Banned from another bank today....

Ju8vP3t

Well, not actually banned :laughing9:, but I was "informed" that since I didn't have a business account, I wouldn't be able to deposit any more coins.... :dontknow:, and the thing about it is, I'd only deposit 1 box every week or so, it wasn't like I was dumping everything at one branch, I have comsideration, and dump in several locations, .....just goes back to whom your dealing with, the other branches are fine, nothing is ever said

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So open a business account. Tell them you are in vending and accumulate a lot of coins. Most big banks will give you a free biz account if you keep some cash in it. :hello:

OP
OP
Ju8vP3t

Ju8vP3t

AGCoinHunter said:
So open a business account. Tell them you are in vending and accumulate a lot of coins. Most big banks will give you a free biz account if you keep some cash in it. :hello:

Of course when I was being told this, I almost said that, "How do you open a business account?", but I know that's not the problem, I was told by this person, Chase can't accept coins unless it's a business account, if that were true, then the other 3 branches I dump in would've said the same thing, they haven't, so bottom line, the individuals at this branch just don't want to deal with them, it's sad when you have to come in contact with incompetants

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
"it's sad when you have to come in contact with incompetants"

I'm going to go easy on you here, Ju8vP3t.....I'm in a good mood today.

I do know what you mean......I have to come in contact with them all day long, each and every day.
- Grizz

XX

Jan 11, 2008
You need to call corporate and complain. For such a small amount, that branch is just being lazy.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I've never done any CRH but I've been reading up on it quite a bit recently. What I have found is that most CRH's seem to think nothing of the fact that their hobby causes others to have to foot the bill for cleaning up the mess. They grumble about banks who don't want to take back tons of coins they have to pay money to get rid of. It just doesn't make sense to me. And please don't try to downplay the costs. They are surely more considerable than you imagine. Just paying for the time alone would make it more costly than most people think.

I'd love to try the hobby but I just wouldn't have the heart to dump all of my extras on some bank knowing that it costs them a ton of time and money to get rid of them. I can't imagine that I'm completely alone. But there are an awful lot of complainers out here who think that it is the bank's duty to cater to them and if the bank doesn't then the tellers are incompetant. That attitude is what is going to get CRH eventually shut down. The banks are already wise and just tolerate you. Don't make it worse by copping an attitude about it or deciding that it is your duty to "punish them" for not wanting to help you out. Eventually, if it gets bad enough, they will just refuse to take the coins completely (even with an account) or start charging a sizable processing fee. They have every right to do that now.

I know that the flames are going to be high on this one. But anyone who can't recognize that banks who take your dumps are doing you a favor is either completely clueless or completely inconsiderate. Either way it isn't a good position to be in. I don't expect to make any friends with this type of a view on a CRH forum. But it has to be said by someone. And I'm batting 1000 these days in being crapped on so I can surely take a little more! ;D

Anyone else share my same view on this or am I completely alone?

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
While that statement is true for some banks a lot of the large banks pay a flat rate to buy/send back coins. As far as labor is conserned it does not take much time to run coins through a counter that auto bags. Not counting the fact most hunters use the machines in the lobby and do the work their self. Also banks have a lot of down time in between their rushes to handle things like this. If CRHers take banks into onsideration when dumping its usually not a problem. My BoA gives me the bags I load them with coins my account number and the ammount and drop them off they count them and post to my account when they are slow. Always the same day. They are more than happy to help.

It really comes down to a bunch of diffrent things and unless you live in a really small town you should be able to find a dump bank that as long as you have an account with will be more than happy to service you.

Just my 2

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Insert the Ecstasy of Gold at this point in the thred. ( song from the good the bad and the ugly )

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
jb7487;
You speak bravely and true!
We CRHers are merely tolerated by the banks. We are dependent upon maintaining that tolerance to continue to do our thing. It doesn't take much to tip the scale completely and shut down the whole game for everyone. We do need to recognize that there is significant real cost to the banks involved in our "hobby", and that they do not owe us this service. At the rate things are going, I predict a short future for what we are doing. I myself have already had some doors close to me in regards to my dumping. I was dumping too hard, but I didn't realize it, and by the time I did it was too late. To continue dumping at this institution at the same level will now incur a 15% surcharge. Of course, I can't afford that and am trying to develop other options, but the options will continue to become fewer and fewer as the banks take a good look at the costs that they are absorbing in providing these services at no fee.

- Grizz

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I've never done any CRH but I've been reading up on it quite a bit recently. What I have found is that most CRH's seem to think nothing of the fact that their hobby causes others to have to foot the bill for cleaning up the mess. They grumble about banks who don't want to take back tons of coins they have to pay money to get rid of. It just doesn't make sense to me. And please don't try to downplay the costs. They are surely more considerable than you imagine. Just paying for the time alone would make it more costly than most people think.

I'd love to try the hobby but I just wouldn't have the heart to dump all of my extras on some bank knowing that it costs them a ton of time and money to get rid of them. I can't imagine that I'm completely alone. But there are an awful lot of complainers out here who think that it is the bank's duty to cater to them and if the bank doesn't then the tellers are incompetant. That attitude is what is going to get CRH eventually shut down. The banks are already wise and just tolerate you. Don't make it worse by copping an attitude about it or deciding that it is your duty to "punish them" for not wanting to help you out. Eventually, if it gets bad enough, they will just refuse to take the coins completely (even with an account) or start charging a sizable processing fee. They have every right to do that now.

I know that the flames are going to be high on this one. But anyone who can't recognize that banks who take your dumps are doing you a favor is either completely clueless or completely inconsiderate. Either way it isn't a good position to be in. I don't expect to make any friends with this type of a view on a CRH forum. But it has to be said by someone. And I'm batting 1000 these days in being crapped on so I can surely take a little more!

Anyone else share my same view on this or am I completely alone

When I first started CRH I got kicked out of a bank for dumping too much coin. The manager was polite about it and explained that it costs the bank money to ship out the coin. I told him that I understand his dilema and that I would be more than happy to stop dumping there,and that I would be happy to buy the bags of halves off of him on a weekly basis,thus saving the bank money. He told me that he could not sell the bags.
I pressed the issue as to why not, and ,he finally confessed that he could not sell the bags because he and other employees like to search the bags for silver.
I asked,"On company time"? He replied in the affirmative,adding that they do have some down time to do some searching.
Now this was before the bank bailouts. You know the one where our tax dollars are misused.
I know now not to abuse my dumps. However, the bank is a business, and I am the customer. The bank profits from the money I have deposited.
Now alot of them profit from my tax dollars. So I don't feel sorry for the banks. In fact I don't particularly like them. They use me, and I try my best to use them.

OP
OP
Ju8vP3t

Ju8vP3t

Mentone Grizz said:
"it's sad when you have to come in contact with incompetants"

I'm going to go easy on you here, Ju8vP3t.....I'm in a good mood today.

I do know what you mean......I have to come in contact with them all day long, each and every day.
- Grizz

Thanks Grizz.... :hello:, appreciate that ;D

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
jb7487 said:
I know that the flames are going to be high on this one. But anyone who can't recognize that banks who take your dumps are doing you a favor is either completely clueless or completely inconsiderate. Either way it isn't a good position to be in. I don't expect to make any friends with this type of a view on a CRH forum. But it has to be said by someone. And I'm batting 1000 these days in being crapped on so I can surely take a little more! ;D

I think you are dead on. I go to great lengths to keep my supply and dump banks separate and operate under 3 different bank accounts (2 business, 1 personal), all active. Dumps are small $200-$250 in 6 separate banks (3 branches) to "spread the wealth". If any of them speak up - I'll scratch them off the list (early) and move on.

Something to remember - I have regular tellers that fill in at other branches, up to 40 miles away, and they all talk to each other. Don't think for a second that they don't know what's up...

OP
OP
Ju8vP3t

Ju8vP3t

jb7487 said:

I'd have to respectfully disagree with several of your comments; I don't know what the "considerable" costs are, I intend to find out though, also I can only speak to my experience, I don't dump "tons" of coins, average 1 $500 box a week or so per branch, and I've inquired as to how many others do; answer: NONE, so for my situation, it's not costing the bank "a ton of time and money to get rid of them", the branches I utilize are numerous but small, most of the time there are no more than 6 or 7 people inside, banking is a service industry, it is their job to cater to customers (in perspective), and yea, the banks are "wise" alright, but in the wrong way and not toward the advantage of the consumer, and from what I've gathered, it doesn't cost my order bank anything to order coins for me, several times I've missed orders, because my teller friends have told me the banks put limits on how much they can order, as to not bulk up with cash/currency sitting around not making them a profit, otherwise this happens infrequently, it seems clear to me (my situation) that it's just laziness and complaining on the individuals in the certain branches part, 2 or 3 other branches I go to, it's never an issue

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
jb, I completely agree with you. As I have said, we're in on the tail end of the last great silver rush, and we have to just accept that some banks will not be able to "play by our rules". I am sure that CRHing was not considered when they set up their fee structure. If anyone wishes to challenge me on this, I suggest that you go to a bank, buy a box of dimes (preferably with the see through rolls), sit in the lobby and sort through them, take the skunks back to the teller, and ask for more rolls. That otta be a lot of fun.

Anyway, to each his own. Enjoy yourselves, and happy hunting. I just picked up three crisp Customer Rolls (the rolls are brand new) from the local B of A, and they have "S" written on the side. I am going to let the little guy dive into these when momma brings him home.

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Rich and Grizz, I agree with you also. Free money is a great thing, but not without its challenges. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Speaking of just my bank that I have been with for years. It doesn't bother me to take rolls of coin in since they only want to pay me 1/2 of 1% interest on MY money for the year. And unless the rules have changed, coin is still legal tender. Granted I do not or will not have the funds to CRH like most of you, so I can not dump large amounts ( 500 is stretching my limits ) but I have fun. I have as much fun reading of everyone else's finds, well, almost, lol .My 2 cents.

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
jb7487 said:

I think you are over thinking this whole topic (and missing out on some fun and possible easy money in the process). The idea that our "hobby causes others to have to foot the bill for cleaning up the mess" is simply not true in many cases. I agree with those here that feel that banks and credit unions are businesses. And it is the job of said "businesses" to keep their customers happy. As for the "costs" of crhing, what you don't know is that many of us do have a special arrangement with our dump banks. One good example: I have a credit union that I have been a member of for many years. I used to only go in there once a week at most and dump small amounts in their coin machine. Whenever I would fill a bag and a teller had to come change it out, I would usually apologize for the inconvenience of them having to help me (even though it is their job) and would make small talk with them. One day the tellers were all busy and the head vault teller came out to help change out the bag. I figured that it was my last day of dumping there for sure. I apologized to her for having to help me and her response shocked me. She stated that she didn't care how much coin I brought in, and also said she didn't care if I came in every day. I of course don't do that, but I do go there 2 or 3 days a week. She also stated that she would rather have my business then to see me go somewhere else. Over the past few years of dumping there, I have learned a lot about the inner workings from her and some of the tellers. She has told me that they have a contract with Brinks, and that they only have one shipment in/out from them a week. She said it doesn't matter whether one or fifty bags go out, it is covered in their contract. Now I realize that this isn't true with every bank and credit union out there, but it is with many. Many banks set up these so called "fees" for dumping (or ordering) just as another form of easy profit. As for the "costs" of the tellers time, I don't feel sorry that they have to walk the 20 steps over to change a bag. It is a part of the job. At this credit union when it happens, I am always greeted with a smile from the polite tellers so there is never an issue. This CU is rarely too busy to not have someone available to assist with the coin machine.

CRHing connections can't be made over night. It takes time and some conversational skills. The "costs" of crhing is many times just made up cost anyway. If banks start throwing the word "fee" around, just take your business elsewhere. If a teller mentions one of these "costs", confirm it with the head teller. If the "costs" are real, take your business else where. Some people have trouble taking the hint. Maybe they feel you are bothering them, maybe they are lazy, maybe they want to suck just a few more dollars out of you with "costs", just take your business elsewhere. There are banks out there that want your business, and they wouldn't consider hitting you with a fee for dumping. It just might take a little time and research on your part to find them and make that connection.

HH all!
cmhoose

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I have two local chase banks that tell me to buy my coin from THEM, not Wells Fargo. Becasue they want my business. And my dump bank is wonderful (Not Chase OR Wells). The manager at Chase knows that if I come in to buy coin, I am in his bank, and he ends up with more of my other business.

So it is not Chase in general that says no to things. Just the branch you were at.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a roll searcher at all, but my son-in-law owns several vending machines and he deposits lots of coins. He had to shop several banks just to find one that would handle his account! I do all my banking at the local credit union. They know me by my first name and always service with a smile. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions