My first buffalo and a stubborn wheat variety- $35 in pennies, 1 box of nickels

sir

May 29, 2007
Well yesterdays search was quite exciting.

First off is the box of nickels. At first it seemed there was nothing special, no war nickels or anything of interest other than a 1938 in very good condition. But then i find the Buffalo nickel. What im really surprised about is the fact that this is only my 3rd box. It does not have a date though as do many others but still a great find for me at least.
There was 26 pre 60's.

Then there is the $10 in pennies. The tellers only had $35 yesterday. These were of the white machine roll type.
It yielded 7 wheats oldest being a 1911- it looks as if someone dug it up.

Next is the box of pennies which were of the brown machine roll type. I don't know what company its from and the reason why im talking about the color of the roll is that it seems the white ones do much better. All i can say about the white ones is they come from a company called n.f string and sons. :dontknow: Anybody know what that is.
Well the stubborn variety im talking about is the 1955 s for some reason after going through over half a million in pennies its never showed up and now here it is in mint state.
There was a measly 10 wheats- oldest 1927

Well if my main bank starts to switch over to these brown rolls i don't think im going to see results like before at around 18 wheats a box.

Has anyone here had as much as i have to find a 1955 s?

Also how much does it cost for some nic a date. Is it worth to buy it for one nickel?

Upvote 0

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet you were really happy finding the buffalo, even though it is dateless. My first buffalo was dateless and I was very pleased with the find. Keep hitting boxes of nickels and you'll get some more dateless ones. I think I've got 3 of 'em now. Be careful with whatever you do to try to bring the date out. I tried vinegar overnight on mine, and it really dulled the finish and didn't do much about the date. Still unknown year.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
sir-

nic a date cost about $5 and will last your lifetime.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Hello Sir,
Nic-a-date works great. I had a post on here not to long ago with some pics of nickels I used it on. I have some nic-a-date in stock if you need some. Just PM me and we will go from there. Did you get the nickel book filled yet? Get yourself some nic a date and a book for the buffalos and you can put them in the book as you find them.

Great finds and keep searching,
Jason

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found several 1955S pennies from two boxes and they are all mint state. I think back then a lot of people were collecting pennies and they hoarded 1955s because they knew their lot mintage. This year a lot of people hoard the lincohn pennies. I bet in another 50 years a lot of mint-state 2009 pennies will show up.

OP
OP
sir

sir

May 29, 2007
Re: My first buffalo and a stubborn wheat variety- $35 in pennies, 1 box of nick

Yinzi50 said:
I found several 1955S pennies from two boxes and they are all mint state. I think back then a lot of people were collecting pennies and they hoarded 1955s because they knew their lot mintage.
It actually was widely hoarded i believe because it was to be the last sanfran coin minted for circulation. But as we all know about a decade later it was proven not to be so. When i found that wheat i knew that was the reason why it looked like it was struck yesterday.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
sir said:
All i can say about the white ones is they come from a company called n.f string and sons. :dontknow: Anybody know what that is.

N.F.String and Sons is relly just the company who prints the wrapper, Around here Loomis uses them.

Mojo

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
I used nic-a-date on about 110 nickels and can tell ya the best trick is not to put a drop of it on the coin. Put some on a q-tip and dab it just a little and rub it back and forth. Might have to rinse it off once or twice and it may take just a few minutes longer but it leaves a less corrosive look.

OP
OP
sir

sir

May 29, 2007
Re: My first buffalo and a stubborn wheat variety- $35 in pennies, 1 box of nick

Just got nic a date today. I went to some coin store i once passed by and paid 5 dollars for it, exactly as much tx tim said it would cost. Put it on the nickel and immediately in around 5 seconds the date appears. Turns out it was a 1916, quite old.
The guy who i bought it from also suggested i apply it to the entire front face, to give it an even tone. Has anyone here ever heard this tip? I only applied to the date but the bright spot it left really does stick out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread