got a call from the bank this afternoon and almost had a heart attack

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i got a call today from a teller in auburn. i had left a card with her when i was in that bank about 3 months ago. she called me and said, someone just came in here and cashed in 473.00 in big silver dollars do you want them? my heart almost stopped. i told her yes and that i was on the way. i had an hour before closing to get there so i knew i was going to cut it close. all the way there i had visions of morgans and peace dollars and i was hoping that they were not ike's. i know most of you would have asked the teller more questions about them but i never say the word "silver" to a teller. NEVER. when i got there she had them waiting for me in a clear bag on the teller line. when i got my first look i knew my dreams were over......ikes. i said thank you and acted like i was very happy to get them and took them home, hoping that a silver ike morgan or peace might be inside. nope all clad. well anyway i guess i will see if anyone is buying them on feebay. i know many would not have bought them but i was afraid that if i didn't she would not call me anymore. well here are the pics for those that like ike

Attachments

• MVC-030S.JPG
    MVC-030S.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 624
  • MVC-031S.JPG
    MVC-031S.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 613
  • MVC-032S.JPG
    MVC-032S.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 605
  • MVC-033S.JPG
    MVC-033S.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 639
Upvote 0

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you never know. It could had been all the contrary but again you never know.

I have one ike and gave it to my 4 1/2 year old girl. She is figthing with my 2 1/2 year old son for the coin but I have not been able to find a second Ike. Funny.

DW

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
I Like Ike Too !!!

Attachments

• I-like-Ike.jpg
    I-like-Ike.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 616

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I would have done it the same way you did. Never mention silver. I've run across tellers that collect Ikes. Always keep a few to sell or trade with tellers.
My son and myself always carry a few cheap old coins on us.
As I was probing in Rhode Island my son crossed over to New York. He did great on handrolled dimes, but the nice score was when he traded two dug up looking,worn, and worthless Indian Heads for 11 WLH's and a Ben.(of course he had to pay the face value too) The teller was thrilled.

Best,

Rich

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
well not much demand on feebay for the ikes. think i may just list them as a lot and see. i like the ikes but i can't tie up that much money in clad right now. i may take them to a teller at my dump bank and see if she is interested. i know she is a collector

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I have been seeing lots of Ikes lately and don't always take them esp. in large quantities as they are hard to dump. Although tellers usually like them as they don't see them that often.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Hay they are fun to spend in town, you know buy gas and groceries, or just leave them for tips when you eat out. I always buy them and do that with them.

Daniel964

Jan 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I don't often see Ike's here. I like to get them and use them as tip money when the wife and I eat out. Which isn't often.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
some of them look almost uncirculated. they were in old brown coin wrappers that were the color of a paper sack, and had red markings on them. i am guessing they had been in someones stash since the 70's

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Ike dollars are great coins. No silver that sucks. Sell them in large lots of 25 or more and you can gain 10-15 dollars profit after fees. Good luck.

Golden silver

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
think i am going to get my cherrypickers guide down in the morning and check what i have against it. then i will go off to my main dump bank and see if anyone there has any interest

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
hey tim i just rechecked and i do not have any 73's. funny thing is there is not a place for a 73 in my Whitman album either. i checked the redbook and the mintage that year was 2 million so i guess they only made it that year for some special set or something. also while i was checking i got the cherrypickers guide down and the only listings in the guide refer to 40% and proof coins. oh well. :dontknow:

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
There are also quite a few interesting types with the 1972.
Maine_Jim

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up 30 of them yesterday also. People are cashing them in cause they are only worth....$1. I have been picking them up and have about 200 of them so far. In the spring I am going to do a yard sale and see if I can sell them for 1.50 each.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
TXTim said:
Any 73's?

That's right Rich. Be sure to look for any from '73 (lowest minted Ikes and NIFCs) and '77p (lowest minted Ike intended for circulation.)

I would have done the same thing. Never ask too many questions on the phone, get there as soon as you can and (in your best "reverse poker face") smile and thank them; even though it was not what you were hoping for.

For the next time could be entirely different............ 8)

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd've done the same thing that you did. If they've saved 'em for me, I'll buy 'em and thank them very much. Who knows what they'll save for you next time.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread