SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a little town bank today in Ohio to get a roll of quarters and dimes, or two, and guess what? The teller wanted to charge me extra for the coins because I am not a member of their bank.

In these times, someone is charging for exchanging coins......amazing. And no, I didn't buy any coins. I refused to pay on principle-- although it was only 5 cents per roll.

SKD

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing to realize is that banks don't have to give you coin. Especially if you don't have an account with them. Just like banks charging non account holders to cash payroll checks. I've been lucky. I have several I can get coin from without being asked about an account. You will find some that will allow you to get coin, just keep looking.
HH
Gilbert

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
"First thing to realize is that banks don't have to give you coin"
Enamel,
Thanks for raising my blood pressure with that opening line.

HH

Rich

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i have noticed that the small town banks are resistant to giving up thier coin except for account holders. they seem to carry minimal amount of coin. i had one bank refuse to give me thier customer rolls because they use them to give out change. this was one of only 2 banks in the area. downtown Philly where there's lots of business and competition the banks will give you all you want.

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Banks have to pay an outside companies to sort and roll coin for them. It would only make sense to me that some must pass this cost on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions