Awesome score!! My best find yet?? I need some advice.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Y'all,

I was at a bank that only had loosies last week. When I was buying the halves, the teller asked if I was a collector, to which, I replied "Yes". She then pulled out a baggie with a bunch of the rejects from the coin counter/sorter, and said that there's a bunch of foreign stuff and junk in here and asked me if I wanted it. I said sure, I love the foreign coins and junk. She said that I could have it, and she'd have more soon. I thanked her profusely.

While going through it at home with my wife (it was a big baggie), we found the following:

At least $50.00 (very conservative guess) in damaged and good condition US coins
A LOT of foreign coins (we're still trying to figure some of them out for GMan's list)

IMG_0293.JPG

My wife pulled out our second V nickel, a 1912, has a mintmark, but I can't yet tell if it's an S (I hope, I hope, I hope). She also found this little beauty, and it had 13 brothers to go with it.

IMG_0301.JPG IMG_0300.JPG

There were also a bunch or random watch batteries, tokens, and I found this clipped 1974 dime.

IMG_0302.JPG

Then, I pulled out this quarter, which is either a wrong planchet error or counterfeit. I surely hope that it is a wrong planchet error, because it could be quite valuable. It only weighs 4.1 grams, is bronze in color underneath but is covered by a silver colored metal or paint that is wearing off. It is also slightly smaller in diameter than a regular quarter, and the reeding doesn’t line up right on one side, giving it a “zipper effect” on the one side. I took it to a coin dealer, who said that it looks good (i.e. not counterfeit). He confirmed that it isn’t a US coin planchet, but said that the US Mints make coins for several countries and that it could be one of their planchets. I can’t tell if the Mintmark is a P or D. I think P, but it could very well be D. He said that I should send it to ANA. What do you all think?

IMG_0291.JPG
IMG_0290.JPG

Oh, and yes, I will be taking some Godivas and donuts to that teller. Thanks for looking.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Upvote 0

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the delayed response, but I am still catching up on 2009 posts and I've only just gotten to this one.

The first coin is a 1 Baht from Thailand (2005).

The second coin is a 1 Yuan from Taiwan (1984).

Here are a couple links I used to help me read the dates.

Thailand dates:
http://www.angelfire.com/retro/jordwm/TDates.html

Taiwan dates:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071020221647AAwIAtr

drpineapple

Apr 27, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
The one coin on the right from Taiwan is worth 1/33 of a US Dollar and says on the front Republic of China the 73rd year, which is 1984. It isn't worth anything more than face value. If anyone is interested in older coins or bills from Taiwan let me know. BTW the 1943 penny isn't zinc but steel.

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, this post is an oldie but a goodie. Thanks for the update and ID on the foreigns GMan. I'd still been wondering about those. I guess that you can add those to your tracking list once you get it updated.

User244075, I called them zinc, because they were a steel penny coated with zinc that year. I still wish they were coppers!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250
Not sure if anyone mentioned this to you yet but you can take any 1 or 2 dollar Canadians, 1 or 2 pounds, 1 or 2 dollar euros to a TravelX teller which can be found in some big banks and exchange them for US money. I do it all the time when I find them in the reject trays in the super markets. Turned in 3 pounds a few weeks ago and got about 5 bucks. Keep getting those foreigns from that teller.
HH,
Frank

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, I found a "lead" quarter one time. I don't know if it would work in a slot machine or not but couldn't understand the hassle for a lousy quarter.
Nice bank score!!

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't done anything with that quarter. I've still got it though, and would like to send it to the experts for examination. I can't understand the counterfeiting thing either. Rich talked about a profit of $0.92/$1.00 coined, but that assumes that you can actually get full value for the counterfeits. If sold in bulk, they would go for much less than face, if sold to knowing buyers. And this specimen is such a poor counterfeit (if indeed that is what it is) that if one tried to get rid of a bunch at one time, they would quickly raise red flags.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread