On a Roll!

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
Bank coin roll that is...Found these today from the rolls from the bank. Anyone know if the Canadian dime is silver? I know Canada changed it's coins in 1968. (which is the date on this coin) I did read that they split the year with the coins minted early in the year being silver...It looks like silver and I found it the same way I found the other silver coins. I spared you all pictures of my MD finds. Clad and a junk ring.

Attachments

• Silver Dimes Front.jpg
    Silver Dimes Front.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,484
Upvote 0

Hothgar

Aug 1, 2005
Nice finds! How many rolls did that take you?

I hit the motherload on some wheats. From a bank here in texas. $20 worth (all he had), and im finding 10ish wheats per roll. I'm going back first thing in the morning tomorrow to see what other rolls he has of any sort. Also got 6.50 in loose halves (2 were 40% silvers) and a roll of uncirculated bicent halves. Someone cashed in some stuff recently it seems.

Hothgar

OP
OP
killerwine

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
I'll try the magnet...Definitely try dimes. Open the roll and look at the whole roll on edge. The silver coins will REALLY stand out! I think the key to dimes is no one notices the silver ones...haven't had any luck on quarters yet. I go through about $300 a day and have been getting 2 to 5 silver dimes a day...now if I could find just one with my MXT I'll be happy.

Hothgar

Aug 1, 2005
Some banks around here wont sell rolls to non-members. I know where i won't ever be having accounts!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do the same thing with dimes and quarters. I have yet to find a silver quarter but I did find a silver dime today after searching through $80.00. I just wish I could go to the bank and look through all of their rolls an just pay for the ones that have silver, haha.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats doing pretty good for going through rolls.
I think the Canadian dime is 40% silver, but don't quote me on that.

Hothgar

Aug 1, 2005
Grand total for the 40 rolls of pennies was 1 canadian penny and 394 wheats. Talk about some choice rolls - nothing newer than 1977. Gotta get back there ASAP tomorrow morning and get every roll they have of anything.

Hothgar

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
I found one of those dimes some time ago.Thought it was silver till I put a magnet to it.If its magnetic it is pure nickel.So then why isnt a nickel magnetic?? ...because its 75% copper!??
If your dime isnt magnetic it is 50/50 copper-silver.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget about checking half dollars too. It can be a little tough to find a bank that has a lot of them in rolls, but if you can, check for the occasional 1964 silver half, and especially the 1965, 66, 67, 68, 69 and 70 silver clad halves (40% silver).

I just posted this same message in another coin roll thread. Sorry to repeat it, But I thought it appropriate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread