A few questions from a newbie...

peanuttom

Oct 4, 2009
I've been lurking a little over a month after I found this site from a link on SurvivalBlog.com. Been hunting and found a few things that I'm not sure what they are. (Sorry no pics, will have to work on that later.)

I'm doing halves exclusively and have found a few that are different. Shiny coins with a matte finish on the raised portions.

Also found a 1971d that is so shiny it looks like it's been chromed. Not just brilliant shiny, but see your reflection in the bumper shiny!

And finally, a 1979 that appears to be 90% silver. Is there such a beast? The edged jumped out at me when I opened the roll, and I was stumped when I saw the date on it.

Happy to be here, and loving my new hobby! Any ideas on my finds? Also, are the post 2001 coins worth saving?

Upvote 0

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Hello and welcome to the forum.
As for the 1971D it has probably been polished. That would explain the mirror finish.

As for the 1979, there is no reported silver halves for that year. Sometimes the copper center doesnt apper on the rim, what you are seeing in the nickel edge showing.

Good Luck,
Jason

OP
OP
P

peanuttom

Oct 4, 2009
The 1979 looks like a clean '64. Same dull metallic finish. Some pinkish toning. I also found a commemorative half in the same box, but it looks like it had been run over in a gravel parking lot. :(

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
peanuttom said:
The 1979 looks like a clean '64. Same dull metallic finish. Some pinkish toning. I also found a commemorative half in the same box, but it looks like it had been run over in a gravel parking lot. :(

I am really sure the 1979 is not silver. It could be a wrong planchett error but VERY, VERY unlikely, if it was you would be a very rich person now. The other way to tell if it is silver is to weigh it. the silver half will be 12.5 grams and the clad half which is more than likely what you have will weigh 11.34 grams. also flip it with your finger or drop it on the table and compare to silver and clad hlaves, the silver will have a very distint high PING sound.

Hope this helps,
Jason

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
peanuttom said:
1)Shiny coins with a matte finish on the raised portions.
2)Also found a 1971d that is so shiny it looks like it's been chromed.
3)And finally, a 1979 that appears to be 90% silver. Is there such a beast?
4)Also, are the post 2001 coins worth saving?

1) = Proof, look for S mintmark
2) Probably is.
3) Mint Mark?
4) Only if you have cash to tie up.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread