Yesterday/Today

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I use a salad fork...silver of course...poke it thru the end at an angle and rip of the end and push them out. Of course if you are trying to save the roll this method won't work.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my finger nails and really need a different method. Darn things hurt for days after pealing through 150 rolls a night.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I use a steak knife and push the tip under the rolled over edge from the center of the open ends while gripping the roll in my left hand with about 1" of the end of the roll sticking out as to not cut myself.
Once I push the knife under the rolled edge I push the knife blade about halfway through, using a little leverage I twist and rip that rolled over edge right off and than just push the coins through the end gripping the roll with my left hand and using my right thumb to push them through. Be sure to press your thumb off center once the coins tilt they should just slide right out.
It takes just a couple of rolls to master this technique. I can edge search a box in less than 15 minuets using this method.
I rip all the ends off first while i have the knife in my hand picking them up with my left hand 1 by 1. Once all the ends are popped I set the knife down and begin the 2nd process Pushing the coins through the ends.
the steak knife should look like a Sishkabob with 50 paper rings on it. you only need to rip half the ring off to push them through because sometimes the entire ring wont rip free.

Mojo

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
I use my computer desk side edge and smack the roll to crack it open, or a bottom of a deodorant spray to crack it open. I don't think I damage any coins...

OP
OP
N

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Thanks for the replys and info. Boxes may be safe from me hunting them. Kinda sorta crushed my left wrist at work a couple years ago and it still gives me problems after 4 ops. Oh well, life goes on.
Thanks again.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I use my computer desk side edge and smack the roll to crack it open, or a bottom of a deodorant spray to crack it open. I don't think I damage any coins...
me either....i throw mine across the room so that when they hit the wall they fly all over the room. then i use the vacuum cleaner to pick them up ;D

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
If you are saving the rolls, then use a paper clip. While rotating the roll with the paper clip under the lip of the roll, the crimp will come undone. Push the coins out and listen for the silver. If you are hunting with a partner, you can challenge them to find the silver. Dump a bunch of rolls and hopefully some with silver and see who fetches the silver faster out of the heap. Makes it a little bit more rewarding and interactive. To re-roll the coins, pinch the roll and slide the coins in at a 45 degree angle.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I use the end of a letter opener to pry the lip of the roll loose. I rotate the roll until it's loose for a an inch or so. I can reuse the roll easily then. It takes me an hour to do a box. I reuse the rolls and I look at every coin, not just the edges.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread