My two day Odysee

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
I set out Wednesday for what I thought would be a simple half day road trip in between errands. I hit all the banks I could find getting the customary "No sorry" "Someone got them all the other day" "1 or 2" "Whats a half dollar" and "why" questions we all hear so much. Picked up a few here and there when I hit a bank that told me something very intresting.

The teller said she would be happy to check with the other tellers and the vault to find out how many they had, and in the mean time offered me $10 in Ike's to hold me over. She returns and tells me they don't have any but the coin counter has a bag with some. I ask her about buying the bag and she tells me that it has to be full before they can sell it. Always looking for a compromise I ask her if I can fill up the bag can I then purchase it. She checks and says "yes but it's a $1000 bag, that's a lot of half's." She also told me it was about 3/4 of the way full. So I figure $300+/- should be no problem right? Boy was I mistaken........

I set out on a new mission, acquire as many clad half's as possible and return to that bank before 5pm to purchase the bag. It's 3:14 I have to close an account at the worst bank I have ever dealt with (1st convince bank, convince my big Irish butt) in the mean time. So an hour and 45 min pfffttt I can do that any day I tell myself.

I hit the nearest bank and they say "YES YES WE ALL HAVE SOME HOW MANY WOULD YOU LIKE?!?" I, really meaning it now, say "well all of them please." You would have thought I was wearing a red suit and a white beard handing out small boxes labled "Jarrod's" on them they way they rushed to fill my order.

$126 and one '64 later I'm leaving very satisfied and thinking to my self oh man this will be easy.

The next 8 banks I hit had not a single, not ONE, half I could get. Always the optimist I continued on to 1st buttholes bank to close my account. (after asking about half's :laughing7: )

Continuing on pick up a handfull or so at the next couple of banks heading back to a bank who told me they had some but the vault teller would be out for 30 min or so. They had $100 I snagged.

So I search that $100 find a few 40% and then one roll with 17 silver. SWEET! :hello2: headed back to the bank with the bag with 20 min to spare I'm dreaming of dream bags and making enough money to buy my bowfishing boat, and other such nonsense. At this point my BIL meets up with me and we head to the bag bank.

I walk in and ask if I can still buy the bag that I should have enough to top it off. The lady says yes but if I don't have enough I still cant buy it.

So after the "are you a customer" question, and me fibbing a little saying that my business has an account here, them checking, confirming, blah blah blah, she takes my money and heads to the machine.

She comes back 5 min later empty handed......

My heart is breaking my pulse is racing, and she tells me, "it's still $59 shy." With defeat and the most pitiful look I could muster I ask her " and you really cant sell it to me even knowing exactly how many are in there?" She says no and it's 5 on the nose, closing time. I start to leave thinking, Well at least I dumped easy, when the other teller stops me and tells me she is heading to the drive through and if I could get the rest and finish the bag she would sell it to me from drive through!

I resist the urge to kiss her feet and rush out the door to find more clad. My brother in law is cracking up, at how intensely I'm searching for rejects for once. 7 banks, 45 min, and 0 clad later, dodging every grandmother doing 16 under the limit later I'm getting angry. We are googling on one phone, GPS ing on another and calling on both, EVERY BANK WE CAN. I call one that shows on my GPS as 1.3 miles away and they tell me they have $100 they would be HAPPY to sell me.

With 15min to finish, which I figure is just enough time, we head for 1st savior of our silver bank. We pull up to the window and I tell them I just called about the half dollars.

My heart pounds as the lady gives me a blank look and asks the other tellers something. She returns to the window. "you must have called our main branch, we don't have any but they are just 8 min up the road, and they don't close till 6 either. You could just make it"

Well after a min of pounding the steering wheel I decide to go get them anyway even though I knew I would not make it to the other bank and get the bag in time. I was just hopping I could pick up a few more silver for Wednesdays meager stash.

there were 3 out of the $100

(sorry I did not keep good records of exact finds due to my frustration. but I netted 5 90% and 43 40%)

Well all that night the thought of that bag drove me crazy. I had to have it. I HAD TO KNOW!

I decided to go 30min west to that town even though I work 30 min east of my house and get that bag.

The morning tellers had no idea what had happened the day before so they looked at me a little strange when, with drool on my chin and a crazy look in my eyes, I send through $60 in half's and ask for the bag. A little explaining, and the BEAST back fireing a little bit, they sell me the bag.

V, VI, V-I-C-T-O-R-Y THAT'S OUR SILVER BATTLE CRY! YEAH!!!!!!

I pull into work 30 min late and worked the bag at lunch.

Here are the hard won totals. from the bag only.

3 Franklin's
4 64's
44 40%
40 NIFC (someone dumped a whole roll of 2003 D and P)
1 1973 S Proof
6 Kenya 1 shelling coins
1 Australia 1950 large cent (super cool)
1 1988 hong kong $2 coin
2 Mexican 10 peso coins
1 Helvetia 2 FR. 1991 coin (Id help?)
4 random tokens
2 smashed pennies

Not a bad haul and well worth the adventure. Here's to more for all next week.

Attached is a picture of my Favorite find through out this 2 day adventure. It was at the first bank I stopped at too.

I'll post the rest of the pics tomorrow when the wife is not sick and sleeping.

Attachments

• cookie.jpg
    cookie.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 345
Upvote 0

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story. I can only admire your dedication. :notworthy:

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Gotta love the road trips. If your in no hurry. It's all seems worth it when you find a bunch of keepers. "I just love it when a plan comes togeather"

Mojo

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
In Texas we call those plate sized miracles"Sugar Cookies" They are the "monster CRHers" best friend. JP

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply awsome. I know the feeling. And you got a cookie to top it off. My dump bank always has cookies, I snag a few as I am feeding the machine. I know they hate me! :)

LastLuke

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2009
I was just hopping I could pick up a few more silver for Wednesdays meager stash.
... (I netted 5 90% and 43 40%)

Where I'm from, that's not a meager stash at all!

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome story and great finds. The Helvetica coin is a 2 Franc coin from Switzerland.

OP
OP
Cherryman68

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
LastLuke said:
I was just hopping I could pick up a few more silver for Wednesdays meager stash.
... (I netted 5 90% and 43 40%)

Where I'm from, that's not a meager stash at all!

At that point in the story I didnt think I had found all that much silver. Usually my road trips turn out much much better lol. It was not untill I got home and realized I had two rolls that I felt a little bit better.

OP
OP
Cherryman68

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
Jack_Mightyheart said:
Awesome story and great finds. The Helvetica coin is a 2 Franc coin from Switzerland.

THANKS for the ID!

I'm going to get a SDB so I can put that coin in it and claim I have a swiss bank account. Let the Gov go crazy looking for it :P

OP
OP
Cherryman68

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
coincrazed said:
Congratulations, father. Nice score. What gives with the sugar cookie, father? Good luck to you. - your son, coincrazed

Father is so formal. How about Big Pappa.

I love it when ya call me big pap-pa.

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
You got me so worked up with that story that I want to smash the nearest bank window and run off with every dang roll in it.

midnight run

Mar 21, 2009
Yeah, so I'm the brother in law that went with him on this "adventure". No Joke, I had a nightmare about cherryman's driving.
He had this wild look in his eye. Imagine the look Bigoot would have after a camper just kicked him in the nads. Hurting, yet furious(Bigfoot on fire kind of furious) That was the craziest day of crh I have ever been a part of. For some reason when we ride togerther on a road trip, it always seems to get crazy like that. I love it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread