$ .50 Question

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
I haven't posted on this forum lately because no body is interested in reading about "SKUNKS" and that's what I've been getting lately with only an isolated silver here and there. Going through a bag tonight netted two bi-centennials, one of them an obvious clad proof and the other has the "s" mintmark but appears to be silver. It weighs 11.6 grams while the clad proof weighs 11.2 grams. Were there silver bi-centennials minted with the "s" mintmark and if so, are they 40% or 90%? Thanks for any information you may be able to provide. HH

Fl Junkman

Upvote 0

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
FL Junkman said:
I haven't posted on this forum lately because no body is interested in reading about "SKUNKS" and that's what I've been getting lately with only an isolated silver here and there. Going through a bag tonight netted two bi-centennials, one of them an obvious clad proof and the other has the "s" mintmark but appears to be silver. It weighs 11.6 grams while the clad proof weighs 11.2 grams. Were there silver bi-centennials minted with the "s" mintmark and if so, are they 40% or 90%? Thanks for any information you may be able to provide. HH

Fl Junkman

It sounds like a 40% silver half. It appears to weigh .1 gram over the spec but that is okay. Does it look like a proof or is it one of the uncirculated versions?

HH,

65GT350

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were some bicentennials that were 40% silver with the S mint mark.

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009
I picked up a 1976 silver clad two weeks ago. The roll also included three other proofs (two others were silver clad as well).

Way to go.

Bob

OP
OP
FL Junkman

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
Thanks to all you guys for your replies. This one does not have a mirrored background with the frosted image. Looks like an ordinary half except for the silver rim and the weight, so I assuming a 40%. Well, one more for the pile. Now I have four more bags to check with another bag to pick up tomorrow. Maybe one of these will yield something. If not, hey, it's just an enjoyable hobby. HH

FL Junkman

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
It sounds like you have the business strike version of the 40% half. I would put in in a 2x2. I bet you could trade it for 1 or 2 90% halves.

HH,
65GT350

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
Nice find! I have yet to find one and I have seen lots and lots of 76. Once got a 300$ bag of them.

That and a 70 are still on my list.

Did find a clad 76 proof yesterday though. Anyway great job and keep um coming!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread