mean tellers?

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt say asking is mean... I usually tell them that I am collecting them for my kids and give them to him when he does good things. You could make up any nice story that will make them feel like helping you get as many as you can.

Other ones will know what you are doing. To those just give them a smart ass answer. :laughing7:

OP
OP
fisher2

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i get the what do you do with them often.but he came out like ok guys whats with the half dollars?

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone suggested here in a thread before... Tell them you fill up your bathtub with them to take a bath in all your money.

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
I have had this situation happen to me alot recently. I always just make something up. Just be quick on your feet with your answer. I usually tell them "Its a long story" or " I am going to pay a bill in coins because someone made me mad", they actually believe that one. The bottom line though, is its none of there business what you are doing with YOUR money. I just would refrain from telling it to them like that.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Just don't mention silver or coins with any value. I have a story I always stick to. Tell them that you collect coins and that you are trying to put a set together of each year. After hitting the smae bank a few times and dealing with all the different tellers they wont even ask. The only question I ever get from my main source bank is what coins are you looking for today and how many boxes would you like!

You just also need to remember to people NOT in the hobby you look like you are crazy, but remember they are crazy for not getting silver at face value.

Can you imagine the wierd looks I get when I wheel out a hand cart with 24 boxes of pennies on it. Oh well!!! But boy does 12,000 wheat pennies look good in a big box!

Jason

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
Shake-N-Bake said:
Just don't mention silver or coins with any value. I have a story I always stick to. Tell them that you collect coins and that you are trying to put a set together of each year. After hitting the smae bank a few times and dealing with all the different tellers they wont even ask. The only question I ever get from my main source bank is what coins are you looking for today and how many boxes would you like!

Jason

Well after reading Shakes I would say this is a safe bet, you never know they may actually save coins for you :thumbsup:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Get used to it, they either know what you are doing, or they truely are naive. At almost all my banks, employees always tell me if they have found silver. I offer to buy, never works. I have never once mentioned the word silver. I am "filling coin catalogs". ffd

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In banks that I may never hit again (i.e. road trip bank), I may say that I've tried to get some from my banks but they didn't have any, and I was hoping to use them for a family poker game. In the banks that I plan to visit on a regular basis, I say that I'm a collector trying to get one of each year and mint mark. I never mention "silver". I don't want to have to tell a horror story like some of the ones that I've heard here.

I like the bit about paying a bill with them though. I may use that at a bank that I don't plan to hit again.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

voodoo13

Aug 20, 2009
I have had some tellers be down right rude. Acting all annoyed that they need to go to the vault to check. Lately, somebody in my area is going around telling the tellers they are gathering halves for girl scouts. I have been using this line now, and never get any resistace anymore.

+++++++3.0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
On road trips and the like, I tell them I'm accumulating halves to pay some bills. I can't make up stories anymore with my main supply. When you get $8k a week, they know what you are doing. They don't care so long as they don't see the halves again.

So far, I've paid $60,000 on my principal of my mortgage with halves. My goal is to pay the remainder in the next 5 years with my dumps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions