What are your favorite coins to search through (and favorite coin in general)?

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I prefer to say 1 cent coins ya know the one with lincoln on it. It makes for longer sentences but it is so much more interesting.

Golden silver

midnight run

Mar 21, 2009
Diver_Down said:
First, let's all agree that we search boxes of cents. We aren't in England. We don't have a penny. Sorry, just a small pet peeve. I know the boxes are labeled pennies, but it doesn't make it right. Anyhow, the cents I enjoy searching as that is how I started my coin collection at 9. The halves can be rewarding, but very frustrating when you hit a skunk run. Sometimes, it just isn't worth the hassle and I take a break from halves, but the itch returns. Dimes are another favorite as they are easy and lightweight. Been filling glass cigar tubes for some time.

Image034.jpg
Even the U.S. Mint calls them pennies.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mentone Grizz said:
"Sorry, any self-respecting numismatist can't bring themselves to say pennies. Just can't do it."

I can't bring myself to say "numismatist".
- Grizz

The only reason it would matter is if it's definition were confused.
If you asked one person to give you a penny and another person you asked to give you a cent and then you repeated this hundreds of times.... I'll bet every time you asked for a penny, you got one and occasionally when you asked for a cent, some yokel said..."What's a cent?" but 99% of the time you got one then as well.

Basically, the meaning is interchangeable.

Here is a copy of the first definition from dictionary.com for penny....
"1. a bronze coin, the 100th part of the dollars of various nations, as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States; one cent."

btw... in england they are now called "new penny".

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
The last time I was in England they would refer to it as a "pea". In writing they would spell it out "10 p" for 10 pence.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Favorite coins for me would be old coins. I would never buy one though.
Next would be Mercury Dimes. I like searching for them, but they are getting tough to find. Before I started CRH and when they were cheap I would buy them. The coin shop where I would get them in bulk would offer Mercury or Roosevelts (junk silver) at the same price. They were unsearched and he would just toss them from the bag into the coin hopper.

Lastly I like Canadian silver coins. Found a few in boxes and bags. I like the dimes, quarters, Halves, Dollars, and older Maple leafs. If I can get a good deal these I would actually purchase.

Of course I would love to find a stash of Morgan or Peace dollars. Never got one but my son has, on his CRH road trips.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halfs and nickles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread