Impaired Proof Half Dollars

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
No market. No one wants to buy a scratched up proof. I've been assembling and upgrading a set of impaired proofs found while CRH'ing just for fun. Only costs me the face value and I find it a challenge to finding the highest grade impaired proofs for the set. The replaced impaired proofs go off to the wild.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep them if they're in very nice shape. I'd like to assemble a set of dates from '71-present if possible. I have thrown a couple of bad ones back into the wild. They were really scratched and you could barely tell that they were proofs.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obsessedwithsilver,

Those pre-71 proofs are bad luck, silver content doesn't matter. You should definitely throw them back into circulation. Fortunately, I've never run into one. :wink:

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Kantuckkeean said:
I keep them if they're in very nice shape. I'd like to assemble a set of dates from '71-present if possible. I have thrown a couple of bad ones back into the wild. They were really scratched and you could barely tell that they were proofs.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
Why do you only want a clad set? Have you no faith? HH Mark

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was only foolin' around. I'd love to find a silver proof. I just haven't been so fortunate yet.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1976, some of the halves from the San Fran. mint were silver clad (40%). Then in 1992, some halves from the San Fran. mint were made of 90% silver.

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009
I actually picked up not one, but two 1976 40% silver clads in the same roll that I got the 1970 silver proofs. Some kid must have stolen dad's coin collection.

OWS

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Kantuckkeean said:
In 1976, some of the halves from the San Fran. mint were silver clad (40%). Then in 1992, some halves from the San Fran. mint were made of 90% silver.

There are several S mint proof years after 1992 that are 90 percent silver. They are easy to spot. All the ones I have found had scratches, but at least they are silver.

greencopper said:
I am wondering if Impaired proof half dollars have any value? I go through boxes of half dollars and regularly I come across these. Some are in very good condition most are kind of banged up. Are they worth keeping? Is there a market for these?

If you are just talking about value as in selling them to a coin dealer, etc., then even the decent proofs you find will not be worth much. I keep all the nice proofs I find, but I know that no dealers around here will buy them from me since they can break open a proof set that only cost a few dollars if they want one bad enough.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread