Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have seen somewhere where they call these hobo dollars, hobo halfs, ect.

OP
OP
S

stu123

Aug 16, 2009
If this is a 'hobo dollar', does that mean it's worth more than 1$

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Ike never looked so good haha. HH Mark
Hobos couldn't afford dollars thats why most are nickels. There are some crude modern examples these days, maybe with enough practice they will get as good as the masters.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the only example of a hobo dollar I have EVER seen. Take it to a coin auction. It may be a crude example but it is the only one I've ever seen.

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
As far as my familiarity with Hobo nickels goes the ones desired by coin collectors are the old, vintage nickels done by traceable Hobo-artists. Surprisingly a large number are identifiable by experts due to the individual styles of the artists.

Not to say that a small premium wouldn't be realized by selling this coin, I don't think there is a ready market especially since it's so recent.

Cool find.

OP
OP
S

stu123

Aug 16, 2009
OK, I confess. I carved this coin myself! I'm trying to learn the art of hobo coin carving. It is my first attempt at doing a character. The other one's I've done are erasing the back of a coin and carving in line art.
My apologies to the Ike lovers out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread