Hi

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Hey everyone. I've been lurking at this site for five months now, and I finally decided to post something. Well, I live overseas on a US army base, so I don't get to order boxes and all those other things that I only dream of! They rarely have halves, so I don't silver hunt much. I ususally pick up $40-$50 nickels a week, witch is a drop in the bucket compared to what most people search on this site. I use to search $50 pennies a week, but they, ready for this? They RAN OUT. People don't use pennies a lot over seas, so they don't have a huge demand for them. The tellers said that they would have more pennies in by next year.

My finds are very little compared to what you guys get! I have three 1964 half dollars, that I got loose. The teller poured them on the counter, and said, "These are old!" By then, I was all excited. But, because of my stupidity, as soon as I got them, I said, "Wow, I found silver!" :cussing: Because of that, I might not ever find silver at the only American bank within miles. I also found my first war nickel acouple days ago (1943-P).

I know the rules of CRHing: Don't dump at your pickups, don't mark coins, etc. LJ is THE silver god, and shake-n-bake is my hero! Well, that's about it. I hope to see you guys around. HH!

Upvote 0

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Do you live in Germany? Can you CRH at the local non-US Bank? You might still make some good finds.

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Cheese,

I ain't forgot about you, I just haven't gone through the coin to pull the NIFC for you. I'll get around to it sometime soon, and ship 'em of to you in The Land of the Rising Sun. I still have your APO address in my PM folder.

Gotta go shrimping today.

Robin

Happyspider

Oct 22, 2008
Central NC
Detector(s) used
Whites/Minelab
Hi and welcome! I imagine in that situation it would be hard to CRH, such a tight circle of circulation, you would see the same ones over and over again... >:(

-Happyspider-

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Do you live in Germany?
it says under his avatar "Japan"
Cheese...you sure got your work cut out for you silver hunting over there.
is it possible to get rolls or bags of Japanese coin to search? i'm sure at one time they had to use silver as currency.
i tried to do some searching but have to get back to work.

OP
OP
Coins4Cheese

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
mistergee said:
Do you live in Germany?
it says under his avatar "Japan"
Cheese...you sure got your work cut out for you silver hunting over there.
is it possible to get rolls or bags of Japanese coin to search? i'm sure at one time they had to use silver as currency.
i tried to do some searching but have to get back to work.

Hey mistergee. First of all, I want to give you a really late congrats on finding all those BU bens! Anyways, I'm pretty sure that they made 100 yen ($1) coins out of silver from 1966-1967. But I'm not sure. If so, I don't think it would surpass the face value, because it's only the size of a quarter. I don't know about anyother denominations though. I've seen ONE Japanese coin roll, and it was in shrink rap, with computer laungauage on the sides of the roll. So if I get that, I might have a hard time dumping them. But I'm not sure :dontknow: Oh yeah, the dates are also hard to read, because they are in Japanese, and I'm not good at reading them.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
thanks Cheese, it was a pretty unusual score. i'll probably never top it.
i forgot thier dates were in Japanese. that point alone would make searching anything that much harder. well anyway i hope your able to order some boxes of American coin. HH

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
C4C, Welcome to the world of posting. LOL. I wondered how it would be coin roll hunting on a base overseas, now I guess I know. You might find that metal detecting over there would be just as good if not better. I know some guys that used to metal detect on a base in germany and found old silver from the 40's-60's. Just a thought. If you are in Japan, I am not sure if you can travel to the philipines cheap but if you can you might have some good success finding older silver coins there. They had the american silver philipinas coins from world war two era in circulation. There is probably a ton still floating around over there. Just some ideas. Good luck.

Golden Silver

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins4Cheese said:
Well, I live overseas on a US army base, so I don't get to order boxes and all those other things that I only dream of!
What big city are you close to? When I was in the navy I went to Sasabo and Yokosuka, that was many years ago. Been back several times since then, I have family near Fuji.

Do you meteldetect? The Japanese are known to be coin tossers. Try detecting the beaches. Most people will not even know what you are doing and they love gold. (and lose it just like everywhere else)

OP
OP
Coins4Cheese

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
cyberdan said:
Coins4Cheese said:
Well, I live overseas on a US army base, so I don't get to order boxes and all those other things that I only dream of!
What big city are you close to? When I was in the navy I went to Sasabo and Yokosuka, that was many years ago. Been back several times since then, I have family near Fuji.

Do you meteldetect? The Japanese are known to be coin tossers. Try detecting the beaches. Most people will not even know what you are doing and they love gold. (and lose it just like everywhere else)

Yeah, I do metal detect at the beach usually, and the finds are AWESOME. No jewlrey yet, but I'm waiting. In Japan, they have 500 yen coins ($5), and they cirucualte a lot. So at the beach, a lot of people transfer bills into 500 yen coins, so they can go swimming without worrying about getting bills wet. And let me tell you, I found a whole bunch of 'em! I also found some samuri era coins at the beach.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mr. Cheese,

Glad to see that you're finally posting here. I'll be in touch soon.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions