Part time hunter

motto motto

Greenie
Mar 25, 2009
I have been reading here for about a year and only hunting for about half that. I moved back south this past year after living in Anchorage Ak for the past 8 years. I wish that I would have found this site while I was still in Ak. I still get back to Ak every month because I work in Deadhorse Ak and live in the south, so I still get to hit one or two banks everytime I'm in town. The thing is that I have a hard time finding the time to hunt because I felt guilty not spending time with my family after being gone for 2-6 weeks at a time. Well, that all changed last week. I took my wife with me and we picked up $360 in hand rolls and found 6-40% and 1-90% (she found 5 and I found 2). I have created a monster, thank god!!!!!

We also found a 1974 proof (clad of course). It's in really good shape and I was wondering if there is a market for these wild proof coins?

Upvote 0

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the addiction after your time of lurking! I'm glad to see that you've created a monster (I've been trying to create one in my family for a while now). As for the '74 proof, it's probably only worth a few bucks at best. If you want you can pick up a Blue Book ($15) from the bookstore and that should give you a more accurate price. I would keep it. :thumbsup:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
motto motto said:
It's in really good shape and I was wondering if there is a market for these wild proof coins?
Not really, they are called impaired proofs. I once sold over a dozen to another CRHer so he could sell on ebay. I never heard back so I assume they didn't do too well.
I guess if you find the right person you might be able to get a $ or so. For a proof to have it's value it has to be in the plastic capsule.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
No banks in Deadhorse- did you live in Fairbanks and work days on/days off?

OP
OP
M

motto motto

Greenie
Mar 25, 2009
No, I lived in Anchorage. I work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, and I switch from days to night every other time I come up.

I have it a few banks on the days that I'm going home though. It was pretty cool the first time I asked I got 200 in machine rolled and ended up with about 10-90% and 16-40% including my first and only Franklin. The only thing about up here is most banks get thier 1/2's from the coin machines in thier lobbies.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
cyberdan said:
motto motto said:
It's in really good shape and I was wondering if there is a market for these wild proof coins?
Not really, they are called impaired proofs. I once sold over a dozen to another CRHer so he could sell on ebay. I never heard back so I assume they didn't do too well.
I guess if you find the right person you might be able to get a $ or so. For a proof to have it's value it has to be in the plastic capsule.

same experience here (no value over face- no buyers even on Ebay), dumped close to 100 in cash registers last month had NONE for couple weeks then other day got a Silver stash 58 or so Silvers in cold call on bank in 11 rolls and also picked up another 80 or so Clad Proofs too with the silvers, will spend them again rather than turn them into Bank.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
motto motto said:
No, I lived in Anchorage. I work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, and I switch from days to night every other time I come up.

I have it a few banks on the days that I'm going home though. It was pretty cool the first time I asked I got 200 in machine rolled and ended up with about 10-90% and 16-40% including my first and only Franklin. The only thing about up here is most banks get thier 1/2's from the coin machines in thier lobbies.

Always wondered about AK silver. I love Anchorage.
My company just finished a turnaround at BP in Deadhorse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions