How Did You Get Started?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I started collecting/hoarding Wheats when I was 9. I didn't know of dates/mintmarks. If there was Wheat on the back, it went in my Tang bank. My mother used to pick up rolls of cents when she cashed her paycheck. I've been "on the hunt" since.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone who hunts in LJ's backyard gets my sympathies. You are a brave young man going up against "The Queen of CRHing"
Good Luck to you JJ, you have a bright future. Jim

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i have known about it ever since my father introduced me to coins (1960's). it was also written in the coin folders how to get coins for your collection. i didn't do it then because i didn't have the funds to do it so i stuck with looking through pocket change. i didn't start doing it until last year when i discovered this site. mainly because i didn't think silver could still be found in change. after reading of all the recent finds i tried it.......been doing it ever since.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
JJ,

I was searching the web for Metal Detecting Clubs and I found this Website. I read the forum for a couple of weeks and decided to try CRH for myself.
First time out I had beginners luck. I told my eldest son, ScoobaSteve about the hobby. On his first hunt he had beginners luck and scored a large stash.
That was 11 months ago, and we are still at it.

HH
Rich

exnatomp

Jan 1, 2009
I've been a coin collector since I was a kid, mainly wheats from my parents coin jars when they were full, along with the occasional silver dime. Zoom ahead 10-15 years, I was stationed in Germany in the late 90's. American currency can only be used on US bases, so I was sending some mail out when I got a wheat cent in my change. I guessed if there is one wheat cent here then there must be more. I started searching rolls. I got out in Dec. '00 and went back home. In my bags I had over 300 wheats, a silver quarter and a couple silver dimes. Soon after I started my new job I dived head first into CRH and haven't looked back since.

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
Long time collector, mostly Morgans, Peace and Trade Dollars.
I have a stash of "junk" silver (90% circulated coin) that I add to on occassion. Last July when I was searching online for "90% silver roll" prices, I stumbled on this site. I thought - "Gee, why pay for junk silver if they're giving it away?" Took the $200 I was going to spend outright at the coin shop and swapped it for bank rolls.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
About 3 years ago I ran across this website as a metal detectorist. At the time that was all I could think of. I had some great finds but I kind of got burnt out on it. Especially after finding a great place that was producing a lot of large silver and someone came along and said I could not metal detect there. I mean it was a public park but in this city it didn't matter. I got tired of getting pushed from one place to the next. I began to read other parts of this website and ran across CRHing. I have been doing it ever since. Two years now.

Golden Silver

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody posted their crh finds in todays finds (he got ripped a new one by the other posters). but not after I saw his post. Over $500,000 in half dollars later and a few calloses on fingers I'm still here

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just cut and pasted this from my very first post on this site 12-12-06. Guess I have been doing it almost 3 years now.

I am very new at CRH (I like that, didn't know what to call it) I live in So CAL and metal detect with an XLT.

One month ago, somebody that I know, innocently asked me if silver could still be found in loose change. I had never heard of CRH and thought about what he said. I figured that since I never saw Kennedy's any more and I could get them at the bank, odds were pretty good that there might be something. One week ago I went to the bank and asked if they had any rolls and the teller next to me spoke up and said they just got one box in. I didn't know what the box cost but said OK I will take it. I was surprised $500 could weigh so much.

It took me less than a week to go through and now I am hooked.
2 - 90% (one is a 1935 walking liberty)
4 - 40%
3 - BU in the 80s

and 1 plastic token that says "good for 1 drink" at a Shriners lodge that is about 15 miles away. (that roll still had a full $10)

I thought I would be one of the few with my new found hobby till I did a google search.

Well one more person to dilute the silver crop out there, sorry.

I buy mine at one bank where I have my savings account and deposit them at a credit union where I have a different account.

Has any one ever gotten any grief for bringing in a ton of coins? My credit union says I must roll all coins.

Dan
Boy I have come a long way since I posted that.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Diver_Down said:
I started collecting/hoarding Wheats when I was 9. I didn't know of dates/mintmarks. If there was Wheat on the back, it went in my Tang bank. My mother used to pick up rolls of cents when she cashed her paycheck. I've been "on the hunt" since.

The hunt has lasted for 25+ years and counting.

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
I started when my dad got me a state quarter book back in 2001. Then, he got me a penny album, and he would sometimes bring back penny rolls from the bank. I remember opening a roll and finding it all full of 1959 BU cents... That really got me hooked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread