An AWESOME day

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I don't do very well with silver in AZ, so I work on pennies more than anything else. But I still try my hand at dimes, quarters and especially halves from time to time.

Today I went into my W.F. bank to deposit some checks. Not even to pick up any coin. My teller told me that another teller had some money for me. Old coins. Cool. She was at lunch, and back in 7 minutes. I waited. And it was WORTh the wait!

This year so far I have found 4 silver Roosies and 6 silver quarters. Today those numbers changed unimaginatively (is that a word? LOL) The teller got back, opened her drawer, and gave me a roll of dimes. SOLID SILVER. 50 silver dimes, to add to my measly FOUR for the YTD column. Then she pulled out another roll. Solid silver. And another. and another. And ANOTHER!

When she stopped pulling out rolls, she placed $70 of dimes and $10 of quarters in front of me. ALL silver. That's 700 silver dimes! And of those, 5 were Mercury dimes. (Go Freddie!) So my total of silver Roosies goes from 4 to 699! And my silver Mercs goes from zero to 5.

Not to mention my quarters goes from 6 to 46.

I gave her FOUR coupons for free sandwiches at Chick Fil-A, to reward her for saving these for me. She liked that, and I'll get anything else she gets in the future. But this is amazing. I struggle so hard for a dime here and a dime there, and then I get 700 in one day! PLus 40 quarters!

AWESOME!

:-)

Upvote 0

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
jim4silver said:
coinmojo said:
jrf30 said:
That's how I got lucky on this score. Treat the tellers right, go to many banks, and keep working it. "The harder I work, the luckier I get". :-)

I mean no disrespect, and I understand everyones position on you giving the right reward to the teller for "SAVING" those coins for "YOU".
But what are you going to do when that teller finds out that you profited $800 on her kind gesture and you gave her a couple of sandwiches.

Lets talk about that. What do you think her reaction might be.?

Mojo

Mojo,

She may never find out. But let's say she is gonna find out someday. If JRF gives the teller a C note for her assistance, she will immediately get suspicious and do some research (maybe ask a friend, etc) and find out. If he gives her the coupons as he did, she will probably feel some appreciation and keep holding stuff for him.

Not all people are going to immediately quantify the coins into present day value like us CRHers and collectors do. For all she knows, he is saving them in a collection and not cashing them in.

Once a teller knows how much silver coins are worth, let's face it, they are gonna keep them for their own benefit or for their family. The longer it takes for this teller, or any teller, to discover what they are worth the better. JRF's "reward" was a balance between doing nothing and looking like a cheap a$$, and going overboard and giving too much, thus making her suspicious and finding out the value of silver and never saving it for JRF again.

Seems like an easy call to me.

How much would you give her if it was you in JRF's position, Mojo?

Jim

I gotta agree with Jim. I'd maybe go back in and buy her like a Venti Caramel Macchiato with a shot of Espresso from Starbucks! Let her know I really appreciate it without completely educating her and screaming "You just made me a ton of money." Because when it comes to money, very few people like the idea of people making money off them. I'd definitely go back and buy her starbucks though, or get her a starbucks gift card for $15. But I'd be sure to let her know I'm a collector and not teller her I CRH. Just do something enough to express your gratitude but don't go TOO far. I think you get what I'm tying to say. lol Still AMAZING find! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
coinmojo said:
jim4silver said:
coinmojo said:
So she forks over $800 in silver and you gave her some coupons........ Seems fair?

Chances are the teller did not know they were worth that much or she would have kept them for herself (800 bucks is alot to anyone these days, and nobody is that giving, except maybe family and even that is a bit of a stretch for that much).

If he gave too much of a gift they would know something was up. I think the fact that he gave anything is thoughtful, since the teller seemed like she wanted to give him the coins in the first place.

Jim

If it was an unknowing act which I suspect it was to a degree but she saved them for him. Get more coupons...... Tough position. It's always difficult when they purposely hold them for you because I personally feel she should get a cut. she just gave you a $720 gift actually @ 11 x face it is $800 profit. I'm sorry a couple of free sandwiches just don't cut it. Just saying.... Guess i'm Jealious..... Nice score

Mojo
I don't know why your so p'd about..she was a bank teller meaning the dimes was only worth face value... He paid what they was worth an added a lil bonus fair deal...

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
how about a breakdown on the dates? any keys or semi-keys?
as far as the reward thing.....i think that is for each of us to decide what is worth it. anything could backfire be it too much or too little. if she was happy then i say it worked out.

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
coincrazed said:
DAS7NY said:
coincrazed said:
I'm going to educate ALL the tellers at the bank I'm loyal to on how to find silver. You need to be LOYAL to that bank. I don't care WHAT D'ass has to say. He does NOT know what he's talking about. He is full of hot air. I am hitting the bank tomorrow
[/quote/] You're dumb CC. I'm not giving you any advice anymore.

[/quote/] You need to shut the --deleted-- up. No one on this forum, not even cherry man, midnight run, or enamel have made me this angry. I am angrier at you than I've ever been at anyone one this forum. I have never been more offended. You are --deleted--ing over the edge. The buck stops here. DON'T give me any more of your so-called "advice" which is bull--deleted--. I don't need your "advice". I never asked for it. You tried to force it off onto me. You mock me and think you know so much when in reality you know so little. I have had it with you, buddy. I'm dumb? You're arrogant and stuck up. You are a total idiot. Do not call me dumb. - coincrazed

?!?! I'm going to have to try harder.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I mean if you get something at a garage sale and make 10 times the purchase price no one wants you to take the seller a part of the money.

Why not? First of all, if I was at a garage sale and saw someone selling something that they could easily make 10 times the purchase price on I'd tell them about it. I guess that's just the kind of guy I am. I don't like to knowingly take advantage of people. I know that many of the people out here don't have problems with the idea of someone's loss is another person's gain. As long as they can sleep at night then I guess I can't judge.

As for this case it is a much tougher one. I've heard that in general the tellers are not supposed to be confiscating the silver for themselves. Some can potentially get fired for it. But I'm not sure how universal this is. In this case the silver doesn't actually "belong" to the teller in the first place so it's not like I am taking something from him/her personally. I would certainly reward the teller with a nice gift if I had been given so many nice coins. But I wouldn't necessarily want to tip my hand. If asked I would probably tell them that I collect them for my kids. This is actually the truth. If they asked how much they were worth I wouldn't lie about it though. The tellers at my bank already know all about CRH. I had one teller tell me to my face that she got a whole roll of siver a couple of months ago and gave them out to people she knows. I congratulated her. Not much else you can do. I would have liked to have had that roll but the people at my branch are pretty wise to it. I still get silver now and then from them. They don't open every roll they get so occasionally I get the random 40% coin or two. I'm not a die hard CRH'er as you can probably tell though.

So it's a tough call. The teller doesn't actually "own" the silver. They simply "own" the option of cashing in should they choose to potentially risk their job over it. Some banks would frown on it and others don't. If you are a true collector then the gift you give doesn't have to be worth the monetary value of the coins. After all, the coins are worth no more than face value until you decide to sell them. If you give them to your kids to keep for their collections the coins could potentially end up being worthless. It can happen. Although it is HIGHLY unlikely. ;D

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008
You did the right thing in my opinion. I've put my first 2 on ignore. Isn't there an age limit on these forums.

Ju8vP3t

dp2013 said:
You did the right thing in my opinion. I've put my first 2 on ignore. Isn't there an age limit on these forums.

Ditto that dp2013, I've just added one to the Ignore List :thumbsup:

To address the OP, it's only happened once for me that walking up to one of the tellers I know, she said "Do you collect these" she had 10 halves in her hand a mix of Franklins & Walkers, uh, yes I do.......As for compensating them, I've sprung for pizza before for the crew, cost me $25, BUT I've pulled out over $600 in Silver from that branch, so I don't mind at all.

As for the "Gift" of $80 Face in 90% silver for Face Value, that's AWESOME!!!!!! Over $950 in silver for $80 :headbang: :thumbsup:

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
coincrazed said:
Cherryman68 said:
coincrazed said:
DAS7NY said:
coincrazed said:
I'm going to educate ALL the tellers at the bank I'm loyal to on how to find silver. You need to be LOYAL to that bank. I don't care WHAT D'ass has to say. He does NOT know what he's talking about. He is full of hot air. I am hitting the bank tomorrow

[/quote/] You need to shut the --deleted-- up. No one on this forum, not even cherry man, midnight run, or enamel have made me this angry. I am angrier at you than I've ever been at anyone one this forum. I have never been more offended. You are --deleted--ing over the edge. The buck stops here. DON'T give me any more of your so-called "advice" which is bull--deleted--. I don't need your "advice". I never asked for it. You tried to force it off onto me. You mock me and think you know so much when in reality you know so little. I have had it with you, buddy. I'm dumb? You're arrogant and stuck up. You are a total idiot. Do not call me dumb. - coincrazed

My Big Papa wouldn't try to make his son angry. You are just bluffing, Papa. - your son, coincrazed

Everyone here has ONLY tried to HELP you... I'm done and I hope everyone else is too... :-X

sir

May 29, 2007
This is a place to talk about CRH not to insult others with expletives and foul language.

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
coincrazed said:
DAS7NY said:
coincrazed said:
Cherryman68 said:
coincrazed said:
DAS7NY said:
coincrazed said:

My Big Papa wouldn't try to make his son angry. You are just bluffing, Papa. - your son, coincrazed

Everyone here has ONLY tried to HELP you... I'm done and I hope everyone else is too... :-X
IS HELP SYNONAMOUS WITH "FORCE"? I'M GLAD YOU ARE DONE. --deleted-- THAT --deleted--! YOU WERE ONLY JEALOUS OF ME BECAUSE I HAD A BANK THAT WAS NICE TO ME AND DIDN'T GIVE ME --deleted--. YOU ARE A TOTAL PRIMMADONNA, AND THAT'S WHY THE --deleted--ING BANKS ARE NOT NICE TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not fighting back man, I'd just love to tell you all the banks like it when I walk it and are glad to see me. ;D All my banks are that way. :wink:

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrads on a great day and I think the coupons were an adequate way of saying thanks,IMO.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jim4silver said:

Jim

Well as I said that's a tough one.

I suppose the coupons were right not to tip her off, but if this teller were doing this for me all the time as high as 25% if I were selling them right away. and we discussed this arrangement.

I guess it would depend on the relationship. @10% your looking at an $80 gift card that could buy her family a good night out, and would make you look like a great guy even if she knew you had made 10 x that much you would still have her respect. and her job would not be in jeopardy for brokering silver coins for 1 customer.

Mojo

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
coinmojo said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

I suppose the coupons were right not to tip her off, but if this teller were doing this for me all the time as high as 25% if I were selling them right away. and we discussed this arrangement.

I guess it would depend on the relationship. @10% your looking at an $80 gift card that could buy her family a good night out, and would make you look like a great guy even if she knew you had made 10 x that much you would still have her respect. and her job would not be in jeopardy for brokering silver coins for 1 customer.

Mojo

$65 card to Fridays! I think that's very fair, only if you sell though. :thumbsup:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coinmojo said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

Mojo

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coinmojo said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

Mojo

Mojo,

If your teller knew you were selling right away because you discussed it, your offer of 25% would be way too low. Why would she need you in the equation if she knew the coins were that valuable. Presumably she would know the value since she would know the percentage split. Thus, she would ask herself, "why should I get $200 and Mojo get $600, since I found these fine silver dimes and can buy them from the bank at face value?".

She would then could cut out the middleman (you) and keep 100% for herself. I would think that in your area there are at least a few coin stores equally available to her as they would be to you.

See, this is where the whole key to my (and others') position on not overdoing it comes in.

In an "equitable" sense you might be right that the teller deserves a bigger reward. But the beauty of this is that JRF has a teller who is saving him good scores. Under your way Mojo, it would only work one or perhaps two times until she gets wise and says "why save these for Mojo?".

Jim

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Jim, she might lose her job if she is the one to buy the coins directly. However, I do agree with you. She could always find another "partner" to come in and buy the coins that will give her a 50-50 split or even better.

But as I said before this is a tricky issue with no easy answer.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
jb7487 said:
Jim, she might lose her job if she is the one to buy the coins directly. However, I do agree with you. She could always find another "partner" to come in and buy the coins that will give her a 50-50 split or even better.

But as I said before this is a tricky issue with no easy answer.

Although it may vary by jurisdiction, every teller I have ever spoken with said that they are free to exchange cash for coins if they want them. What they said is that they sell them to another teller at the bank, then buy them from that teller (seems a bit redundant, but I guess they have their rules to follow). I have had several tellers mention that people have come in with old silver dollars (as they call them) or junk coins and they get them for their own "collections". I have asked some tellers to be on the lookout for me and they said they would keep the coins for themselves if they found them. I cannot blame them for that, I would do the same.

I have never heard of a bank where tellers are forbidden from doing this, but there probably are some out there I suppose.

As far as a teller splitting with a customer, I don't see why they would have to even do that. It would be like walking down the street and finding a $100 bill blowing by. To split, would be like picking it up and handing it to somebody walking by and have them give you $50. Why do that?

I can see a teller doing something like that (splitting the coins) for a family member or close friend, but it would be completely altruistic and not serve any real purpose as far as facilitating the claiming or ownership of the silver coins in my opinion.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread