Tellers cherry picked some Big silver

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
So I was dumping what was left of my four boxes (which yielded 3 40% and 2 90%) at WF. As I walk up one of the tellers complains that they don't want anymore dollar coins. I explain that they are half dollars so everything will be alright. She goes on to explain that some guy just came in with nearly $500 in old silver dollars. Of course I know that they are just Ikes but I figure what the hell maybe I will find something so I offer to buy them. They were very excited to be rid of them to say the least. Total comes out to $460 and as I hand her the money and she pushes the coins over to me she then tells me about the 7 Peace and 2 older ones (morgans) that she had pulled out of the batch. I almost yelled at her but kept my composure and asked if she was interested in selling them, to which she said no my husband collects these.

And the $460 turned out to be all clad... :( Took them all to the WF down the road where they give me a hard time for dumping and have thrown away 2 of my nice tupperware containers. They were less than excited to see what I had brought them.

Upvote 0

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Those Viking Fans are everywhere !!!!! Good luck on Monday Night. JP

OP
OP
packfan_1982

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
No Kidding, I hate having to suffer through all of the sunday games with no Packers to watch.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop yer whining! I'm a Lions Fan!!! When they Finally do win a game they beat my wife's team! Guess I rubbed that one in a little too much. (if you get my drift) I can't win for losing!

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
If I were a teller, I'd be cherry picking big time. I'd be swiping the coins out of the other tellers tray. I'd ask to be a floater so I could hit the other branches as well. I'd be cleaning out the vaults and checking the bags during my lunch break.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Yeah, if I were a teller I"d make about $8 per hour at the job, and hopefully another $1`0 per hour in the cherry picking business. ;D ANd it still wouldn't pay the bills!

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jrf30 said:
Yeah, if I were a teller I"d make about $8 per hour at the job, and hopefully another $1`0 per hour in the cherry picking business. ;D ANd it still wouldn't pay the bills!

But if you hand $800 in silver to you nice collector customer he might give you a couple of coupons to get some sandwiches........ Sorry I could not resist...... Just that your comment seemed strange coming from you. If you know how little they make it seems you might have been more generous...... Just saying.

Mojo

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I had a teller with a peace dollar in her tray last week...needless to say she said she was keeping it. >:(

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coinmojo said:
jrf30 said:

But if you hand $800 in silver to you nice collector customer he might give you a couple of coupons to get some sandwiches........ Sorry I could not resist...... Just that your comment seemed strange coming from you. If you know how little they make it seems you might have been more generous...... Just saying.

Mojo

Sorry Mojo, but I disagree. It is an all or nothing game. If the tellers know the value of the coins, they keep them for themselves (rightfully so I might add). If they don't know the value and want to be nice, they give them to customers like JRF who might or might not give them something in return, like his coupons.

Your whole theory about giving bigger rewards is not relevant because if they know the value of the coins they will keep them for themselves. Why would they even give you or another CRHer a valuable coin for a 50, 60 or 70 percent reward when they can keep them for 100 percent of the value for themselves?

If you can give an answer to this question then you should and continue to dog out old JRF for his coupons. If not, then give it up in my opinion. Any input Mr. Mojo???

Just sayin'.

Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jim4silver said:
Sorry Mojo, but I disagree. It is an all or nothing game. If the tellers know the value of the coins, they keep them for themselves (rightfully so I might add). If they don't know the value and want to be nice, they give them to customers like JRF who might or might not give them something in return, like his coupons.

Your whole theory about giving bigger rewards is not relevant because if they know the value of the coins they will keep them for themselves. Why would they even give you or another CRHer a valuable coin for a 50, 60 or 70 percent reward when they can keep them for 100 percent of the value for themselves?

If you can give an answer to this question then you should and continue to dog out old JRF for his coupons. If not, then give it up in my opinion. Any input Mr. Mojo???

Just sayin'.

Jim

OK. What I'm saying is that he already got the coins he had a huge windfall, she saved them for him. This most likely will not happen again if she finds out what a mistake she made and she will be pissed knowing that she just handed over 3 to 4 weeks pay to a guy that is a nice guy but he just gave her a couple of coupons.

He made the comment acknowledging that tellers make $8 per hour at best and another buck on silver finds if they are lucky. Most tellers around here are on a 32 hour a week schedule, that's $256 before taxes. or around $200 after taxes. We could debate this all day I'm just saying it's strange for him to acknowledge the fact that tellers are underpaid and he had a chance to give her a serious reward and failed to do so. So are you sympathetic or are you not JRF?

I would have been more gratefull. that's all. and the funny thing is I like JRF always enjoy reading
his post just a little disappointed with some of the people who when given valuable coins by a teller who saved them for them they should go beyond the donuts and coupons. I give my tellers donuts just for ordering my boxes and there is no guarantee that I'll find anything. I believe Karma is in effect here.

JRF30..... do you feel., really feel like you did the right thing? never mind what Jim thinks. What does JRF30 think?

Mojo

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I reward my tellers with a genuine smile and a thank-you. I hand out gratuities and bribes for more important matters. But I think it's fine gesture to give a teller coupons,donuts etc. To each his own.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
mojo,

My thought is that I gave the right thing. And for a different reason than others here have given.

The tellers here are not ALLOWED to take gifts. It creates a conflict of interest, and they have been told to reject them. I tried once, to give a teller $100. That was for the 20 Franklin halves that she gave me in January of this year. She said she could get fired if she took it. So I gave her office some pizza on a Friday, and they loved that. "That" they could take. And that is when I came up with the idea of the coupons.

The coupons in question are for a free Chick-Fil-A sandwich. No purchase necassary, no "buy one get one" type deals. Just a free sandwich. I gave her 4 for these dimes. WIth the sandwiches priced at $3.99 each, that is $16 (rounded) in food I gave her. Not a lot, but better than a dozen donuts (In my opinion) and something she could take without getting into trouble for taking money from a client.

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but here MOST tellers are not allowed to take things from clients. And in many banks they are not allowed to even take the silver if they see it. Others DO allow them to take silver, if they slip it out privately from their drawer or from someone else's drawer. That flucuates. But almost none can take a monetary gift. So I would not threaten her job for a $100 bill. yet I give her the coupons and she feels special.

Another way to look at it. She gives me what she finds, because as part of her job she gets that opportunity to do so. I give her what I have, because as part of my job I was given these coupons (By a client for whom I manage money) for my use. We each gave from something we acquired in our line of work. Hers was more valuable than mine, but we each gave based on what we had. And it goes both ways too as to value. In the past, when they gave me a silver dime, I gave (and still give) one or sometimes two coupons for their effort. So I gain $0.90 value in a silver dime and give out $8 in 2 sandwiches. Should I ask for a rebate? I don't think so. I lose on those deals, and gain on this one. And in ALL cases, they are allowed to take my gift, it doesn't get them fired, and they appreciate the gesture. many people would give them nothing, or try to give them a reward and when told they could not then still give them nothing. I found a way to give her something, which is better than nothing, and still does not get her in trouble.

My thougths on it. :-) Never shy to tell you more when you (anyone) asks. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread