Lunch outing brings me my lowest mintage coin yet.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go out to dump 800 dollars in the coin machine and decided to swing by a BOA that was up the street. Its a bit off the beaten path so I have had decent luck getting silver there. Did the usual ask, and the teller says another teller has some halfs. Wait my turn and the other teller says she has $50 worth. Figure its a dump but take it anyway. Grab some nickels for the evening. So I get into the car and rip open the wrappers. Find 2 90's and one 40 and a coin that now is my lowest mintage coin in my collection........ a 1972 Mexican Peso, mintage of 120,000. Anyone know what this sucker is made out of?

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 1972peso.jpg
    1972peso.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 318
Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds, and good luck with the nickels.

Do you have a link that shows Mexican coin mintages ? Could you share it with us ?

Thanks.

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I dont have a place to go for mintage. Just saw one on a website which was selling one and it listed the mintage.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found a couple of those. Threw 'em in the trash! No j/k, gave em to the kids. (still ended up in the trash?) ffd

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I figure it wasnt worth much being a peso (8 cents, maybe). Kinda cool to find. I keep all my foreign coins, make good things for the kids to see one day.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
AGCoinHunter said:
Yea, I figure it wasnt worth much being a peso (8 cents, maybe). Kinda cool to find. I keep all my foreign coins, make good things for the kids to see one day.

Try $0.00008. Since it was issued before the reform.

Caza feliz (Happy Hunting)
65GT350

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, so copper and nickel in this thing is worth more.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
AGCoinHunter said:
Sorry I dont have a place to go for mintage. Just saw one on a website which was selling one and it listed the mintage.

Just an FYI, I would take any info listed on sell sites like that with a grain of salt. Would be neat, though, to have access to mintages (from the respective country's official mint) of coins from other countries.

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good link there GT. Found that coin, mintage 121,000,000! Its pretty rare :) I know various websites are not exactly trustworthy, but until I saw this link GT supplied, I didnt know where on earth the mintage of these were documented.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread