HELP! In No. Cal looking for coins.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Hey there CC Some banks will have halves and some will not. They most likely wont be in a box unless somebody has dumped coins that they already searched. Some banks however do order halves just to keep them on hand for customers. This is few and far between. The best way is to order. If halves don't work then do dimes. Welcome and good luck.

Golden Silver

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with golden silver. All you can do is go around and ask. I'm in a large metropolitan area so it's pretty easy for me to hit 30 banks in a couple hours if I wanted to. I prefer to order boxes though. Every now and then I when i'm in a different area I will go in and ask for halves. In my own personal experience, when you get the halves that have been brought in by customers, you have a better chance of finding a really good roll/s. You could try calling around to different banks but you always run the risk of a lazy teller answering the phone and giving the standard "no" because they are so "uncommon" (for lack of a better word) as far as their circulation goes. Believe it or not i've ran across a teller or two that didn't even know what a half looks like when i've brought in a bunch of rolls to dump. They've made stupid comments like "oh boy these are old huh?" or "why would you want to get rid of these, they're collectible?" Yes, these were actual comments made by people handling our money in our financial institutions. And they're getting dumber by the day.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Where about in No Cal are you? Finding boxes in vaults are tough and when you do more often then not they are dumps.

65GT350

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am lucky if my bank keeps any in the vault at all

DW

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only box I have ever found in a vault was recently. When I asked about it the teller told me some guy orders boxes and then brings them back in the box with original wrappers folded over. I proceeded to skip this box. Went to another bank next to this one and found $50 more of his re-wrapped rolls.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Call around different banks and ask if they have any halves in their vault. Some do save up until they get a decent amount to ship them out. When I first started.. I asked my BofA if they had any halves.. they said they had $150 worth saved up. I remember I searched the lot & got a holed Franklin. I would call ones that have a higher traffic of people like banks in downtown places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread