Penny Miser Copper Coin Sorter

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Nice concept! Thing is it doesn't look nearly as fast as a ryedale, and aren't these machines used for speed? Cool idea! Even cooler if it would go faster! :headbang: :headbang:

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Super slow. It is faster than by hand, but doesn' tlook like it is much faster. PLus putting them in looks like you wil have to do it carefully, ot stack them in the tube.

I think the Ryedale does the job much better than this looks like it does it.

IMHO

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat machine. Funny thing, I picked out every copper cent just by looks, although I think my eyes would bug out in short order.

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
Considering the Penny Miser is around a tenth the cost of the other coin sorters.... I think I can put up with it being a little slower.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
placerman said:
Considering the Penny Miser is around a tenth the cost of the other coin sorters.... I think I can put up with it being a little slower.

If it were a little slower, I could see that. But I think in the time that it takes to do $1, the Ryedale will do $5. And the way the miser seems to need to be fed, in that tube, versus dumping in the top of the Ryedale as you hvae to coins, also seems a major difference.

I think the Ryedale pays for itself about every 4 weeks for me. Nothing else I hvae does that. :-)

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what the technology is that sorts the copper from the zinc with this thing? I have seen mention on other sites that you can build your own. I looks like a fairly simple design, just what do you use that can sort out the two?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
AGCoinHunter said:
Does anyone know what the technology is that sorts the copper from the zinc with this thing? I have seen mention on other sites that you can build your own. I looks like a fairly simple design, just what do you use that can sort out the two?

Eyeballs? Seriously. I can spot copper from the zinc without looking at the dates when I search a box. Of course, a Ryedale is required if you want to search like S-N-B.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
AGCoinHunter said:

The Ryedale works with the same design as a metal detector mentality. Just like my White's can tell me the difference between a dime and a penny while it is still underground, based on the way the metals react and form their aura, the Ryedale does the same thing. It looks for whatever you put in the "desired" slot. So if you put a copper penny in there, it looks for copper. Everything that is not copper goes to the other side. Not the "zinc" side really, but the "other" side. So, war pennies of steel would go to the other/zinc side, because they are not Copper. And some older copper pennies (1940 or earlier) are inconsistent in their metal ratios and kick to the other side too. So when I use my machine, I keep my eyes on the "other" side, not the copper side. This way I see the older copper pennies that go to that side in error. All my indian head's have gone to that side. I look at the copper side AFTER I am done, so I can separate my wheats from the memorials before I sell off the copper.

That's how it works. Based on the signal it receives from the coin saying whether it is the desired copper element or not.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
The Ryedale WILL sort silver dimes. It is not effective only because there are so FEW of them in any batch that it is not worth it. But if you put a silver dime int he desired slot and then loaded dimes, it would kick out everything except the silver dimes it encountered.

So it does the work. But it is not worth it with such a low ratio.

:-(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread