formative years coins from littleton coin

stu123

Aug 16, 2009
new-1.jpg I keep my eyes out for those special offers from littleton coin. This was one of them for 4.95 a set- free shipping limit of 5 sets.
Normally they are like $10.00 a set. The catch is your joined up in thier coins on approval program. But you can end that by returning 3 batches of coins on approvals in a row and they won't send any more. I'm already a member, but they sold them to me anyway. I have not seen any other place selling gold plated formatives. For $5 I think this was an OK deal.
In the last deal I cashed in on was a set of uncirculated sascachawa dollars with an uncirculated native american dollar thrown in as a bonus. I know thier coins are overpriced, but thier intro deals can be pretty decent.

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice packaging but that's all you're really paying for. The colorizing and plating ruined the collector value of two coins, and the other two are probably worth 25 cents each. From a numismatic POV you paid $4.95 for 52 cents worth of product. But hey, if you like what you got, that's all that matters. It just has no collector value.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
stu123 said:
why do you hate littleton?

I hate littleton coin company also... Any coin company that employes over 300 people is not a coin company, they are rip off artest. They take advantage of the elderly or the unknowing person who inhereted a coin collection. They pay now where near value for there coins they buy. They have been investigated and served with law suites for years. There coins are EXTREEMELY over priced. There is companies that jack the prices and then there is Littleton Coin.

Do a google search for Littleton coin and you will be amazed at the law suites they have had over the years. For example last year when gold was about $1,000 and ounce they bought a bunch of gold coins all valued at over $1,500 a piece from an elderly women whos husband had passed away and left to coins to her for $175 per coin. THEY ARE RIP OFF ARTEST!!!

Jason

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Put me on the list that also thinks Littleton is full of Rip off artists.

PLus, back in my younger days, before I knew better, I bought some Morgans from Littleton. I thoguth they were MS60 and MS63. I went to sell a few, and they graded at EF 40 and AU50. NONE were MS60! But they don't grade them. They just say "Brilliant Uncirculated" and pretend that is the same as MS60. As I said, that was in my younger days. I didn't catch the differeence back then. But it is not a grading they do, but a way of them stating how they look to them. No liability then since they said brilliant uncirculated, and that is not an "official" grade on the scale! Anyway, I think they are a rip off, as my personal opinion.

OR - ask ANY coin dealer at a store what THEY think. I haven't personally found one yet that likes their pricing.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I have purchased Littleton coins from dealers secondhand before when I could get good deals. I got good deals on gold world coins in little plastic holders that talked about the coin and where it came from, etc. As soon as I got home though I took the coin out of the Littleton holder and put it in an Airtite. I always wondered what the original owner paid for them. A couple were real nice and I got an 1888 20 Franc gold angel from one, that has a very low mintage.

Jim

exnatomp

Jan 1, 2009
Years ago when silver was floating around the $5-$7 level, Littleton was selling Silver American Eagles for $7-$8 each through ads in the paper and magazines (limit 5 per order). I bought some when I could to use as gifts and investments. Well, when silver started going through the roof, the ads disappeared. About 18 months ago, I sold off all I had(60+ coins) and made a very nice profit. I know their stuff is overpriced, but this was one time a customer of their came out ahead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions