I found the whole herd

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
Received a call from my regular pick-up bank that my delivery of two boxes of halves would not be arriving. Refusing to be shut out, I showed up at the bank anyway, and took all their loose rolls of dimes ($110), and as a last minute tack-on I told them to give me all their nickels ($96). Took them to dad's house. They were a mixture of machine wrapped and hand rolled. About 30 minutes in, I noticed that two of the handwrapped nickel rolls looked really old. You know how you get familiar with all the wrappers. Well, never saw these before. This looks promising I tell dad - and just then I notice that one of the ends is exposed and I am staring at an Indian Head Nickel. Better go get Mom for this one. As I am explaining the rolls potential, I notice that someone has inscribed the word Buffalo's in pen on the roll. Could be a prankster, but then again no one would have left that Buff behind as part of their prank. Could it be ? I open the opposite end.... another Buffalo ! Now the temptation of ripping the roll apart is killing me. But I decided that it might be my dream roll, and if so, I wanted to savor it. So I pulled them out one at a time. We checked the date and mint mark of each and discussed the coins condition. One Buffalo at a time..... 40 out of 40 ! Solid roll of Buffs. A beauty of a 1937 in there. What a thrill. Glad dad was with me, he has been collecting coins since 1960. The coins were from 1925-1937, no key or semi-key dates. The second roll was marked Jefferson's, and it contained 4 war nickels. The newest was a 1970 and I am surmising that they were wrapped almost 40 years ago and just got released into the wild. I am on a hot streak. The week before, I had my best dime box ever, 6 Mercs and 1 Rosie. Then 2 days ago, I got 2 rolls of halves from a bank at lunch time and I pulled three Bens and 1 Walker. All in a 12 day period. I do not have a cord to upload pictures of the Buffaloes, but I have taken the pictures and will upload soon. I haven't posted on T-net since last year, but I read it daily. This find however, is post and picture worthy.

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome, I am waiting on that same herd... Great job!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's an excellent find. I have found rolls of war nickels, but never buffs

HH
-GC

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
That's a Fantastic score. I have been hitting the nickles sporadically and haven't put a whole roll together yet. Way to go. Never give up the search.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread