Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all,

I'm a jackass. I admit it. I know how many of you feel about marking coins, so it is with much chargrin that I admit to recently taking to marking coins with a silver Sharpie. Only nickels. Not the edges, ONLY the obverse and reverse, and ONLY on what I call "parking lot nickels", yeah you know the type, very scratched, some without dates, the type only a lunatic would put in a collection. Anyways, I'd done this a few times, and all had been going well until I go to dump about $200 in nickels and $150 in halves at a bank with a new teller. First the tellers flip out over the zipper bag full of halves, then the new teller was very slow with the machine. As she's putting the nickels into the machine (seemed like about 50 at a time), she runs into my marked nickels. After seeing a few, she asked another teller about them, who replied "Do they stick to the magnet?" She said no, so the girl ran a couple of them back to a manager who came out and told her to put them aside. The manager said that they were "going to run some tests", which got the more experienced teller excited and she wanted to watch. The manager said no, but the pulling out of my marked coins slowed the new teller down even more, which frankly, I didn't think was possible. I ask, "What's going on?" even though I know. The more experienced teller says that they think some of the nickels are counterfeit. I act shocked, and I don’t want to admit that I marked them with a Sharpie, so I ask to see one. I take a look, and say “looks spray-painted”. I scratch some of the Sharpie ink off with a Canadian nickel that they’d given me back, and say “yeah, it’s coming off.” I then ask if they have any nail polish remover handy, and one girl pulls out an alcohol wipe and starts rubbing one of the “counterfeit nickels”. They’re all excited and start chatting about how cool chemistry is, and how this is the most exciting thing to happen to them all day. So some of the “paint” comes off with the alcohol wipe and we’re bouncing nickels on the counter listening to them. Yep, sounds real. I’m getting rather irked, as I’ve been in there for about 25 minutes, and I’ve got banks to get to, but I still can’t admit to marking them and I’ve only got my own stupid self to blame-should have used blue. Meanwhile, the newbie who’s like a turtle, has stopped feeding the machine. I tell her to go ahead and finish running them through, so the Secret Service can take the whole bag, or they can give them back to me, or whatever. At least that’ll be done. As the newbie goes back to the machine, the other two tellers and myself are trying to figure out who’d be so devious as to counterfeit nickels. So the manager comes back out and asks me where I got them. I say that I got them out of sealed Brinks boxes from local banks-can’t really remember which ones, start naming some of the banks I’ve got accounts with. She says that they’re going to send them off for “further testing”. I tell her about our “lobby tests” and the results, and she says that it may just be paint, but the look kind of funny and counterfeits often look really good. She says that they’ll credit my account with them, but if they turn out to be fakes, they’ll have to take the money out, and they’ll call me. So, finally, after 35-40 minutes, I get my money and go. My wife thought it was hilarious, and she was there for the last 10 minutes or so. She got tired of waiting and wanted to see what the hold up was. She thought there might be a real hold-up going on. The moral of this story is….well there is no moral I guess. Was that karma for marking coins?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Upvote 0

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
;D good story there. I guess we all have to learn the hard way sometimes! Marking nickels :icon_scratch:

Maine_Jim

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Maine_Jim,

Same reason as with the halves. I don't mark halves or anything else. Just the parking lot nickels. I figure that there's less chance of getting nickels back as they're still in circulation, but I would like to know about return times.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
They had to be pulling your leg in an attempt to discourage you from dumping there. There is no way that they can be that stupid.

Ju8vP3t

Really, Counterfeit nickels?

..Here's something related to counterfeiting anyway, stopped to gas up the car, opened the door for some guy walking in, he gave the clerk a $5 and walked out, as I was getting ready to pay, the clerk was pre-occupied with the $5 bill, I noticed it was one of the newer issues, with the purple "5", so the clerk held it up to the light, then hit it with an iodine pen, uh-oh, a black streak, the clerk runs out, approaches the guy, who immmediately pulls out another $5 and gives it to the clerk...pumps the gas and he's gone....guess there are those out there trying to pass small bills for small things..

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I was looking at a web sight where they showed a huge Chinese counterfeit coin operation, that is apparently legal over there. Looked like they were making IH, SLQ, Morgan/Peace dollars, etc. Mainly older collectable coins.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
They had to be pulling your leg in an attempt to discourage you from dumping there. There is no way that they can be that stupid.

Oh yes they can.

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
I'm just curious about what kind of "tests" the manager was running. I mean I'm sure they've received some kind of training or info about counterfit currency but I seriously doubt that banks are equipped with more than a pen to test. Especially with the coins, i mean is she doing some kind of acid test? That makes it all the more ridiculous to me and I'd be raising hell with them wasting your time like that.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
I was thinking the same thing but then I remembered that common sense "ain't" so common anymore. To begin with just imagine how many nickels a counterfeiter would have to pass off to make it profitable. Rare dates I could understand, but the common Jefferson for the most part is not even worth the metal used to produce it (almost but not quite).

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
This story is still making me laugh! That's just too funny... And Mistergee I've gotta agree with everything you've just said... :D :D :D

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Rich Hartford said:
I was looking at a web sight where they showed a huge Chinese counterfeit coin operation, that is apparently legal over there. Looked like they were making IH, SLQ, Morgan/Peace dollars, etc. Mainly older collectable coins.

When I was in New York a couple of weeks back we stopped in a flea market in lower Manhattan. Just as I was walking up to this particular booth an elderly man was buying 2 silver eagles they looked pretty worn and the weird thing was the date on one was 1900 or something. I told the buyer that I suspected they could be counterfit because they didnot start making those coins until 1986. He got his $30 back boy was the seller surprised. he gave me quite the glare but acted like I sell them to the next sucker.

Mojo

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 100% confident that they were uncertain about the authenticity of the coins and that they were not messing with me to keep me from dumping there. The one teller was obviously new and had probably received a bit of training or warning about counterfeiting and was concerned that if she let the "fake" nickels slip through, her job would be at risk. The others were too excited by the prospect of finding the possible fakes to just be acting.

I figured that you all could find the humor in this. I know my wife and I sure did.

As to the Chinese counterfeit coins, yes that could be very profitable. It is a great shame that they're passing these off to unsuspecting buyers. Scoundrels.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread