Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1

    Jan 2009
    983
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    OK guys, I was watching a coin show the other day

    They were offering the following at the following prices and the coin guy was stating and stating what of a great deal was to acquire the coins at the price listed there.

    Some of the coins were:

    NGC Proof 67 Silver Franklin Halve Dollars 1960 to 1963 at $49.00 each
    PCGS Proof 67 Kennedy Halve Dollars 1964 Accent Hair Variety at $159 each.

    I am sure that if I buy one of this at this supposedly great price and then the very next day
    I try to sell it to my coin dealer I will loose money on it.

    What do you all think?

    Darth Walker
    2012 Finds
    Kenns40%   5
    Kenns90%   0
    Benns         0
    Walkers       0

  2. # ADS
    Ads

    TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

  3. #2
    us
    Aug 2009
    ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
    2,074
    10 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    Was this the home shopping network?
    There is no silver left around here...

  4. #3

    Jan 2009
    983
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    The show is Art and Coin TV Show with Jimmy Gerstel
    but I think is the same for all coin shows

    DW
    2012 Finds
    Kenns40%   5
    Kenns90%   0
    Benns         0
    Walkers       0

  5. #4

    Feb 2007
    The Lone Star State
    ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
    639
    11 times

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    For Christmas last year my mother bought me a Morgan set. She paid $100+ for the first year and last year in circulated condition. I told her nicely that I could go across the street from my house and buy em for $10 a pop. So she returned them for the sake of saving money. Might as well buy some state quarters why your at it.
    CRH Totals
    Wheats 247
    Buffalo 6
    War Nic 6
    Merc 0
    Rosie 9
    Quarter
    Walking 15
    Franklin 27
    90% 82
    40% 501
    Proofs:24
    Boxes searched: 193
    Skunks:71

  6. #5
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    3,245
    714 times

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    A proof 67 PCGS heavily accented hair Kennedy would very tempting. Coin collecting isn't about flipping the coins for profit. It is a little overpriced, but tell me when have you encountered a proof 67 PCGS heavily accented hair Kennedy in store inventory? I attend about 10 coin shows a year (large ones including FUN in Orlando). Never have seen one. Jimmy Gerstel should not be lumped together with the other coin show scammers. Jimmy knows what he is talking about and does indeed get quality coins that aren't found in other places. HSN and the others could never find Morgans from the Redfield hoard, yet Jimmy gets them from time to time. Good luck trying to buy state quarters from Jimmy. He just doesn't deal in those coins. He is above that. Annoying as he is and overpriced on some items, he does indeed deliver the goods that others could only dream of.

  7. #6

    Dec 2006
    1,811
    2 times

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver_Down
    A proof 67 PCGS heavily accented hair Kennedy would very tempting. Coin collecting isn't about flipping the coins for profit. It is a little overpriced, but tell me when have you encountered a proof 67 PCGS heavily accented hair Kennedy in store inventory? I attend about 10 coin shows a year (large ones including FUN in Orlando). Never have seen one. Jimmy Gerstel should not be lumped together with the other coin show scammers. Jimmy knows what he is talking about and does indeed get quality coins that aren't found in other places. HSN and the others could never find Morgans from the Redfield hoard, yet Jimmy gets them from time to time. Good luck trying to buy state quarters from Jimmy. He just doesn't deal in those coins. He is above that. Annoying as he is and overpriced on some items, he does indeed deliver the goods that others could only dream of.
    FYI.....

    There's no such thing as a proof '67. For '65 - '67, the Mint produced Special Mint Sets: which contained specially prepared coins that were not quite up to Proof standards.

    The heavily accented hair variety of Kennedy only existed for the '64 proof.

    In general, those TV Coin Shows are serious rip-offs; preying on the old and/or uninformed. IMHO

    "You can't win if you don't play"

    "Behind every dark cloud is a silver lining"

    "If you're prone to motion sickness, this "roller coaster" hobby may not be for you "

  8. #7
    us
    Feb 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Whites XLT
    500
    11 times

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    Proof 67 is the grade PCGS/NGC gave the coins, not the coin year. He stated the years as 1964 for the accented hair Kennedy and 1960-1963 for the Proof 67 Franklins. The coins on these shows are normally priced on the high side to being outright ripoffs. I have sat with a Redbook and compared their prices to the book values and there usually a big difference. They also way overstate the rarity of the coins they are selling.

  9. #8
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    3,245
    714 times

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    Quote Originally Posted by thurmownator
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver_Down
    A proof 67 PCGS heavily accented hair Kennedy would very tempting. Coin collecting isn't about flipping the coins for profit. It is a little overpriced, but tell me when have you encountered a proof 67 PCGS heavily accented hair Kennedy in store inventory? I attend about 10 coin shows a year (large ones including FUN in Orlando). Never have seen one. Jimmy Gerstel should not be lumped together with the other coin show scammers. Jimmy knows what he is talking about and does indeed get quality coins that aren't found in other places. HSN and the others could never find Morgans from the Redfield hoard, yet Jimmy gets them from time to time. Good luck trying to buy state quarters from Jimmy. He just doesn't deal in those coins. He is above that. Annoying as he is and overpriced on some items, he does indeed deliver the goods that others could only dream of.
    FYI.....

    There's no such thing as a proof '67. For '65 - '67, the Mint produced Special Mint Sets: which contained specially prepared coins that were not quite up to Proof standards.

    The heavily accented hair variety of Kennedy only existed for the '64 proof.

    In general, those TV Coin Shows are serious rip-offs; preying on the old and/or uninformed. IMHO

    Ironic, how you accuse one of being uninformed when I clearly mentioned the grade.

  10. #9
    us
    Apr 2009
    Clarksville TN.
    Minelab SE Pro
    1,774

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS



    Walked into a Pawn Shop they had highly circulated %90 Franklins & 64 Kennedy's for sale for the steal price of $15 apiece this week.

  11. #10

    Dec 2006
    1,811
    2 times

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver_Down
    Quote Originally Posted by thurmownator
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver_Down
    A proof 67 PCGS heavily accented hair Kennedy would very tempting. Coin collecting isn't about flipping the coins for profit. It is a little overpriced, but tell me when have you encountered a proof 67 PCGS heavily accented hair Kennedy in store inventory? I attend about 10 coin shows a year (large ones including FUN in Orlando). Never have seen one. Jimmy Gerstel should not be lumped together with the other coin show scammers. Jimmy knows what he is talking about and does indeed get quality coins that aren't found in other places. HSN and the others could never find Morgans from the Redfield hoard, yet Jimmy gets them from time to time. Good luck trying to buy state quarters from Jimmy. He just doesn't deal in those coins. He is above that. Annoying as he is and overpriced on some items, he does indeed deliver the goods that others could only dream of.
    FYI.....

    There's no such thing as a proof '67. For '65 - '67, the Mint produced Special Mint Sets: which contained specially prepared coins that were not quite up to Proof standards.

    The heavily accented hair variety of Kennedy only existed for the '64 proof.

    In general, those TV Coin Shows are serious rip-offs; preying on the old and/or uninformed. IMHO

    Ironic, how you accuse one of being uninformed when I clearly mentioned the grade.
    My bad, misread your use of "proof".

    Stand behind my coin show comment, though. 8)
    "You can't win if you don't play"

    "Behind every dark cloud is a silver lining"

    "If you're prone to motion sickness, this "roller coaster" hobby may not be for you "

  12. #11
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    3,245
    714 times

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    Just browsing the Numismatic News latest issue and came across an advertisement for a PCGS Proof-65 1964 Kennedy with accented hair for $100. I'm not aware of the population numbers of Proof-67, but a $50 increase doesn't seem unreasonable. It might be slightly overpriced, but again you don't see a PCGS PR-67 Heavily Accented Hair 64 Kennedy everyday.

  13. #12
    Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

    Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    45,283
    4620 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    I wouldn't trust anyone
    Who sells On TV

    They Need to Pay to sell on TV
    & In some cases like HSN
    it appears they need to
    Split the Proceeds

  14. #13
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    3,245
    714 times

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    Checking the same advertisement for the Franklin Halves:
    (Top three graded by PCGS; Bottom two graded by NGC)

    1960 PR-67 $140
    1961 PR-67 $450
    1962 PR-65 $45
    1962 PR-68 $50
    1963 PR-68 $50

  15. #14
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    3,245
    714 times

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa
    I wouldn't trust anyone
    Who sells On TV

    They Need to Pay to sell on TV
    & In some cases like HSN
    it appears they need to
    Split the Proceeds
    The point I was trying to make that Jimmy Gerstel should not be lumped into the same pot as the other sellers on TV. Jimmy won't deal with the common coins and really does get high-end quality coins. He might be slightly overpriced, but again he delivers the goods. Walking the bourse floor of the FUN convention in Orlando with over 600 dealers, I could count the number of Redfield Morgans available for sale on one hand. Jimmy offers them every few months. The man knows his coins and actually is quite respected in the coin collecting community. The "Others" are a joke. I was channel surfing and stopped for a moment at the HSN pimping coins. The two men didn't know the difference between Obverse and Reverse. Steer clear of those types.

  16. #15
    us
    Dec 2008
    VALLEY ALABAMA
    GARRETT GTA 500
    3,650
    1 times

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    anybody seen that robert chambers character? this guy is funny. with his "fi-nite" supply and "order now" pitches. i would never buy from him but he is entertaining.
    STRIPPING SILVER OUT OF BANKS AT FACE

  17. #16
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    3,245
    714 times

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    Who does Robert Chambers pimp for? Some are indeed comic gold.

  18. #17
    us
    Dec 2008
    VALLEY ALABAMA
    GARRETT GTA 500
    3,650
    1 times

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    robert chambers and paul hollis used to do the "coin vault" on shop at home. i used to watch it twice a week when i lived out in the country and did not have cable tv. the show came on dish network. i heard that robert chambers is on the show coin country now and took the place of john binns. i sure wish i knew the paul harvey on that arrangement. i liked john binns. he was the first to sell coins on a tv network. he was goofy and kind of a hillbilly type but he was easier to watch than chambers. chambers gets to yelling and just has one of those voices that gets old after about 10 minutes. he was on the coin vault with paul hollis. i think paul hollis is running a coin shop in louisiana now. i dont know who is on coin country with chambers now because i now live in the city and have cable tv and cant get the show anymore
    STRIPPING SILVER OUT OF BANKS AT FACE

  19. #18
    us
    Dec 2008
    rome, ga
    241

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    I had to look this one up in the redbook the highest grade goes up to pr65 for proof so apparently this one is better than perfect and is worth more. 64 kennedy on shows 35.00 in perfect grade. I personally think anything higher on grading than what the redbook shows is BS game to sells coins for more profit. It comes down to opinion on the luster if it is flawless with no nicks or marks its going to get graded higher. But what constitutes that? who can in their profession can constitute that? and is it legite?


  20. #19

    Apr 2008
    3,041
    135 times

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy@romega
    I had to look this one up in the redbook the highest grade goes up to pr65 for proof so apparently this one is better than perfect and is worth more. 64 kennedy on shows 35.00 in perfect grade. I personally think anything higher on grading than what the redbook shows is BS game to sells coins for more profit. It comes down to opinion on the luster if it is flawless with no nicks or marks its going to get graded higher. But what constitutes that? who can in their profession can constitute that? and is it legite?


    The highest grade on the proof scale is PF-70. Just because the Redbook lists the price for a PF-65 Kennedy 1964 accented hair, does not mean that a higher grade does not exist.

    If you really want to know what has been graded, you will need to check the population reports for the various grading services.

    Jim
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford

  21. #20
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    3,245
    714 times

    Re: Coin Show on TV. I call BS

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy@romega
    I had to look this one up in the redbook the highest grade goes up to pr65 for proof so apparently this one is better than perfect and is worth more. 64 kennedy on shows 35.00 in perfect grade. I personally think anything higher on grading than what the redbook shows is BS game to sells coins for more profit. It comes down to opinion on the luster if it is flawless with no nicks or marks its going to get graded higher. But what constitutes that? who can in their profession can constitute that? and is it legite?

    I'm by no means an expert, but I can tell the difference between a PR-65 and a PR-70. If you are interested in learning the differences, assemble a grading set of the varying grades and compare them side by side.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

art and coin tv
,

art and coin tv complaints

,

art and coin tv reviews

,
art and coin tv scam
,
artandcointv complaints
,
coin shows on tv
,
coin vault complaints
,
john binns coin show
,
the coin vault reviews
,
tv coin shows
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3