Oct 31, 2008
Florida
Upvote 0

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I get 200. to 400 a week and take em right back to my dump bank rolled herd to many horror stories of miscounting dimes on coin counters.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
dasherhunting said:
I get 200. to 400 a week and take em right back to my dump bank rolled herd to many horror stories of miscounting dimes on coin counters.

My dump bank will only take my halves in $1K Bags & I have come up short many times a dollar here & there up to 9.50, but once it came up over by exactly 30 dollars

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my bank will only take em loose, never had a problem machine counter is always right on the money. I do two boxes dimes per week from brinks

OP
OP
ronbo22

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
Goes4ever said:
my bank will only take em loose, never had a problem machine counter is always right on the money. I do two boxes dimes per week from brinks

Are they the clear wrapped rolls?

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes they are clear wrapped

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
i don't do dimes often but may start, just been dumping them at work, but maybe just go to another branch and dump them by the box that you opened it up to play poker but then never used them, i will probably eventually do this, as it is stupid to take them out of the rolls

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried at a few banks and no one here will take them rolled, every bank in my area has a counter and they want them loose. I cut them open and take back in a canvas bag, it takes me less than 20 minutes to do a $250 box of dimes, I do not see the problem here?

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
It is trial and error. If you have a coin counter use it and see how accurate it is. If you get a good count then I would say break em open and do it that way. At least you know you wont get the same rolls back.

Golden Silver

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have taken full boxes back with clear wrapped, unopened dimes. I really don't care for the clear-wrapped Brinks as they are almost always silver-free. It's also rare that a roll is not peppered with Canadian dimes. I got pretty good at discerning the Canadian from US, without having to break open a roll. ffd

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fistfulladirt said:
I have taken full boxes back with clear wrapped, unopened dimes. I really don't care for the clear-wrapped Brinks as they are almost always silver-free. It's also rare that a roll is not peppered with Canadian dimes. I got pretty good at discerning the Canadian from US, without having to break open a roll. ffd
Just curious, is there a way to know if a canadian dime is pre-68 by edge searching? I search brinks dimes as well and always break open the rolls.Besides there may be an occasional dirty silver dime that you won't see until you remove them from the rolls.

Philmont_709n2

Jul 2, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
I would open em up! I have found many silver dimes that didnt look silver on the rims. One box I thought I only had 1 silver dime and ended up with 3!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
mountainman 2 said:
Fistfulladirt said:
Just curious, is there a way to know if a canadian dime is pre-68 by edge searching? I search brinks dimes as well and always break open the rolls.Besides there may be an occasional dirty silver dime that you won't see until you remove them from the rolls.
Mountain, in the handfull of 68's that i pulled, only a couple were the keepers. When you have seen a thousand Canadians, usually the silvers will jump out from the edge search. I went thru $16,500 in dimes from Jan '09 to end of March, pulled about 15 silver Canadians. The edges of them tend to be flat like a silver US, unlike the usual round edge. I do the final check with a magnet. If it sticks, throw it back.
Just my 10 cents. ffd

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found almost all my dimes this year in clear rolls from brinks

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Philmont_709n2 said:
I would open em up! I have found many silver dimes that didnt look silver on the rims. One box I thought I only had 1 silver dime and ended up with 3!
Search several hundred thousand, you won't have much time to check dates. I doubt I've missed more than one or two if any. If the rim is dirty it is already suspect silver and i give it the double-take. ffd

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mountainman 2 said:

Yes. There are two ways.

1) Train your eyes and you will probably be able to tell. (pre-1968's tend to look different.)
2) Use a magnet to test it. If it doesn't stick, it's pre-1968. Until I trained my eyes I used to bring a magnet to the bank and occasionally ask to look at the rolls of dimes and quarters that the tellers had on hand...a quick 2 minute glance can search a few hundred dollars worth and if I spotted a questionable coin put it to the magnet test....now I don't need the magnet and I am usually right as I buy anything I question.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the answer, i forgot about the magnet test.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread