What kind of coin machine do you prefer?

nicholaswb

May 6, 2009
Hey guys-
I'll be opening an account at a dump bank in a few months when I turn 18. I have narrowed the possibilities down to two or three banks. All have coin counters, but some are teller-run and some are self-serve. I would like to know what type of machine you guys think is better, because there's an institution I really like but they have teller-run machines. Does it get your tellers angry if they have to run the coin machine for you with your many heavy coins? Should I choose the self-serve machine over the other, unrelated benefits other institutions offer? This may become my primary account, which is why the other benefits matter to me.
Thanks in advance,
Nick

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
The best place to dump your coins is at a free coin counter at a bank that will not sell you the bags. Find a bank that has multiple branches with machines. Best to spread out your dumps.
The worst place to dump your coins is rolled up in large quantities at a bank. Plenty of good producing banks have been ruined by inconsiderate people who dump whereever they can.

OP
OP
N

nicholaswb

May 6, 2009
Thanks Guys!
Your comments and the landslide results are helping make my choice a lot easier. :wink: When I finally open the account, I will tell you all what my decision is, as I'm still not 100% sure where I want to join.

HH,
Nick

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I prefer the last option but only one where you can roll in 5k in coin in bags at a time and have them deposited within the hour into your account and spend less than five minutes in there. Find one of these and you have hit the holy grail! You do have to trust that they won't mess up your count or steal from your bags but keep the tear tag from each bag as proof it is yours and write your account number on it. Just think of yourself as small business owner making a daily deposit.

I do this at my dump bank and have had over $500,000 in deposits this year and never been shorted. Just order your boxes from banks that use different coin distributors or you will be dealing with your own dumps. The one problem here is if you start getting into big numbers the coins will end back at the Fed. They will inevitably end up at your source bank because you will clean them out of coins, thus you will start drawing on your dumps as there are only so many halves in an area.

Maine_Jim

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Not only do I like coin counters the best, I like the ones that don't use bags. Nothing worse than having to get a teller to come change a bag in the middle of a dump. They really hate to be bothered when it is busy in the bank.
I like the counters that dump all the coins into a large storage bin. I can dump a couple thousand at a time and stay under the radar.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Just open up a few accounts at different banks. That way you can spread your dumps around, and see how things work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions