new to CRH & 76 half question

stu123

Aug 16, 2009
new to CRH & 76' half question

There is a health food market I go to and that was where I got my first lincoln cabin pennys. I did'nt think much of it and set them aside. Then I find out they are hard to find since the mint isn't putting many into circulation due to the flood of coinage into circulation that people are cashing in due to the economy. Then I started thinking how I could get more. I established a friendly rapore with a chasier at the market and she is happy to look thru the loose pennys for new ones for me. Then I got the idea of buying whatever rolls she had in the drawer, just in case. (I had never heard of CRH before). I didn't find any more 2009 pennys, but I started finding a wheaty now and then, and some from the 60's and a nice newish canadian penny. This was starting to get interesting. Then I did an internet search about hunting for coins in rolls, and find out there is an official name for it, and even a forum just for that! I read thru a bunch of posts and read that halfs are good for hunting. So friday when I cashed my check, I had a particulary friendly teller/manager who was happy to give me all the loose halves they had (about 3$).When I saw a 63' franklin in the mix, I had to contain my excitement and not give it away! Upon looking at my loot when I got home, I also got a 65 half and a 76' half. That got me real hooked!
Satarday I was at the antique mall and one case had a really good condition '76 half D for $2.00. I didn't buy it. I was wondering if it would be worth it?
Today, I scored an entire roll of lincoln formative years pennys. Which brings up another question:
Are the white and red paper rolls new coinage as opposed to the usual brown paper rolls? The penny roll I got is white/red.
Thanks

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Re: new to CRH & 76' half question

Welcome to the game we play. First the red and white rolls can be mint rolls but not always. If you have a uncirculated 2009 penny on either end then chances are you have a mint roll. As far as the 1976 half. I would not buy it. They are only worth that much if they are in one of the top conditions. You can find plenty of beautiful 1976's in rolls for .50 cents. Good luck.

Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread