Florida Panhandle Silver report

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back off vacation in the panhandle of Florida (redneck rivera) and had a chance to stop in on some banks in the area. Most banks I went to were empty, usually giving me the line, "There is some guy that comes here every Tuesday and gets all of our half’s" or "We sold all of ours yesterday" but I fought on. Was turned down at one credit union for not being a member (had $50 worth in the vault) and had one credit union bend over backwards to get me half’s. Ended up with $100 from that CU which netted me a nice haul. Picked up a bag (cloth bag, been wanting one of these to haul my coins around in) and figured it was a dump. Searched $979 dollars worth and found 2 so at least didn’t get skunked there. Found a Wachovia there which had the lobby closed but drive through open. Asked about half’s, said they had $10 worth. Then out of the corner of my eye I see a teller hold up another roll. I asked if they had more and the teller told me they had $1000 in the vault, which they were waiting to send out. Picked those up. While the hesitant teller was doing the transaction, she mentions that these have been sorted through and have dates written on the wrappers. It was quite a sight having $1000 go through the drive through. Drove over to the adjacent parking lot and reached in the bag. First roll I pull out has 1968 written on the wrapper. Got so excited I ripped into the bag and started looking at the others. Ninety-nine other wrappers with various dates written on them but nothing lower than 1971. But ended up with the full roll of 68’s, which helped my totals. For the life of me I dont know why anyone would sort clad halfs into wrappers by date.
Drove back home today and stopped at a few banks in some small rural towns. Ended up with 3 of my 64's from one of those banks.

Overall not a bad haul, but I am sure I would have racked up a lot more if I had more time to search.

So here are the totals from my several afternoons of work.

69 - 4
68 - 29
67 - 10
66 - 5
65 - 1
64 - 4

Attached a few pictures... Thanks for checking out my report.

Attachments

• 1968 wrapper.jpg
    1968 wrapper.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 245
  • totals.jpg
    totals.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 1968 wrappercoins.jpg
    1968 wrappercoins.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 240
Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Great road trip and pictures :thumbsup: I had the exact same thing happen to me last winter. The teller tells me that I won't find any silver because the rolls are dated, as so they were, but one was dated 64-68, and was solid.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some amateur collectors will get halves and Ikes every time they go to bank. They are not silver hoarders but they may or may not sort their coins; When the time gets tough, they cash out all their coins. It's kind of a hobby/saving thing. Silver ratio in these rolls are just the same as those rolled by bank tellers who are not silver hoarders.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread