Fun weekend story

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
I was just at my dump bank the next city over on Saturday which has a teller who collects on his own (and I know has amassed a large collection). He knows I collect and keeps me updated on his finds at the branch.

A couple weeks back he sold me a $600 strap of 1950 series $10s, about 20 of which are uncirculated. As a thanks while dropping off a couple boxes of halves, I brought him a couple of those grocery store boxes of cookies which he appreciated. In addition he let me trade in a $1 for 2 of his 40%s which I appreciated.

I pitched the idea of purchasing his collection, but he also told me the story of his sister who is a teller a couple of town over and received an entire box ($500!) full of franklin halves...she said the seller was just tired of holding it and wanted the cash! So hopefully I'll be able to make an offer on that as well!

Just another good example of amazing finds that come around. If this teller hadn't picked it, there's a good chance all of that might have gone through Brinks!

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds! I've never understood how someone could bypass the buyer and trade em in at face, and we welcome that! ffd

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Fistfulladirt said:
Great finds! I've never understood how someone could bypass the buyer and trade em in at face, and we welcome that! ffd

Call me pessimistic, but I think in 99% of these cases, tellers will after the fact say "I told the customer that these are silver and worth more than face, but they just wanted the money now", so as to not look like they took advantage of some dimwitted customer. I am sure that it has happened before that they told the customer and the customer went ahead and cashed in, but I would bet that if these people knew what the coins were worth, they would not mind driving to the local coin store to get 10X the amount the bank teller hands them.

PS I am not saying the teller needs to bang the customer on the head and order them to go to the coin store, but I am a bit skeptical that they really tell the customers how valuable the coins are and that same customer still insists on getting face value. We all know human nature when it comes to getting money, especially when it is our own stuff that is worth more than we know and then we find out its true value.

Jim

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i believe that most people would try and get the most they could get in today's economy. the only people i can think of that would trade in silver at face would be kids, and crooks.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
scotty1418 said:
he also told me the story of his sister who is a teller a couple of town over and received an entire box ($500!) full of franklin halves...she said the seller was just tired of holding it and wanted the cash!

IMHO This is suspect.

The person who just wanted the cash was trying to avoid detection.

Another unsolved crime because the loot never showed up.......... I mean an entire box........ Worth $5000 at todays silver prices.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions