bank stops and two boxes

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
Hit a few banks I passed today at work and picked up two boxes I ordered also.

Road trip loose got me one 67.

Box one-skunk
Box two-skunkish
It was a full box of new 2000 D. Weird thing was is they had a stamp saying they were inspected aug 30 2008... Why would a box be inspected 8 years after they received it. Opened a few tails tails rolls and sure enough all 2000 D.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The Fed has "new" old coins bagged up and ready to go as needed. I mostly see 1996 when that happens to me.

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
joad said:
The Fed has "new" old coins bagged up and ready to go as needed. I mostly see 1996 when that happens to me.

Exactly, it used to happen to me too. 95's & 96's were hot for a while. If Brinks (for example) get low on halves, they put in an order with the nearest fed. institution. Many times they will ship out large bags of brand new coin from years ago. Then Brinks will package (roll & box) them for the banks placing the order. As they ship them out, they inspect the boxes and stamp them. Then, WHAMMY! You get a skunk box.

SilverMiser

Sep 2, 2009
Hey Cherryman,

You might be able to sell those rolls on ebay for a small premium if they are full uncirculated rolls. There are plenty of collectors out there that buy uncirculated rolls of all denominations.

SilverMiser

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'd probably try to sell some on ebay and I'd hang on to a roll or two anyway. I can't help myself though. I keep the circulated proofs and I've kept the only newer NIFCs that we've found.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread