look what i found in my half box today

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i have found these things before but today i found 154 of them in one box. it is a sticker that says aunt chiladas easy street cafe est. 1988. so i google it and get a phone number 843-785-7700 and i call it right at lunch time. i tell the girl that answers the phone that i want to know what i have won since i have found several halves with their ads on them. at first she plays dumb but i just keep pestering her with questions about prizes and such and she then tells me that they use halves at "happy hour" as change for 50 cent beer and that i had not won anything. i could tell she wanted to get off the phone so i asked her why they did that and told her that it was very confusing for someone and i just started to act stupid and waste her time. why did i do this? because in my book this is worse than marking coins. maybe we all should call them and request a prize :tongue3: :tongue3:

Attachments

• MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 977
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 957
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 955
Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
I've gotten these before to, like that; they gave me idea of trying to market them to buissines's as way to make living and get Half's for Silver too. Have not been able to figure the right approach to it yet to make it work when doing a presentation to sell it, but it is in the back of mt mind as mull it over & over, kinda in my Silver neurosis. ;D

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i have never found one that had the sticker on it that was silver so that makes me think there is a hunter in the mix. i still think we ought to call um and get on their nerves :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only is it worse then marking halves, but it is illegal to put advertising stickers on circulating US coins. Remember the state quarters/Silver Surfer deal? They had to stop putting the movie sticker on the new state quarters.

But if you find any halves you want to keep- one way to get rid of stickers is to use some WD40, trouble is you would have to have a paint can full to soak all those halves.

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
My son decided he wanted to help me search some coins. After a few minutes, he calls me sounding a little puzzled. He said, "here's a strange one with a 24cents sticker on it. Turned out some idiot had taped a 25 cent sticker on a Franklin half. Wish I got a lot of those. :tongue3:

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
There is a fish and tackle shop around here that puts stickers on halves and gives them as change, I figured they were silver culling but I did find one 40%er with a sticker once. HH Mark

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davew0710 said:
Your contagious!!!!v Just started my 3 boxes and I'm getting "monkey money" and "honi honi" stickers in the rolls :help:

The question is, are any of them silver?

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
DrDetector said:
AGCoinHunter said:
davew0710 said:
Your contagious!!!!v Just started my 3 boxes and I'm getting "monkey money" and "honi honi" stickers in the rolls :help:

The question is, are any of them silver?

I have found a Monkey Money half that was silver before.

None of my monkeys were silver, but I got 2 Franklins, one 64, eight 40% and two 81 proofs today

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i have a few pennies with stickers on them. they are from an ice cream stand in Sullivan county. i got them in change one year during deer season.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silvercop, found one of your Aunt Chiladas halves in my bag last night...

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
IF your really concerned about removing the stickers, another way would be to boil the coins, or steam them. It will soften the adhesive, and the sticker should just peel off. ;D

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
That's a pretty good restaurant in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. I go there every summer for two weeks with my parents, and we always go to Aunt Chiladas at least once during our trip. I also find those stickered coins every once and a while and I think it's funny considering I've actually been there plenty of times. :tongue3:

-Paul

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obediah said:
AGCoinHunter said:
Silvercop, found one of your Aunt Chiladas halves in my bag last night...

Are you near him, in or near Alabama?

Next to him, Georgia.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
those things are everywhere. i found a few yesterday in my20 boxes. funny thing is up to the time i found those 100's of them i thought i was getting the same coins back every other week or so. still say they should not mark them. i have called them a few times just to pester them and ask stupid questions about why they marked the coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread