Coin Show on TV. I call BS

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK guys, I was watching a coin show the other day

They were offering the following at the following prices and the coin guy was stating and stating what of a great deal was to acquire the coins at the price listed there.

Some of the coins were:

NGC Proof 67 Silver Franklin Halve Dollars 1960 to 1963 at $49.00 each
PCGS Proof 67 Kennedy Halve Dollars 1964 Accent Hair Variety at $159 each.

I am sure that if I buy one of this at this supposedly great price and then the very next day
I try to sell it to my coin dealer I will loose money on it.

What do you all think?

Darth Walker

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was this the home shopping network?

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The show is Art and Coin TV Show with Jimmy Gerstel
but I think is the same for all coin shows

DW

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
For Christmas last year my mother bought me a Morgan set. She paid $100+ for the first year and last year in circulated condition. I told her nicely that I could go across the street from my house and buy em for $10 a pop. So she returned them for the sake of saving money. Might as well buy some state quarters why your at it.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
A proof 67 PCGS heavily accented hair Kennedy would very tempting. Coin collecting isn't about flipping the coins for profit. It is a little overpriced, but tell me when have you encountered a proof 67 PCGS heavily accented hair Kennedy in store inventory? I attend about 10 coin shows a year (large ones including FUN in Orlando). Never have seen one. Jimmy Gerstel should not be lumped together with the other coin show scammers. Jimmy knows what he is talking about and does indeed get quality coins that aren't found in other places. HSN and the others could never find Morgans from the Redfield hoard, yet Jimmy gets them from time to time. Good luck trying to buy state quarters from Jimmy. He just doesn't deal in those coins. He is above that. Annoying as he is and overpriced on some items, he does indeed deliver the goods that others could only dream of.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Diver_Down said:
A proof 67 PCGS heavily accented hair Kennedy would very tempting. Coin collecting isn't about flipping the coins for profit. It is a little overpriced, but tell me when have you encountered a proof 67 PCGS heavily accented hair Kennedy in store inventory? I attend about 10 coin shows a year (large ones including FUN in Orlando). Never have seen one. Jimmy Gerstel should not be lumped together with the other coin show scammers. Jimmy knows what he is talking about and does indeed get quality coins that aren't found in other places. HSN and the others could never find Morgans from the Redfield hoard, yet Jimmy gets them from time to time. Good luck trying to buy state quarters from Jimmy. He just doesn't deal in those coins. He is above that. Annoying as he is and overpriced on some items, he does indeed deliver the goods that others could only dream of.

FYI.....

There's no such thing as a proof '67. For '65 - '67, the Mint produced Special Mint Sets: which contained specially prepared coins that were not quite up to Proof standards.

The heavily accented hair variety of Kennedy only existed for the '64 proof.

In general, those TV Coin Shows are serious rip-offs; preying on the old and/or uninformed. IMHO

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Proof 67 is the grade PCGS/NGC gave the coins, not the coin year. He stated the years as 1964 for the accented hair Kennedy and 1960-1963 for the Proof 67 Franklins. The coins on these shows are normally priced on the high side to being outright ripoffs. I have sat with a Redbook and compared their prices to the book values and there usually a big difference. They also way overstate the rarity of the coins they are selling.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
thurmownator said:
Diver_Down said:

FYI.....

There's no such thing as a proof '67. For '65 - '67, the Mint produced Special Mint Sets: which contained specially prepared coins that were not quite up to Proof standards.

In general, those TV Coin Shows are serious rip-offs; preying on the old and/or uninformed. IMHO

Ironic, how you accuse one of being uninformed when I clearly mentioned the grade. :thumbsup:

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Walked into a Pawn Shop they had highly circulated %90 Franklins & 64 Kennedy's for sale for the steal price of $15 apiece this week.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Diver_Down said:
thurmownator said:
Diver_Down said:

FYI.....

Ironic, how you accuse one of being uninformed when I clearly mentioned the grade. :thumbsup:

My bad, misread your use of "proof".

Stand behind my coin show comment, though. 8)

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Just browsing the Numismatic News latest issue and came across an advertisement for a PCGS Proof-65 1964 Kennedy with accented hair for $100. I'm not aware of the population numbers of Proof-67, but a $50 increase doesn't seem unreasonable. It might be slightly overpriced, but again you don't see a PCGS PR-67 Heavily Accented Hair 64 Kennedy everyday.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't trust anyone
Who sells On TV

They Need to Pay to sell on TV
& In some cases like HSN
it appears they need to
Split the Proceeds

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Checking the same advertisement for the Franklin Halves:
(Top three graded by PCGS; Bottom two graded by NGC)

1960 PR-67 $140
1961 PR-67 $450
1962 PR-65 $45
1962 PR-68 $50
1963 PR-68 $50

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
jeff of pa said:
I wouldn't trust anyone
Who sells On TV

They Need to Pay to sell on TV
& In some cases like HSN
it appears they need to
Split the Proceeds

The point I was trying to make that Jimmy Gerstel should not be lumped into the same pot as the other sellers on TV. Jimmy won't deal with the common coins and really does get high-end quality coins. He might be slightly overpriced, but again he delivers the goods. Walking the bourse floor of the FUN convention in Orlando with over 600 dealers, I could count the number of Redfield Morgans available for sale on one hand. Jimmy offers them every few months. The man knows his coins and actually is quite respected in the coin collecting community. The "Others" are a joke. I was channel surfing and stopped for a moment at the HSN pimping coins. The two men didn't know the difference between Obverse and Reverse. Steer clear of those types.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
anybody seen that robert chambers character? this guy is funny. with his "fi-nite" supply and "order now" pitches. i would never buy from him but he is entertaining.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
robert chambers and paul hollis used to do the "coin vault" on shop at home. i used to watch it twice a week when i lived out in the country and did not have cable tv. the show came on dish network. i heard that robert chambers is on the show coin country now and took the place of john binns. i sure wish i knew the paul harvey on that arrangement. i liked john binns. he was the first to sell coins on a tv network. he was goofy and kind of a hillbilly type but he was easier to watch than chambers. chambers gets to yelling and just has one of those voices that gets old after about 10 minutes. he was on the coin vault with paul hollis. i think paul hollis is running a coin shop in louisiana now. i dont know who is on coin country with chambers now because i now live in the city and have cable tv and cant get the show anymore

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
I had to look this one up in the redbook the highest grade goes up to pr65 for proof so apparently this one is better than perfect and is worth more. 64 kennedy on shows 35.00 in perfect grade. I personally think anything higher on grading than what the redbook shows is BS game to sells coins for more profit. It comes down to opinion on the luster if it is flawless with no nicks or marks its going to get graded higher. But what constitutes that? who can in their profession can constitute that? and is it legite?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Jimmy@romega said:
I had to look this one up in the redbook the highest grade goes up to pr65 for proof so apparently this one is better than perfect and is worth more. 64 kennedy on shows 35.00 in perfect grade. I personally think anything higher on grading than what the redbook shows is BS game to sells coins for more profit. It comes down to opinion on the luster if it is flawless with no nicks or marks its going to get graded higher. But what constitutes that? who can in their profession can constitute that? and is it legite?

The highest grade on the proof scale is PF-70. Just because the Redbook lists the price for a PF-65 Kennedy 1964 accented hair, does not mean that a higher grade does not exist.

If you really want to know what has been graded, you will need to check the population reports for the various grading services.

Jim

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Jimmy@romega said:

I'm by no means an expert, but I can tell the difference between a PR-65 and a PR-70. If you are interested in learning the differences, assemble a grading set of the varying grades and compare them side by side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread