428$ in halves

stu123

Aug 16, 2009
If you can't enjoy the journey, then you shouldn't take the CRH trip. Else how can one keep going when at the end of looking thru 856 halves to only net one 1968?
It is a thrill to yank out a silver and find those interesting weird coins and all, but I also enjoy the thrill of the hunt. Talking to the nice tellers and building a rapore with them, and feeling I'm different from the ordinary Joe just depositing their paycheck to pay the rent with. It can't be about just the silver, 'cause the silver isn't always there and if you added up it took about 3 hours to net a 3$ coin, I could make more money working 3 hours at mcdonald's! It HAS to be about the journery..... What is your opinion on that?
In the non-silver dept I also got a half that looks like it was copper plated, and one that looked like
it didn't get the whatever step that makes it shiney. And a brilliant 2001.
IMGA0176.JPG

Upvote 0

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Stu,

The one that you say looks as though it was copper-plated has what is called toning. It happens when the metals react with some chemical, such as acid. Often they're oxidation reactions. I've got a bag of cents that have cool toning, blues, reds, greens, psychadelic stuff. I don't know what I'll do with them, but they're pretty.

After going through 4,979 halves with my wife yesterday, only to keep 17, I'd have to say that we're in it for the thrill of the hunt. She only does halves, as her favorite coin is the Walking Liberty. One day I'll probably sell off a bunch of the 40%ers and some of the 90%ers, but for now I'm just hunting and collecting.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
The only way to look at this game is for the thrill of the hunt... If you look at it to try and make money from it you will be dissapointed A LOT!

I do this because I love collecting wheat pennies, and so far it has been a HELL of a trip! 15,000+ and still counting.

And the best thing about doing pennies is I have never had a SKUNK box, and that is with 2.7 million pennies searched. And I still love the hunt just like I did at day one. When I dont enjoy it anymore it is time to retire the Ryedale and move on to more enjoyed things. The best part about this great hobby, my wife, my 14 year old son, and my 8 & 6 year old daughters all get in the searching. We sit at the table and start ripping open rolls to see what each other finds.

Happy Hunting,
Jason

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008
We so often forget that all of life is about the journey. You are wise to enjoy every minute of your CRH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread