Todays.....

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Today's.....

Today I wake up early in anticipation of the day's activities. I'm up at 5 am chomping at the bit because I have lot's to do. As soon as the doors open I am the bank to order my 10 boxes of halves. The teller tells me I can only order 4. I haven't ordered in a while, and usually order 4-6, but once ordered 8 with no problem. Oh well, on to the next one.
I go to the last bank where I can actually get a bag of halves. Can only get them once every 4-5 weeks and it's never a full bag, but it always produces. Teller told me today that I can't get the bag anymore. No, big deal,and I'm off and running. So I make a run to a bank that always has rolls they save for me. Nothing great, but I usually get a couple of keepers. The teller says they shipped them all off about ten minutes ago.
I didn't want to ask how many rolls got flushed, because I could feel that edge coming on. I have $ 1500.00 to dump so off I go to take care of that at two banks.
I stop at the first dump bank, which is part of a chain of banks, each of which I share my dumps at. All the tellers are nice but at this one they are politely nosy as to where I get the coin. I give them a plausible B.S story. There is one older lady at the bank who's always eyeing me suspiciously. I don't really have the time to wonder what's on her mind and really don't care. When I cash out at this chain of banks, I turn in the coin machine receipt, get my money and leave. Anyway at this branch there is an added feature. The teller looks around for a card, hand writes something, and then enters it into the computer. I got very tempted to ask her what's up with the card.
On the way to my next dump bank I stop at a bank that is hidden from the world. I must have bypassed this place a hundred times. I found it with the GPS a month ago and when I asked the teller for halves, she hands me about $7.50 in 90's and says there some nice silver ones in there. Well when I stop there today. The very nice teller tells me she was holding on to some nice ones but turned them just 10 MINUTES AGO!
I stop at my next dump bank carrying a plastic coffee can that hold $500.00 in quarters. The top flips off and the quarters spill all over the parking lot. Two of the quarters landed dead smack in the center of a disgusting hawker.Looked like the person who let go of that morning butterfly had TB. I left them for some lucky person to find.
Needless to say, at this point I'm not in a great mood. So I take off to hit a few ghetto banks. Maybe I'll score. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will eff with me. Couldn't get a single half. Even the winos, junkies, and panhandlers didn't ask me for coin.
So I'm figuring, today is not my day, and called it a day

Upvote 0

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Today's.....

You have a very good way of telling the story.

A better day will come tomorrow

Darth Walker

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Geez. That sucks. So the $7.50 in "90's" that you got were from the 1990's and not 90%ers I guess. Sorry to hear about your bad day.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max

Well, Rich, at least you got rid of your dumps. I get the same question a lot... Where do you get all those half dollars ? I usually just say, "Anywhere I can" and let it go at that, adding, I'm a half collector but don't know what the other half is. And then I try to change the subject. Works most of the time. Sorry about the bad day but keep the old chin up. HH

FL Junkman

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

It was certainly a bad day but they make the good days all the better. Thinking back, I knew it was only a matter of time before I dropped a bucket of coin. Should have checked that lid !

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Blue and Gray, XLT, DFX, Spectrum V3, Beachhunter 300

I think i would have had to have asked whatthe card was for. They have started to track ammunition sales in my state like that now. There is no law, it is voluntary on the part of the seller, but the State Police have strong armed them in refusing to sell to people who dont allow the sale to be logged. I buy everythign on the internet now. Its not that I am doing anything wrong, it is just principal. I wonder how long it will be untill I get a visit about my coin handling. I notice when I dump in the machine at the new bank that they have to deposit it, then take it back out to pay me the cash. I assume this is to leave a paper trail behind of my activities?

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea they always want my account number. I only go to the ones now that dont ask. A few tellers know me know and never ask for it.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will eff with me.
HA HA....you sound like me on a bad day. reminds me of one in particular. got up with a BIG chip on my shoulder. i remember thinking " i feel sorry for anyone who messes with me today" then i look in the rear view and this guy is so far up my butt he looks like he's sitting in my back seat. now mind you its like 5:30 in the morning and there's noone around and there are 3 lanes. instead of taking one of the empty lanes and go around me he decides he's going to make me move over. NOT! i hit the brake to back him off but he continues to ride my tail. i snapped. i slammed on the brakes and got out in the middle of the road. as i grab the handle he locks the door. i'm screamin at him to open the door and get out. all the while he's crappin his pants. i must have looked like a nut. looking back i'm glad he locked his door because everything happened so fast and i was so mad that i probably would have hurt him pretty bad (i used to box and i was in a gang when i was a teenager so fighting was pretty much a daily thing) then i would have been arrested and probably fired because i was in my Municipal vehicle. so much for professionalism huh? anyway now when i'm in one of those moods i think back to that day and try to just let things go. not good for the ulcer but sure beats jail time with no job.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

Wow Mistergee would have never guessed by looking at your pictures that you could be the angry road rage type. Hope I am never on the recieving end.

Golden Silver

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

mistergee said:
Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will eff with me.
i hit the brake to back him off but he continues to ride my tail. i snapped. i slammed on the brakes and got out in the middle of the road. as i grab the handle he locks the door. i'm screamin at him to open the door and get out. all the while he's crappin his pants. i must have looked like a nut.

I wouldn't be bragging about this type of stunt. In my state concealed carry is legal with permit, and even without a permit an adult can carry a handgun in their vehicle.

You try something like that here and there is a decent chance you will wind up wondering why there is a 9mm hole in your forehead.

For the record, I HATE tailgating a$$hats too, but there is NEVER a reason to exit your vehicle in this type of situation.

Jim

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

Jim always the blunt voice of reason. I will agree however that now a days you just never know who is packin and will shoot you dead for a stick of gum much less road rage. :cussing: :cussing:

Golden Silver

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

I wouldn't be bragging about this type of stunt. In my state concealed carry is legal with permit, and even without a permit an adult can carry a handgun in their vehicle.

You try something like that here and there is a decent chance you will wind up wondering why there is a 9mm hole in your forehead.

For the record, I HATE tailgating a$$hats too, but there is NEVER a reason to exit your vehicle in this type of situation.
Jim, this was many years ago (around 20) and we didn't have as many people armed as we do nowadays. i'm pretty sure we didn't have the concealed carry law at that time , but that doesn't mean he couldn't have had one. and i wasn't bragging, i was just relating something stupid that i did as a young man and how i was lucky it didn't turn out worse. today i'm alot mellower (and way outta shape) and i don't have a quick temper anymore. i can't agree with you more that today i probably woulda been shot. hell today just giving someone the finger will get you shot. matter of fact in the last 26 years of working in the worst neighborhoods in Philly i have been shot at twice. actually they were shooting at my city vehicle. dunno why , i guess trying to get even for something. even saw them shooting at the mailman once from a high rise housing project. most of the schools i work in have bullet holes in them too. it is certainly a different world today.

myprecious

Aug 2, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites BHID 300 / Bounty Hunter IV

Very funny account Rich.
Honestly I'd have quit even earlier than you did that day.

I have to say that finding a bank or two that's able to order 3 or 4k in bags a week, saves me a lot of gas and headache.
And still manages to produce good #s.

You've been at it a whole lot longer than i have, so i trust your system works well for you - aside from the rogue days like that.

At least YOU HAVE ACCESS to dump machines. I have to roll.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread