mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. Since that great box a couple months back, my Brinks boxes have not produced much. I picked up a box from a bank that normally supplies the yellow wrapper boxes but got a brinks box instead. Found 32 Silvers in it and a couple of nice proofs including a 57 Ben. It looks a lot better then the photo. Can't imagine though why someone would break up a 1957 proof set for face value. HH-MM2

Attachments

• DSCN3233.JPG
    DSCN3233.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 373
Upvote 0

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben proof is very nice. I found two (57 and 62) from customer rolls.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice on the proof.

My question is. Is it difficult to identify a Ben Proof. I mean with the amount if time passed
does it still look like a proof?

DW

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darth Walker said:
Nice on the proof.

My question is. Is it difficult to identify a Ben Proof. I mean with the amount if time passed

DW
Thanks all, this one still has the mirror finish. It stands right out from a regular ben.

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mistergee said:
did they make proof Walkers? i know i have one thats proof shiney with no mint mark.
jI've never found one but they had proof sets back to 1936.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Darth Walker said:

DW

Yes, the older they are the tougher it may be to determine if it is a proof or not. Usually, I'll notice some part of the background, even close to the edge or in between the letters,may still have that mirrored finish. It will generally be in better condition than an (always) circulated coin and, in the case of Franklins, need to be from the Philly Mint (no mintmark).

mistergee said:
did they make proof Walkers? i know i have one thats proof shiney with no mint mark.

See above. If the whole coin seems (unnaturally) shiny, versus just the background, it's not likely a proof. Walkers have been often coated in substances (for some reason) and it makes the entire coin the same degree of "shininess"; versus the mirrored background and white frosted foreground (the raised items on the coin) of a true proof coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread