i wonder........

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i was at a bank one day asking for halfs and they didn't have any but the guard at the door said "go down the street to the check cashing place, they have them." :icon_scratch: i didn't go because i was out of time but i have been thinking of this for awhile. i noticed in my areas the banks are usually clustered on a main drag somewhere and then there are several neighborhoods with no banks for miles but they are loaded with check cashing places. i wonder.....has anyone ever tried looking for halfs at one? i would imagine if there are no banks nearby and people wanted to cash in thier stash would they go there? i'm gonna give it a shot and see. who knows we may have more places to search than we realize.

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have though about that before. Problem is most of these place are not where I would want to stop with money in my pocket. Most around here are in pretty seedy parts of town. Maybe I will brave it one day here.

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
AGCoinHunter;
Wise for you not to go to those areas......particularly if your avatar represents you as you really are........
- Grizz

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
I don't believe so since the person pictured in the avatar would probably not be able to figure out how to change their "member map" location in the profile... :D

{edit speeling}

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would a check cashing place have half dollars? A pawn shop maybe but not a check cashing place.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
All of the check cashing joints around here are in the ghetto. I'm going to check it out and see what I come up with. I've made some good scores in the creepy neighborhoods. The only competition is from the bank robbers.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got one down the road from me, since I've moved back into my natural surroundings (i.e. the ghetto). I'll pop in one day when it's not being robbed and let you know what I find.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I've got one down the road from me, since I've moved back into my natural surroundings (i.e. the ghetto). I'll pop in one day when it's not being robbed and let you know what I find.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Kantuck,

It appears that my post offended you. If so I sincerely apologize. I've spent most of my life in the slums,ghetto,other side of the tracks,whatever.
Most of the people there are good people, and much friendlier than in the suburbs. On the other hand, if you've lived there,you know,like I know, that it's like the Casbah, you can get anything you want for a price, and crime is rampant.

The Politically Incorrect,

Rich Hartford

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mr. Hartford,

I wasn't offended. I was agreeing with y'all that it might be (or might not be :dontknow: ) a good place to check and that I'd let you know what I find. I'm as confused as Pierce's Dad as to why a check cashing place would carry halves, but thought that it might be worth looking into. Let us know what your check cashing joint says.

I won't be able to do that for a while though. I've got to head back to Appalachia to do some work for a week or so, so I won't be able to CRH or post until I get back home...unless it rains that is. Then I'll be able to do some CRHing since I need dry weather to do my work. Trust me, you all will know if I get offended. :angry4:

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Why would a check cashing place have half dollars? A pawn shop maybe but not a check cashing place.
the only reasons i can think as to why a check cashing place might have halfs is that
a) there are no banks close by (walking distance)
b) they have lots of cash on hand
c) if they cash checks why wouldn't they also exchange currency?

if i had alot of coin i wanted to get rid of and there was nowhere close by to cash them in i would go to whoever has money on hand. however because these places charge a fee to cash a check would they also charge to exchange currency? :icon_scratch:

while pondering this i did notice that most of these places are also advertising that they buy gold and silver....so i'm guessing that they know what silver coins are worth. i'm starting to doubt that they would give out any halfs they did acquire at face value.

as far as pawn shops....i tried one once but they did not have any old coins for sale. i did notice as i looked around that there were no prices marked on items. the ones i did acquire about seemed a little high.. i thought pawn shops were supposed to be cheap?
anyway i'm not crazy about going to pawn shops. they have to buzz you in, then they stand there with this huge cannon on thier hip asking what you want? not exactly shopper friendly. and with no prices on anything, you have to ask about each individual thing. then your not sure if thats the real price or if thats just the price for you.(someone who may have alot of money)

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Rich Hartford said:
All of the check cashing joints around here are in the ghetto. I'm going to check it out and see what I come up with. I've made some good scores in the creepy neighborhoods. The only competition is from the bank robbers.

Speaking of "bank robbers", specifically the James gang of old- when I go on my bi-monthly trips to see wife hitting Banks along the way I take my own "James Gang" 3 mini Dachshunds they work good as ice breakers with tellers. When wife and friends ask me about my trips results they say "how'd your Jessee James go".

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the lines of this same topic, how many of you go into a bank and think of the odds that there my be a hold up while you are standing in line to ask for halfs. A few places I have gone into kind of creep me out with the bullet-proof glass all around the tellers. You know they have been robbed at some point in time to have that glass up.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
AG,
I've been in banks that I know for a fact have been held up. One where there was a shootut in the bank, because one of the customers happened to be a off duty Cop, while the bank was robbed. Robber missed, Cop didn't.
I don't worry about going in these places,and I don't worry about getting robbed.

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
most banks here in have been robbed numerous times. many have the double locking door,(where only one person enters at a time and the next door won't open unless the first door is closed),these sometimes even have metal detectors in them. some have been robbed so many times they only buzz you in after asking what you want.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread