Road trip part 2 9/1/09

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
The hot weather is over up here so I put on a shirt and tie, and put a dab of VO-5 in the gray hair to make it shine like the stuff I'm after.
I'm having fun with my new GPS toy because I'm finding banks that I never knew were there. I'm not getting much silver but I'm having fun,and that's what counts.
Anyway, I go into this bank, and spot this homely old teller with a big hook nose. I give her a big smile, make some small talk, and act real charming. Maybe I compliment her about her nice wig, or her magnificent beak. I then pop the question. "I need a large amount of half dollars for the nasal reconstruction foundation, or whatever. Much to my amazement she tells me she has a bag of $520.00 in the vault, and proceeds to get it. She brings it out, and I can see the silver in the bag !
Then the manager comes out and asks me if I'm a customer ? I tell her that I've been a customer for many years but usually do my banking at the other branch( A customer without an account.Just a little white lie). I take out my money and the manager says maybe I should verify the amount. I tell not to bother. She goes on to say that she will have to count them by hand. I tell her that what's ever on the bag is fine with me and not to worry about the total. She then says that she just wouldn't feel right if she did not verify the amount and to make myself comfortable while she counts it out.
So I sit down and pretend to read a magazine, while all the while I have visions of Walkers and Bens going through my head.
Suddenly my attention was drawn to the sound of the manager counting the coins. I could hear them slide along the counter.
Then I noticed that every so often the counting would stop and the manager would disappear from view. Was there something fishy going on?
I put that negative thought out of my head, and continued to pretend that I was engrossed in a travel magazine.
After a long wait. The manager called me over and the transaction completed. I walked nonchalantly out of the bank.
When I got into my car I tore into that bag, and pulled out handfulls of clad. The bag was a complete skunk. Even though I saw the silver in it when it was placed on the counter in front of me.
Oh well, it's all part of the game.
I'll hit a good score this week anyway.

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Bring your dumps there!!!! I would've asked to get the full amount that they said was there or else complain to upper management.. or perhaps bring in dumps with word "silver" written on the rolls. Being that it's not your bank that you don't have an account with, I guess you had no choice.

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
Sounds like the tellar swap clad coins for the silver coins while you wasn't looking. I would get a friend or someone you trust to go up to the bank and ask for loose or rolled halves and clean out the rest they got cause you got screwed.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that Rich. She said the bag contained 520.00, how much did you end up with when they were done (counting) it?

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
''Sorry to hear that Rich. She said the bag contained 520.00, how much did you end up with when they were done (counting) it?''

$482.00

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
In My experience Rich, if someone asks if you have an account usually they want the silver for themselves. It hurts my heart bud to hear about that. It has happened to most of us I am afraid. Next time.

Golden Silver

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i hate it when they say they want to verify the count. two things usually happen.....one..they pull all the silver and two...while they are counting i can hear the coins and immediately know whether there is silver in there or not which completely kills the thrill of searching them. :'(

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that Rich. Your narrative on the trip was awesome though. That next bag full of silver is out there waiting on you to come pick it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread