your skunk boxes, cherry picked bags,and lousy road trips.
I post mine, and here is why.
1. It's a reality check for newcomers
2. It discourages lurkers from becoming the new competition
3. It shows how challenging this hobby is.

Rich

Upvote 0

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finished my 4th straight skunk Brinks box. Any keepers I find on my road trips usually doesn't cover the cost of gas,not to mention the time i spent. But you never know what you'll find.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
mountainman 2 said:
Finished my 4th straight skunk Brinks box. Any keepers I find on my road trips ususally doesn't cover the cost of gas,not to mention the time i spent. But you never know what you'll find.

This is why I only do road trips as a side bar, you know when am on the road anyway for other purposes, like yesterday went to Saw Shop, hit 10 or so Banks along way (of course have to allot self a little extra time) and picked up $40 Clad with 4 %40'ers in them; have had as many as 12 Brinks skunks in row myself, one fella I spoke with on another forum said he has had 42 in a row.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
you make a good point. I have laid off posting a little bit because I have been busy and also I did not think anybody wanted to see my measly 10 40%er days. I am still pulling in the silver but it is slow going as of late.

Golden Silver

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006
i have had 1 box with silver and 14 skunks out of last 15 boxes...the silver was 6 40's but better than the skunks.Silver is few and far between around here.Road trip yesterday was decent but last 3 road trips before that wouldnt buy 2 gallons of gas combined lol....I been hitting pennies and dimes a bit to keep me interested.Isnt anyone in ohio going to get rich from halves thats for sure lol...hh jon

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
I went to Reno Nevada for a week and I hit every bank I could
come across. Every bank teller had halves in their tray.
I went through thousands of halves and only four 40% and one
87p. This has got to be dedication or just stupidity, but all in all
I had fun, but what a big skunk week.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skunks are what killed half's for me. I got 46 straight skunks then I got 1 box with 3 or 4 40%'rs then right back to another 30+ skunks. Not just that but it wasn't uncommon for me to get 25 - 20 skunks in a row just to break them by finding 1 or 2 keepers. So I bowed out of searching half's, I'm hoping that they will replenish themselves but only time will tell. My best box only had like 27 keepers in it ( I got 4 boxes with atleast 20) so they never really produced for me. Oh and at my height I was doing 12 boxes a week. I searched something like $50,000 in just half's from last year and this year and only got maybe 300 keepers to show for it so it has to be all about location because I was doing the volume but it never really panned out for me. :thumbsup:

Dimes on the other hand I would usually pull 3 silvers out of every box and out of maybe 10 boxes searched I would maybe get 1 skunk.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
I have proclaimed on here to be the skunk KING!!!

69+ boxes!!! i think it is about 76 I lost count.

Jason

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
I do six boxes a week because that is my money pool right now and I pull an average of 15-20 silvers total. Good thing is I usually pull at least one or two 90% each week. Occassionaly I will get 40 plus keepers now. I love road trips but my time has been limmitted lately. I am getting the itch though.

Golden Silver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
15 boxes a week and on average I pull maybe 20 keepers a week... Mostly 40%'s. Most of the boxes are skunks 12 skunks and maybe 3 with a couple in them. My best box in the last month produced 16 keepers. July was rough.

I also did 3 $1000 dollar bags of quarters this week because they were offerd to me. I pulled 1 1948 Quarter out of $3000.

Also did a $1000 Bag of Dimes this week & pulled 1 Rosie.

But I just know there is a score out there somewhere.

Mojo

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
You and I will hit it big again soon there Mojo. You know as well as I that it is just a matter of time and chance.
Golden Silver

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about this being a very good point. Good post RH. I am winding down my summer CRH'ing and I had some skunks last week myself. It is all part of the hobby. My ole buddy Thurm always says how this hobby is a rollercoaster. A very accurate analogy!!

I am guilty about not posting my skunks or days of two's and few's. If everyone posted their skunks this forum would run out of pages....lol. Your right though, for an outsider looking in, it looks like all glory...........so I guess we aren't painting an accurate picture of the hobby are we..........

Like you RH, I also look forward to certain posts each day/month myself like SC's 20 boxes that you mentioned......another one is Mojo's monthly total post with his pictures.......TxTim's one liners are funny too....he was on a roll about the camping thing a few weeks back. Papa comes up with some hilarious posts....he has been for as long a I have known him. Better stop....getting off subject.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
LJ said:
TxTim's one liners are funny too....he was on a roll about the camping thing a few weeks back.

I'm pretty sure .... at least I thought he was referring to my..... Uh.... Camping Experience.....

Mojo

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I expect to get skunked on any Brinks box I ever think of picking up. I have never ever gotten 1 single silver coin out of a Brinks box!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread