Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all,

I've been out working in West Virginia for a couple of weeks, so I haven't been posting and I just got caught up on reading. WOW!! There have been some great finds lately. I'll post my remarkable find later. But for now....

Have you ever found a 1983 on a copper planchet? Also, what can you tell me about the value of 1983 cents on copper? Is there one mint that accidentally put them out, or were there several? I hand search boxes and was wondering if I should keep my '83 cents and weigh them.

Also, I keep anything pre-1970 and check for '98, '99', '00 wide-AMs, '82 reverse DD, '70S high 7, '72 DDO, and '92 close AM. Is there anything else I should look for? Thanks in advance.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You search the way I do. I think you have it covered. :thumbsup:

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Looks like your going to catch most of the big ones. I also look for the '71ddo(got one), and the '60 small date. While it would probably be a great find, I will not spend the time weighing each '83 looking for a copper planchet..
I just remembered that I also look for the 69sddo.. Good luck to you, Gpurs..

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPURS said:
Looks like your going to catch most of the big ones. I also look for the '71ddo(got one), and the '60 small date. While it would probably be a great find, I will not spend the time weighing each '83 looking for a copper planchet..

Are those 60 small dates worth much? Got my fathers collection a few weeks ago and he has about 10 rolls of them.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I also look for the '95 DDO and the '84 DDO (double ear). Oh, and the '92 narrow AM. A recent CoinWorld I got says an MS-68 example could be worth $125,000!

What's your good find?

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
AGCoinHunter said:
GPURS said:

Are those 60 small dates worth much? Got my fathers collection a few weeks ago and he has about 10 rolls of them.

Ag, the '60 small dates are not worth a bunch-----G4=.25, AU50=$6, MS64r=$200..
Where in the world did your dad get 10 rolls of them? I've been looking for a long time and never found one :-\. I have found many of the '60d small date though... Good luck, Gpurs...

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was a collector during the 60's. I am not really into collecting pennies but he has full books of them (minus that 1909S VDB). Wish he would have kept a lot more than he did as far as silver. He searched only for key dates and threw back a lot of stuff we are drooling for these days. He does have several rolls of uncirculated 64 dimes. Hopefully when I get some time away from my own CRHing activities, I will go through his collection and take an inventory of what he has.

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all,

Thanks for the nice replies. I'll post my good find later Mr. B. It's my oldest coin to date, and I matched it today hunting nickels, so once I've got the photos I'll post. Probably sometime tonight.

It's helpful to know that I'm getting most of the biggies. I save all pre-1970 for two reasons. First, I like the way they look. They seem to have greater relief. Second, maybe one day I'll sell them on eBay or somewhere for the copper. I also forgot to mention that I save any Canadians that are pre-1970, or if I just like it. I also save any date that has good psychadelic toning dudes. Like totally far out man. I don't know what I'll do with them, but they're purty.

I'd still like to know that value of an '83 on copper. I thought maybe one of the Rydale owners would have stumbled upon one.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

sir

May 29, 2007
GPURS said:
You could just flip them and if it makes a ringing sound, its copper. If not, zinc.

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Sir. I've tried the sound thing by dropping them from an inch or so, but I'm so congested right now that my sinuses and hearing are dubious at best. I'll hang on to the '83s until I weigh 'em or figure out this copper planchet thing.

Where are the Rydale owners on this???

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Kantuckkeean said:
Where are the Rydale owners on this???

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Here I am, LOL!!! I have a friend that I see at the big coin show in Albany NY once a month and he just found a 1983 copper over the summer. It just came back XF-45 1983 copper planchett(from PCGS). I guess there has been a few of these turning up lately. I do not date search my copper pile so I don't know if I passed on any 1983 copper cents, I probably have with the 1 million copper cents I have sorted. The only thing I do with my copper cents is look at the reverse for wheat stacks and that is it. I am probably going look for 1983's now for a little bit to see if I can find one.

Happy Hunting,
Jason

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Mr. Bake,

Thanks for the info. Let me know if you find one. Also, did you see my sweet 1917?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
As a Ryedale owner, I am too busy just separating the copper from the zinc. Then I take the copper side and search for the wheats, but I don't look at dates after they are put on the copper side of the ejection chutes. I Just pout them aside to sell in $50 bags of copper. Waiting until we hit at least $100 per bag again, as it was $130 pretty consistently last year. So I"ll stockpile for now, while it is down, and then sell when it is up again.

And the wheats don't hurt either.

Hey Jason - did you get my order for some wheats if you can work those prices?

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
jrf30 said:
Hey Jason - did you get my order for some wheats if you can work those prices?

Yup I got the PM... But... After that find you had with the dimes the price is going up!!! LOL!!!

I am going through the list with my inventory.

Kantuckkeean said:
Howdy Mr. Bake,

Thanks for the info. Let me know if you find one. Also, did you see my sweet 1917?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Sorry I didnt catch the post about the 1917... I will go look for the post. I am in the same boat as jrf30 I just do a quick search in the copper for wheats, but I will do a few good searches for 1983 coppers. I will keep you posted if I find any.

Kantuck, good luck with the pennies, I love doing them because you just NEVER know what you will find. There is still some amazing things to find in pennies.

Happy Hunting,
Jason

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe you two could trade some of the dimes for the wheats. Sounds like there's been a silver drought in Mr. Bake's region.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread