CRH profits...what to do with them?

myprecious

Aug 2, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites BHID 300 / Bounty Hunter IV
I've only been at this since Aug 1, 09 - and have been very lucky so far in my efforts. I hope it continues as i'm getting some real enjoyment out of it. I only do halves btw.

I've already swapped over a large chunk of my CRH finds for a couple Ozs of pure Au...
and having been a dedicated PM stacker for a long while now (and that won't change) - figured i'd take my new CRH profits going forward and put them toward establishing a mint-state slabbed registry Lincoln wheat set for my young boys to fight over someday after I'm gone.

In the last week I've already picked up 21 1958-1930 Lincoln PCGS MS66RD slabs and a few PCGS blue housing boxes as I count down to the elusive 1909-S VDB. I intend on softening that MS66RD standard here and there on harder to find keys of course. And most of the pre-1930's will end up being at best MS65RD if they can be found at all for sale.

Last year I sold my lincoln raw uncirculated penny collection which had over 200 red shiny BU beauties, and i miss having it around. But the value i was into it for - spooked me since there was no certification on most coins and no air-tight system for preservation. And with all of the work it took to find uncertified yet genuine mint state dates, i won't ever go through that again. So i've got my eyes on the new goal of the highest PCGS slabs registry set of Lincolns. I just love a tough goal. :tongue3:

Upvote 0

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
That's exactly what to do! I do the same exact thing so my extensive (and EXPENSIVE! LOL) coin collecting hobby costs me next to nothing. Don't worry about selling silver when it is low, because you're buying coins. When silver is low coins are generally lower too. Also I like coins because investment wise they're much better than silver. But I don't care about that, I just love to collect! If you want your collecting to be a TON of fun, you can't limit yourself to just looking at BU pennies. It's a ton more fun when you look at a little of everything, even if you don't buy. I mainly collect Indian Heads and BU Mercurys right now, but I dabble in Bust Halves and Morgans every now and then. I'm gonna hit the boxes hard because I have a goal to complete my Indian Head set by christmas. That includes all of the key dates! After that I'm planning on getting together a BU wheatie set. I just think it's cool to have 100 years worth of coins! That's my main goal now! And I agree! Tough goals are fun! You should also check around on ebay for deals on coins and try to flip them with your money you've gained from CRHing. If you can make profit doing that then you're making even MORE money that you can put toward your collection! This is a great hobby because I can freely buy coins! HH! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I'm saving up for a coin counting machine that I'll put in a store. I'll have it set to accept silver.

HH

Rich

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
I'm saving up for a coin counting machine that I'll put in a store. I'll have it set to accept silver.

HH

Rich

Im with you Rich. Wish I had the capital to start that these days.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might not be a bad idea to pick up a few duplicate slabbed dates of the Lincolns, especially MS-65. They're virtually guaranteed to go up.

I had several I bought about 10 years ago that I turned around and sold for three times what I paid. Now I wish I'd held on to them because they've since doubled the sold prices!

Pre-1930 are the juiciest dates to go after but don't leave out 1931-39. Check out Teletrade.com, they have a couple of slab auctions every week. You can pick up $25-$30 bargains sometimes.

Good luck on that Registry Set.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this thread is cool. Its been arounda few times always neat to see what people do. My profits from here on out go to Pierce's college fund. He is 6 now so hopefully by the time he get to college I'll be able to buy a book or two.

or by the way I did splurge and buy a tv...the guy in the picture is about 6'3"

Attachments

• outdoorTV.jpg
    outdoorTV.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 594
  • outdoorTV.jpg
    outdoorTV.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 593

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
i put my profits back into silver, lol.

seriously. i think silver will go up in value more than anything else, even gold.

if anyone wants to cash out, i'll buy your silver. I'll pay 2.25 for 40% and 5.50 for 90%. That's better than what dealers buy for but a little under what they sell for. Let me know. Send me a PM or email.

I am also buying wheats.

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
Some of the 90% halves I have found have gone to better grade franklins and walkers for my sets. - Just recently finished my Franklin set!

Currently I'm saving up for a 1909-s vdb in XF45~ or so (graded of course!).

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
figured i'd take my new CRH profits going forward and put them toward establishing a mint-state slabbed registry Lincoln wheat set for my young boys to fight over someday after I'm gone

If it were really for them, you wouldn't set things up so there'd be fighting....

Just sayin'.

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
I think some of the things I traded in for have been....a pinpointer, gun accesories, more silver, computer work, and other stuff. I like the thought of how much money I've saved when a transaction goes down.

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
when i'm retired, i plan to sell all my silver and house and buy a sailboat and sail around the world. that is 20 years off but i have taken sailing lessons already so i guess you can say i have plowed my profits into that. except of course i haven't sold, lol.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
My short term goal is to complete my wheat set also. Small world. I am 6 coins short at present.

I think the '31 S is the best bargain in the semi key wheats right now. If I were doing it for an investment, I would forgo the common dates and only buy the semi keys and the '09 S VBD. I think the wheats are set to increase nicely in the near future.

Once my set is complete, I'll probably shop for some bargain semis.

JasonB

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
unfortunately.. I'm unemployed right now in this jobless recovery.. I just had to sell my 40% halves ($100 face) to a local dealer for $425. I think I got ripped off.. he quoted me $2.20 each at first on the phone but changed his price when I got there. He sensed that I had to cash my halves to pay for bills and gave me a lower price. Sad to part with those halves that I've saved over the years. I then went to my local bank and got 3 boxes of halves and got 1 90% & 1 40% half :( At least I got 1 40 % back :) I just had to get cash quick this week unfortunately.. I couldn't wait.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My original plan was to stockpile until I could sell and buy a bigger motorcycle(I outgrew my Sportster) or use it as a down payment on a house. Then the GF lost her job and things got tight. So, for the last year and a half I've been forced to sell now and then to pay the bills.
My finds have been lousy the last couple months so now I can't even do that.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
SFBayArea said:
unfortunately.. I'm unemployed right now in this jobless recovery.. I just had to sell my 40% halves ($100 face) to a local dealer for $425. I think I got ripped off.. he quoted me $2.20 each at first on the phone but changed his price when I got there. He sensed that I had to cash my halves to pay for bills and gave me a lower price. Sad to part with those halves that I've saved over the years. I then went to my local bank and got 3 boxes of halves and got 1 90% & 1 40% half :( At least I got 1 40 % back :) I just had to get cash quick this week unfortunately.. I couldn't wait.

Yeah he jacked you for few cents, but you did very well at 2.20 a coin! I've been netting 187 on Ebay or less. You've inspired me to shop arround for what you made.

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
Well I think I'm going to paint it silver. I think $210 face value 40% was a steal ($1,000). So I got a bargain on both ends. You have to haul your profit around in something dont ya. ;D

Attachments

• IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 392

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
obediah said:
SFBayArea said:

Yeah he jacked you for few cents, but you did very well at 2.20 a coin! I've been netting 187 on Ebay or less. You've inspired me to shop arround for what you made.

That's a bunch or crap on the part of your coin dealer for changing the price on you (unless of course the price dipped from when you called and when you showed up at the store). Did you ask him why he dropped his price? Seems he knocked off 7.5 cents per coin.

Either way, 4.25X face is not bad for 40%ers considering you got them for 50 cents each.

Jim

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Much like everyone else I've been selling some to keep my hunting $$$ intact- no hunting $$$= no free silver. Then there are the incidentals, candy, gas.... I spend about $60 a month keeping my addicted tellers in candy. HH all, Mark

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold 2575 40% week before last, took out my face value, then purchased 256 ounces of bullion silver. That was ALL free silver, bought with profits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread