Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I'll bet there are a couple of dozen out of that lot left in my State. I'm determined to find them :thumbsup:

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
add another 12 million for the proofs, we find them also.... WELL you guys do I cant find silver halves!!! LOL!!!

Jason

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
They are all sitting in a well hidden bank in BFE Iowa. I mean it is always the last place you look you know. Besides has anyone ever heard of a CRHunter in Iowa? Didn't think so.

Golden Silver

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006
Daveiniowa I think was his handle...he was from the cedar falls are.He started out pretty well then things dried up for him.He still posts in the md forum but i think he gave up crhing.My girlfriends family is in iowa and they bpick up a few here and ther.they dont order boxes but get halves wherever they go.And i occasionally gp with her when she visits so i get a few to.Nothing great but its a lot better than anything in ohio lol...nothing but skunks here for the most part.hh jon

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
You forgot to factor in the fact that LJ has been doing this for a few years already. That probably accounts for 20% of all the non-melted halves that were ever made. Those halves are CLAIMED already.

:-)

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
I venture over into Iowa on my occasional road trips. Haven't found much there, much better luck in Nebraska.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I read an article that someone posted here a year ago that estimated that at least 75% of silver coins were melted down in 1979-80. Only cull Morgans and Peace dollars were melted.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Rich are you saying that in 1980 only morgans and peace were melted? Not other types of coin? I would hope so. I would believe that silver quarters and dimes were melted on a large scale. There is just so few of them now. Maybe they are in private collections.

Golden Silver

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
GS,
what I meant to say was that 79-80 3/4 of the common silver coins were melted. The good Morgans and Peace dollars were not with the exception of the culls.
A lot of Morgans were melted down years earlier as the other poster pointed out. Some of the experts say that during the great 79-80 melt anywhere from 75% to 98% of 20th century silver coins were melted down. Then again nobody kept records so this is a guess at best in my opinion.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Well you got to think all the stuff that was in private collections that has since been turned in to banks as well as all the stuff that has been dug up and turned in and all the new s mint silvers that get turned in.

Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread