New bank - $880 in halves that havent moved in over a year...

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
New bank - $880 in halves that haven't moved in over a year...

...all customer wrapped, old paper rolls with plenty of wear. Sounds great huh?
Sorry, 1 - '64 and 6 - 40% in the lot.
I had many solid rolls of '71, '76, '96, '99 and '01 with check marks on the face of '74, '77, and '96's.
There were only 6 rolls that were not from that same batch and they resulted in all the finds.
Looks like someones abandoned dump site.
Made the vault teller very happy, she's saving halves for me now, but not large dollars - apparently the Tooth Fairy gets those.

Upvote 0

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Re: New bank - $880 in halves that haven't moved in over a year...

Not a bad number from that, beats a skunk! You can check the 74's for DD pretty fast when they are sorted like that.

Maine_Jim

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga

Most likely they have been picked thru either by other customers or tellers. Some banks and CU will let customers open up the rolls and look thru them and take what they want. Sometimes tellers will do the same in their spare time just to get the silver.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

Funny. There is a bank that I went to a few months ago that had exactly $880.00 in halves. I didn't touch them because I knew it was a dump. I picked up a large dump there before. It used to be a good bank for silver before someone started using it as a dump bank.

OP
OP
Fredness

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009

This is a really good local bank in a small town, they don't have a coin contract so they have to pay $$$ to ship coins out. Figured I'd take a shot at it, get in good with the vault teller and use them as a supply point - now that I know they are "clean". So far, so good.
If I see dumps in the future, I'll decide if they are enough to make me rethink their status.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread