Interesting 1969 half found at lunch

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a question for those of you on the forum. Found a 1969 D half today during lunch run. When the teller picked it up I could tell right away it was silver. Started taking a look at it and it appears to be a 90% silver. Checked out mintage numbers and understand there were no 90% struck in 1969. Proofs were only struck with an S mintmark.

As I examine the coin there are no obvious signs that it has been painted or altered. No clad sandwich on the rim, solid silver. The reverse has a little bit of toning on the top of the rim but no obvious signs of any copper clad on this coin. I tried to take a picture on my phone but just doesn’t focus in on the rim very well. I will try to post some pictures of it this evening when I can get my camera.

Is it possible that this coin was struck on a 90% silver planchet? Anyone have any insight into this. :-\

Upvote 0

Philmont_709n2

Jul 2, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
I have seen many 40% halves that are so pure white on the edge that they look like 90%. Its probably just a 40% in real nice condition.

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Philmont_709n2 said:
I have seen many 40% halves that are so pure white on the edge that they look like 90%. Its probably just a 40% in real nice condition.

Same

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I will try to get it weighed. Dont have a scale currently but I will figure some way to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread