AWESOME FIND!!!!!!!!!!!

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
I am new to this forum as of this morning after lurking around here for awhile and just reading. I'm a 21 yo atmospherical sciences major in upstate New York (Binghamton) and have been fascinated with this site for months. Almost everyday I come to read what everyone has to say and check out some pictures of AWESOME STUFF!!!! So i finally broke down and ordered a GTI 2500, reconditioned so it was half the price (yessss). It should be here the week after x-mas, although with the deep freeze i don't think i will be doing alot of anything for awhile. If there is anyone from the area that would be interested in doing some searching and also help me get use to operating this machinery that would be amazing. My better half lives up in an old school house dating back to the 1800's that has never been hunted and has been owned by the same family since the early 1900's, and she said to hunt away so anyone willing to help out and have a good time has some cool hunting rites. Ok, next on my list, I see alot of people lately talking about roll searching, which i think is wonderful, i've been doing that for years ever since my grandfather helped me start a coin collection. And a short story for you.......I was working on the south side of town at a gas station awhile back where we recieved 3 rolls of dimes, 95% of them were silver. The subway across the street got 2 rolls of quartes which were 60% silver. SO $13 in silver dimes for me and $12 in quarters for eric, my buddy who is the manager at subway. I found this incredible, but due to the fact that i was hard up for cash i sold them at silver value to a local coin store ( i'm not sure where my head was but i know now i'm kicking myself for it). But the good news is after i quit working there the girl who i worked with called and told me that she had gotten six more rolls of "my" dimes and she saved them for me. I almost blew a gasket when she said that and ran down to the store, she handed me a cup pretty much filled to the brim with silver and a few clad. As i looked through i realzed they weren't roosevelt's by they were mercury heads. Well needless to say i saved them and keep them locked up in the safe with the rest of my rapidly growing collection. I will post a pic if anyone is interested when I get home from campus. But i think that this will be all for my first post, hopefully many more will follow. OOPS almost forgot, anyone with any quick pointer or tips would be great seeing i've never picked up a MD before and now have a nice one coming in. Thanks much everyone who actually read through this, and hope to hear from some of ya.
-Jerred-

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Jerred,

Silver is always nice to Find.

Jeff

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the best forum on the web and the great hobby of MDing. My advice is this once you find a target sweep backward until signal is lost. Then sweep forward until you hit the signal again, dig around that spot. This has a good success rate with digging targets the first time. I live in Ithaca, NY about 3 hours from you. I may drive over and hunt with you sometime.

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
Bushido Dude

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for responding! I was a little nervous about joining just becuase I wasn't sure how much of a response i would get. I live right outside of Binghamton in a town called Port Crane, only about an hour from Ithaca MudSWAT. Have spent many many weekends up there at the falls, very beautiful city.Awesome festivals up there too!!! The old schoolhouse i was talking about is in Sanitaria Spings about ten min from my place. Thank you for the pointers and i shall try to implement that when i'm goofing around and getting a feel for it.
-Jerred-

M

master hunter 3

welcome to the forum,hope to see pic from your finds soon
cx III

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
Bushido Dude said:
Thank you everyone for responding! I was a little nervous about joining just becuase I wasn't sure how much of a response i would get. I live right outside of Binghamton in a town called Port Crane, only about an hour from Ithaca MudSWAT. Have spent many many weekends up there at the falls, very beautiful city.Awesome festivals up there too!!! The old schoolhouse i was talking about is in Sanitaria Spings about ten min from my place. Thank you for the pointers and i shall try to implement that when i'm goofing around and getting a feel for it.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?-Jerred-
Welcome to the forum and the hobby. I'm also from your area (originally). I grew up in Afton and worked in Binghamton during my college years during the summer. In 1996 I moved to Phoenix, Az where I currently reside. Your area has a lot of history and I would love to get back to MD that area, but work and family commitments keep me from doing so. I especially would love to get to Afton to MD as it is quite an old town and there were some Revolutionary camps and/or battles fought in the area I believe.

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
when You get your ?detector ?you should do an air test. ?after you read the manual of course. ?

To do this ?set it on a table and turn it on. ?then wave various objects ?( both good targets and junk) ?under the coil so you get an idea where they read on the meter and tone they make. ?vary the distance of from the coil too. ?this will give you an idea what will happen when you go over these objects in the ground.

TimmyNY

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forums! I am new to this site and have become hooked to it as well. I am 23 and living in Indiana, so it's nice to know that there are other people my age on here, haha.

Awesome mercury finds! I wish I had friends looking for those for me!

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum. You should find everything you need to know here, and then some.
Being an Atmospherical Science Major, is there anything you can do to warm things up in Minnesota. I've already got cabin fever.
If you get a chance to detect the school house you mentioned, let us know what you find.
Good luck and HH.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum, Bushido. If you're somebody who is always looking for treasures...along side the road, on the ground, and in your change...you're going to love metal detecting. Be forewarned....there's a lot of trash along with those treasures.

Good luck!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
welcome aboard jarred! im glad you finnally decided to post.lots of great folks on this site!sounds like you have a great spot to test that new gti at! also congrats on the silver. dont forget to check those mercs for some key dates. some of them may be worth something more than the silver content!
1916d
1921d
1942(2 over 1)
1942d(2 over 1)

also some semi key dates;
1926s
1931d

good luck hunting and dont forget to post your finds!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look forward to your posts. ?The Garrett GTI 2500 is a very good detector, a serious coin hound and finds relics just as well. ?If you get snowed in, try a few sledding hills where the kids go. ?Parking lot plowed piles of snow are another place that's accessible. ?The old school, I would hunt by myself, and pay very close attention to what the detector is saying, tone and visual display on every target. ?Set up a grid on the detectable areas, at least a visual grid. ?Hunt it all and dig it all if you can, the best discriminator is a shovel. ?Read up on the GTI 2500 forums and ask questions. ?HH and good luck, Mike

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, and good luck on future silver finds!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Jerred!

Your starting out with a great spot to hunt!!!

Do let us know what you find! Looking forward to your posts!

Nana ;)

T

THC

Let's see a cup of Mercs!

Let's see that pile of Mercs you got out of that roll. That has got to be a sight! ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread